Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Has anyone ever tried this? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27681)

kforbs126 April 22, 2013 05:34 PM

Has anyone ever tried this?

So I had a bunch of extra peppers and I didn't want to throw them away. So instead of throwing them away I put 7 peppers in a 5 gallon bucket about a month ago and put them outside to see what would happen. So far they are growing really well, which surprises me. I actually don't even know what peppers I threw in there. I call it my pepper experiment. I want to see what grows, how much/if they fruit and how long they'll last. Posted a pic on my blog.

[url]http://forbsfreeman.blogspot.com/[/url]

:D

peppero April 23, 2013 08:46 AM

in my opinion you have 5 or 6 too many but then you might do better than many will think so. i wish you success.

jon:yes:

Mojave April 23, 2013 05:45 PM

I have to second what Jon said, but wow, they sure look happy!

kforbs126 April 23, 2013 06:45 PM

Thanks guys, that's the weird thing is how well they are aactually doing. We shall see if they actually put out any fruit. I figured what's the worst that can happen. I get a few peppers instead of throwing away perfectly good plants.

Mojave April 23, 2013 07:05 PM

I know what you mean. Throwing away plants is too distressing, especially if they're healthy or even have a slight chance of surviving. I usually devote an area outside of the garden for these plants.
:)

ninilie April 23, 2013 11:31 PM

I have almost begged all of my friends and neighbors to take my extra tomato seedlings with only one taker. To get her to take them I had to leave them at her door step. I feel sadness at the thought of having to get rid of them. Some even have fruit on them. Wish I had a bigger balcony. I barely had any loss but i guess that is the gamble you take.

kforbs126 April 24, 2013 12:04 AM

I understand completely, I still have a bunch of extras and my cousin is gonna take some but I'll probably still want to give some away. I wish I had a house or a bigger porch so I could plant more.

kforbs126 May 25, 2013 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just an update. The pepper plants are just huge and all have small peppers on them.

Uploading a pic. The green stick is 2 feet just to give you an idea of how well they are doing.

bower May 25, 2013 08:17 PM

They look great, like a wild patch of peppers.:)
Are they all different kinds, or the same?

kforbs126 May 25, 2013 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=bower;351037]They look great, like a wild patch of peppers.:)
Are they all different kinds, or the same?[/QUOTE]

There are 4 different kinds and I just threw them in there so I'm not even sure what is what unless I look at the fruit. I just put together 2 more buckets with the extra's I had left. I planted way too many peppers and no one wanted any. Oh well more for me :)

bower May 25, 2013 09:01 PM

Well, it's going to be pretty with four different kinds of peppers. :roll: Hope you post a pic of the bouquet.

Mojave May 25, 2013 10:32 PM

Fantastic!!

noinwi May 26, 2013 02:32 AM

You might want to get a large tomato cage around those before the get any larger. It would be a shame to have one of them snap once they have a bunch of pods on. They can get top heavy before you know it. Hope you get a good harvest!

kforbs126 May 26, 2013 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=noinwi;351110]You might want to get a large tomato cage around those before the get any larger. It would be a shame to have one of them snap once they have a bunch of pods on. They can get top heavy before you know it. Hope you get a good harvest![/QUOTE]

I did that this morning. I actually had them sitting in between 2 tomatoes and they grew like crazy so I pulled them out to sit by themselves. Hopefully I get a good amount of peppers from these. I'll keep updating!

rockhound May 27, 2013 05:04 AM

I have had some hot peppers grow well (planted in the ground) as close as six inches. Some just do better crowded up like beans. Cayenne and white bullet habs in particular. Good luck with yours!