Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bi Color (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46754)

bigpinks February 19, 2018 03:41 PM

Bi Color

Garden is inundated with early blight. What is the best yellow/red for a large container started in zone 6 in mid July for late tomatoes? Thanks.

Labradors2 February 19, 2018 04:00 PM

Little Lucky is my favourite bi-colour. It is late, but not THAT late :)

Linda

Father'sDaughter February 19, 2018 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=bigpinks;684368]started in zone 6 in mid July for late tomatoes? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Do you want to plant out in mid-July or start seeds in mid-July? Not sure you'll realistically get much of a harvest if you wait that late to start seeds.

I have waited until early/mid-July (post-garlic harvest) to plant out any extra tomato seedlings I didn't have the heart to toss and are still hanging on, and have had decent harvests even from mid-season varieties.

bigpinks February 19, 2018 09:33 PM

plant not seed....thanks

Father'sDaughter February 19, 2018 10:11 PM

Then with plants you can probably go with any variety identified as early, early-mid, or mid season and still get a harvest. For me the ones that go out that late grow very quickly, produce much faster, and hang on later into the fall.

Cole_Robbie February 20, 2018 02:12 AM

I haven't had Little Lucky, but I imagine it is as delicious as Lucky Cross. The dwarf variety Wherocowhai is 1/2 Lucky Cross, and I think tastes identical. Low yield and late producer for me, but amazing flavor.

Some yellow varieties will blush red on the end when very ripe, and resemble a bicolor, even if not technically one. Dwarf Sweet Sue is a favorite of mine, and it blushes like that.

In a container that size, I'd grow a dwarf. Other people on here have better luck with regular indeterminates in containers than I do, so it is obviously possible, but I do better with dwarfs.

bigpinks February 20, 2018 06:10 AM

I have tentatively decided to start Hillbilly, Mortgage Lifter and Cherokee Purple from seed late May to plant out early July. I have had moderate success doing this for a few yrs using suckers from the garden plants. They make a few tomatoes before failing from the same blight. Plan to clean containers with soap bleach and fill with quasi 5-1-1 mix and hope for longer life. Might even shoot for a late June planting. First frost here usually 2nd week of Oct or later. If I get much air born fungi this will be my last attempt as filling six 20 gal totes is hard work and expensive.

Labradors2 February 21, 2018 12:00 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;684461]I haven't had Little Lucky, but I imagine it is as delicious as Lucky Cross. The dwarf variety Wherocowhai is 1/2 Lucky Cross, and I think tastes identical. Low yield and late producer for me, but amazing flavor.

Some yellow varieties will blush red on the end when very ripe, and resemble a bicolor, even if not technically one. Dwarf Sweet Sue is a favorite of mine, and it blushes like that.

In a container that size, I'd grow a dwarf. Other people on here have better luck with regular indeterminates in containers than I do, so it is obviously possible, but I do better with dwarfs.[/QUOTE]

I think that Wherokowhai tastes slightly better than Little Lucky. (I've never tasted Lucky Cross). My problem is that the dwarfs seem even more disease-prone than the non-dwarfs in my garden and that could be because of the cages that tend to hold all the foliage close. I grow the indeterminates up strings so they get more airflow.

I love Little Lucky because the fruit size is perfect for me and, being smaller, it matures earlier than its Brandywine parent :). I wouldn't say it is stingy, but then it tastes so good that I am grateful for all the tomatoes it give me!

Linda

bigpinks February 22, 2018 06:36 AM

Bi Color

I have been growing from seed for several yrs. Late May to early July could indeed be 6 wks. But I prob will shoot more for a late June plant out.

TC_Manhattan March 3, 2018 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;684461]I haven't had Little Lucky, but I imagine it is as delicious as Lucky Cross. The dwarf variety Wherocowhai is 1/2 Lucky Cross, and I think tastes identical. Low yield and late producer for me, but amazing flavor.

In a container that size, I'd grow a dwarf. Other people on here have better luck with regular indeterminates in containers than I do, so it is obviously possible, but I do better with dwarfs.[/QUOTE]

I second Cole Robbie's suggestion for Wherokowhai! I consider it a dwarf Lucky Cross.
Plant two if you're concerned the yield might be low..

HudsonValley March 4, 2018 01:55 AM

Pineapple Fog? 75 DTM, but fruit size is a saladette...

I'm trying it this year and hoping I like it more than the German Striped and Gold Medal plants that keep disappointing me with their stinginess and lateness.

wildcat62 March 4, 2018 05:37 PM

I was going to suggest Hillbilly.