Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Orange Slice (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40051)

Koala Doug July 7, 2018 07:57 PM

[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond][U]gssgarden[/U] - The oblate ones in the first picture are visually striking to me.[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][FONT=Garamond]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
:)

gssgarden July 16, 2018 10:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok..here's my update.
The regular leaf plant is just not producing. Had the one, but it had a split I didn't see and she rotted. MAYBE another fruit or two before years end.

The Potato leaf one has produced a few fruit of a few ounces. Beautiful color.
I let the first one get REALLY ripe. To ripe as it started to grow something inside. Didn't taste it.
The second was fine. The taste was outstanding!! Full bodied! A real winner in my book.
EXTREMELY meaty as the pics show. I only got a few seeds from her but will get more next tomato.
Really looking to see what next year brings!
This is one great tasting tomato!!

Greg

pmcgrady July 17, 2018 07:58 AM

Wow! And they look picture perfect! They look better than the original F1 Orange Slice.

gssgarden July 17, 2018 08:43 PM

Grady, the 2 that I had so far really were picture perfect. Lol
I really hope they grow the same next year. I'm shooting for the same exact tomato.
This one had a lot of frost damage so it got off to a very bad start.
The next one I'll cut in half for pics, squeeze the seeds, and DEFINETLY eat the rest! Lol

Will keep you updated.

Greg

bigpinks July 23, 2018 05:38 PM

Some of mine are a bit mealy due to the monsoon but still a very solid fruit and wonderful to look at. I have 9 plants and they rival Big Beef for productivity and are larger also. I buy seed from Burpee.

gssgarden February 17, 2019 04:54 PM

Planted my F4 Orange slice seeds yesterday. HOPE to get those blocky fruits from last year. I will only grow the potato leaf ones.
It was an exceptional tomato. I’ll know in a week!

Fingers crossed!!

Greg

nyrfan February 18, 2019 10:59 AM

RE: [url]http://www.tomatoville.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=83219&stc=1&d=1531793541[/url]

Looks a lot like Moonglow!

gssgarden February 18, 2019 05:32 PM

Nyrfan, from what I read Moonglow is regular leaf. Mine was definitely potato leaf. One site had as it at 6-8 oz as well. Mine were not close to that.
Most pics from google look very different as well. Some are oblate, round, much more gel etc.

Who know what I’ll get but I will grow potato leaf only. Prob 4 plants or so.

Greg

pmcgrady February 18, 2019 07:58 PM

Interesting what you will come up with. I'm leaning towards Japanese tomatoes again this year.
Mandarin is an OP that looks similar to the round tomato. PM if you want some seed to compare, these are RL...if you end up with some PL seeds from this year, I'd be interested in growing a few out.

gssgarden February 18, 2019 08:11 PM

I planted about 20 seeds or so. My best looking ones. Another 10 from the same plant, different fruit that I’m not sure about because I let them dry out in their cup. Lol

I’ll let you know and I can ship you some seedlings if they turn out to be PL.

Greg

pmcgrady February 18, 2019 08:35 PM

Don't need seedlings, just seeds

gssgarden February 20, 2019 02:53 PM

Day 4 after planting and a couple are starting to break ground! In a few days I should have my germination rate.

How was yours Grady?

Greg

gssgarden February 26, 2019 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They're looking promising!! Looking like PL! :)

gssgarden February 28, 2019 02:00 PM

Looks like they're all PL!! That's great news! Pot up will be this weekend. Prob pot up 8 of them, plant 6 and have a friend or neighbor grow 2 more. I HOPE they are the same tomato!

Greg

gssgarden February 28, 2019 02:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The pics..