Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Planting medium strategies? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43093)

ChefBertMor November 12, 2016 10:45 AM

Planting medium strategies?

I'm going to get my containers ready for the season and trying to decide what mediums I should use. I used pine bark fines andProMix in the past and I had good results. Im trying to be cheap now. Could I get just plain peat at the box store and then add mychorizae purchased off of Amazon. I plan on adding some perlite and vermiculite as well. I heard Azomite might be worth adding as well. any suggestions?

Chef Bert

dmforcier November 12, 2016 12:33 PM

Boca Raton isn't all that rainy, so no need for a super-draining mix like 5-1-1 or permutations thereon. I'd just use Miracle-Gro Potting Mix, which needs no amendment and is relatively cheap.

Ricky Shaw November 12, 2016 03:04 PM

The compromises are cost, yield, space, and they can be prioritized in a number of ways.

My costs including ferts on a 15gal pot are about $15. And for that money, I'm pretty sure I can average 25lbs of tomatoes per plant or 60 cents a pound.

I believe I could lower my costs, but I also think efficiency would suffer. So say I lower my costs to $5 a pot and my production is now 15lbs or 33 cents a pound.

I have lowered my cost of tomatoes, but I have fewer pounds in the same amount of space using approximately as much fertilizer.

Cole_Robbie November 12, 2016 03:13 PM

There are a few do-it-yourself recipes on this site for making your own mix. I believe one is supposed to adjust for the PH of the peat when doing so. I don't think it is a big cost-saver for me. Pro Mix in the bale that expands to four cubic feet is about $15 for me at Menard's. I add mycogrow and osmocote, and that's all.

dmforcier November 12, 2016 04:34 PM

[QUOTE=Ricky Shaw;599591]So say I lower my costs to $5 a pot and my production is now 15lbs or 33 cents a pound.[/QUOTE]

Your point is good, but...

$15 / 25 lb = 60˘ /lb
$10 / 15 lb = [B]67[/B]˘ /lb

:panic:

ChefBertMor November 12, 2016 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;599558]Boca Raton isn't all that rainy, so no need for a super-draining mix like 5-1-1 or permutations thereon. I'd just use Miracle-Gro Potting Mix, which needs no amendment and is relatively cheap.[/QUOTE]

I used a 3-1-1 recipe. Since i"m using SIP's rain is a non factor. Thanks for your help

Ricky Shaw November 12, 2016 05:06 PM

I believe everything checks, but I'm wrong plenty and it's only a theoretical.

The example was, lower my cost [B]to[/B] $5, not [B]by[/B] $5.

15lbs costing $5 = .33 lb

ChefBertMor November 12, 2016 05:16 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;599592]There are a few do-it-yourself recipes on this site for making your own mix. I believe one is supposed to adjust for the PH of the peat when doing so. I don't think it is a big cost-saver for me. Pro Mix in the bale that expands to four cubic feet is about $15 for me at Menard's. I add mycogrow and osmocote, and that's all.[/QUOTE]

I wish I knew where you got your ProMix. it is very hard to find around here. My ProMix HP 2.8 cf bale cost $28 I think. If I buy peat and add mycorhhizae it might be a whole lot cheaper, no?

dmforcier November 12, 2016 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=Ricky Shaw;599615]
The example was, lower my cost [B]to[/B] $5, not [B]by[/B] $5.[/QUOTE]
Ah! This is what happens when one goes right for the numbers. Sorry.

[QUOTE=ChefBertMor;599621]I wish I knew where you got your ProMix. it is very hard to find around here. My ProMix HP 2.8 cf bale cost $28 I think. If I buy peat and add mycorhhizae it might be a whole lot cheaper, no?[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen it anywhere near that cheap. And peat itself isn't far off the cost of a pre-mix.

I take it you've had good results with mycorhhizae? I've long understood that it isn't particularly effective in containers, so haven't used it.

Cole_Robbie November 12, 2016 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=ChefBertMor;599621]I wish I knew where you got your ProMix. it is very hard to find around here. My ProMix HP 2.8 cf bale cost $28 I think. If I buy peat and add mycorhhizae it might be a whole lot cheaper, no?[/QUOTE]

Here's the link. It's $13.99 for the bale that expands to 4 cubic feet:
[url]http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/gardening/lawn-plant-care/compost-soils-amendments/all-purpose-professional-growers-mix-2-cu-ft/p-1444451345687-c-1463608034794.htm?tid=176356555217217074[/url]

ChefBertMor November 12, 2016 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;599634]Here's the link. It's $13.99 for the bale that expands to 4 cubic feet:
[URL]http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/gardening/lawn-plant-care/compost-soils-amendments/all-purpose-professional-growers-mix-2-cu-ft/p-1444451345687-c-1463608034794.htm?tid=176356555217217074[/URL][/QUOTE]

Thats not the package I got. Mine was the white with orange and black

This stuff [URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GP7TR2O/ref=pd_day0_86_3?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GP7TR2O&pd_rd_r=CVYDWE1SJHX9YM1Z25JR&pd_rd_w=zplq6&pd_rd_wg=t0xSk&psc=1&refRID=CVYDWE1SJHX9YM1Z25JR"]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GP7TR2O/ref=pd_day0_86_3?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GP7TR2O&pd_rd_r=CVYDWE1SJHX9YM1Z25JR&pd_rd_w=zplq6&pd_rd_wg=t0xSk&psc=1&refRID=CVYDWE1SJHX9YM1Z25JR [/URL]

A lot more expensive
[URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GP7TR2O/ref=pd_day0_86_3?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GP7TR2O&pd_rd_r=CVYDWE1SJHX9YM1Z25JR&pd_rd_w=zplq6&pd_rd_wg=t0xSk&psc=1&refRID=CVYDWE1SJHX9YM1Z25JR"][/URL]

Barb_FL November 12, 2016 06:42 PM

Bert - I'm in the same boat as you re: ProMix. There is one supplier close to where I live. I faithfully use it and it was $41 for a 3.x Compressed bale but since the election when growing medical marijuana was passed, it is now $48.

Miracle Grow was $14-$15 so was no cheaper; just worse mix.

I have a ton of perlite so bought a bale of peat moss from Lowes for $11. I have one empty EB so am going to try it.

----
BTW - I solarize the mix at the end of the season so do get multiple seasons with it.

ChefBertMor November 12, 2016 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;599628]Ah! This is what happens when one goes right for the numbers. Sorry.

I haven't seen it anywhere near that cheap. And peat itself isn't far off the cost of a pre-mix.

I take it you've had good results with mycorhhizae? I've long understood that it isn't particularly effective in containers, so haven't used it.[/QUOTE]

The ProMix has mycorhhizae in it. Worked for me. As I understand as long as there are roots the symbiotic relationship would be unaffected if it was in the ground or in the container. YMMV

ChefBertMor November 12, 2016 06:52 PM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;599639]Bert - I'm in the same boat as you re: ProMix. There is one supplier close to where I live. I faithfully use it and it was $41 for a 3.x Compressed bale but since the election when growing medical marijuana was passed, it is now $48.

Miracle Grow was $14-$15 so was no cheaper; just worse mix.

I have a ton of perlite so bought a bale of peat moss from Lowes for $11. I have one empty EB so am going to try it.

----
BTW - I solarize the mix at the end of the season so do get multiple seasons with it.[/QUOTE]

You mean since Wed morning they bumped the price because of Amendment #2 Legalizing Medicl Marijauna? There is going to be months and months of hearings to get the regulations in place. No real reason for such a proice increase.

Miracle Grow @$15 is no cheaper than Pro Mix? Or do you mean straight peat moss?

Im basically trying to make my own home made ProMix at a much cheaper price.

Im not counting price per pound or any of that. Just trying to minimize and do for myself instead of buying pre made.

Heck Im a chef I cook everything from scratch if I can, I even bake the Marvelous Magical Monty the Wonder Lab's doggie treats, easy peasy

Barb_FL November 12, 2016 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=ChefBertMor;599644]You mean since Wed morning they bumped the price because of Amendment #2 Legalizing Medicl Marijauna? There is going to be months and months of hearings to get the regulations in place. No real reason for such a proice increase.

Miracle Grow @$15 is no cheaper than Pro Mix? Or do you mean straight peat moss?

Im basically trying to make my own home made ProMix at a much cheaper price.

Im not counting price per pound or any of that. Just trying to minimize and do for myself instead of buying pre made.

Heck Im a chef I cook everything from scratch if I can, I even bake the Marvelous Magical Monty the Wonder Lab's doggie treats, easy peasy[/QUOTE]

The ProMix uncompressed makes 7 Cubic Feet of mix (or fills 3.5 Earthboxes)
EB need 2 CU feet of mix.

A 50 quart bag of Miracle Grow doesn't even fill 1 Earthbox; cost $13 (HomeDepot)

So it would take over 3.5 bags to fill 3 EB = $45.5

Even at Walmart, Miracle Grow cost $7.42 for 1 Cubic Ft, so 7 Cu Ft is $51.94

----
I haven't bought Miracle Grow Mix in years but I remember it was really crappy with chunks of wood in it.

I bought 3 CU Ft compressed Peat Moss for $11.48, by the time I add a ton of Perlite, it will make over 7 CU ft of mix.