Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Herbs (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Strawberry Spinach (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35276)

ginger2778 March 1, 2015 10:40 AM

Strawberry Spinach

I just saw an ad banner for Park Seed advertising Strawberry Spinach. It is an herb with small green leaves you can use like spinach and small berries that taste like a mulberry according to them. It's on sale. Anyone ever grow this? I would really like to hear some insight if you know about it. Worth growing?

NarnianGarden March 2, 2015 07:58 AM

I've got seeds, but didn't have enough space to grow it last year. However, I've read the berries are nothing to mention about - pretty but tasteless. The leaves on the other hand are good to be used in salads.

Starlight March 2, 2015 01:12 PM

That's what I have heard too. I know a lot of veggie folks and you don't see them mentioning it for what is good for salads, so it must not be very popular.

Though it never hurts to try something new. It might just fit your taste buds perfectly. : )

ginger2778 March 2, 2015 03:44 PM

They look very pretty in the Park Seeds online page. But then again, it is Park we are talking about.:?!?:

NarnianGarden March 2, 2015 04:15 PM

It is actually an ancient garden herb that was popular in convents in the Middle ages - so it does have the historical appeal :-)

Starlight March 2, 2015 04:57 PM

If you do order Park's sale seed, make sure you check back for updates often. I had ordered two packs of the Bulgarian Carrot Pepper seeds and two months later was finally able to find out that they had been out for awhile and no notice sent. Was not a happy person as I really wanted them peppers.

If your looking for Spinach, I have Medania , Olympia and Climbing Spinach which is an edible ornamental, also known as Malabar Spinach. It vines all over. Be glad to send ya some.

ginger2778 March 2, 2015 05:51 PM

[QUOTE=Starlight;454317]If you do order Park's sale seed, make sure you check back for updates often. I had ordered two packs of the Bulgarian Carrot Pepper seeds and two months later was finally able to find out that they had been out for awhile and no notice sent. Was not a happy person as I really wanted them peppers.

If your looking for Spinach, I have Medania , Olympia and Climbing Spinach which is an edible ornamental, also known as Malabar Spinach. It vines all over. Be glad to send ya some.[/QUOTE]

Historical appeal, that is interesting. I wonder if anyone has tasted it that posts here. It looked so pretty and unusual, but I don't want to waste garden space on it.
Starlight, thanks for the offer. I'll be starting seed again in August, but I never grew spinach. This was more like an herb and berry, not much like spinach. I was given a Malabar spinach plant last year, it grew well. Too mucilaginous for me. I wouldn't mind a few seeds of the other two, if they are like typical spinach you get in a salad bag.:)

Starlight March 2, 2015 06:18 PM

Yes, the other two are "salad bag" types of spinach. Great description. :lol:

I'll get them in the mail to you. :)

ginger2778 March 2, 2015 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=Starlight;454327]Yes, the other two are "salad bag" types of spinach. Great description. :lol:

I'll get them in the mail to you. :)[/QUOTE]
Awesome. I'll PM you for where to send the SASE.

loudog March 29, 2015 12:53 AM

Are you talking about beetberry?

ginger2778 March 29, 2015 06:35 AM

[QUOTE=loudog;460691]Are you talking about beetberry?[/QUOTE]

Ijust googled beetberry, and it does appear to be the same thing, another name.

HeatherT March 29, 2015 10:06 AM

I have a package that came from SSE and the description reads like this. "Grown in Europe for centuries. Very showy compact 18" plants are grown for their nutritious triangular toothed leaves and tender shoots, used in salads or steamed. Shiny red mulberry-like fruits are edible and can be added to salads or used for dying. Becoming scarce. Self-seeding annual, 90 days."

We live in a townhome with a HOA, technically there are no "food" plants allowed in the front of the units but I tend to push the boundaries when I can, these are just pretty ornamentals like the two Honeyberry bushes.;)

Heather