Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Show Your Seedlings (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46955)

Gardeneer March 9, 2018 11:58 PM

Show Your Seedlings

1 Attachment(s)
Let me see if I can post picture , using my phone.
Ok. Got
BYW i sowed the seeds on Feb 1st.
This picture is 10 days old.

wildcat62 March 10, 2018 04:35 PM

Nice & healthy looking.

roper2008 March 10, 2018 08:46 PM

Very nice seedlings. I had 3 tomatoes seeds germinate a few days ago. 2 maglia Rosa, and 1 Cherry Roma.

HappyLittleAcreMark March 11, 2018 01:54 AM

The downside of participating in the MMMM: too many varieties, no self control.
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/ZZlLEWKl.jpg[/IMG]

Worth1 March 11, 2018 08:03 AM

All I have is store bought seedlings.:roll:
Worth

clkeiper March 11, 2018 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;688553]All I have is store bought seedlings.:roll:
Worth[/QUOTE]

thats okay Worth. store bought is fine. the advantage to store bought is you only have as many as you need. the disadvantage is having only what they grow. nor did you have to babysit the seedlings for weeks on end until it was garden time. If I didn't have a greenhouse... nah, I would grow mine.

Worth1 March 11, 2018 09:44 AM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;688571]thats okay Worth. store bought is fine. the advantage to store bought is you only have as many as you need. the disadvantage is having only what they grow. nor did you have to babysit the seedlings for weeks on end until it was garden time. If I didn't have a greenhouse... nah, I would grow mine.[/QUOTE]

If it weren't for HEB selling what I want I would grow my own like I used to.
They dont have everything but they have more or less what I can live with.
That and the fact they aren't Bonnie plants.

Worth1 March 11, 2018 09:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are a few.
Mortgage Lifter and ghost pepper.
Worth
[ATTACH]79643[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]79644[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]79645[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]79646[/ATTACH]

clkeiper March 11, 2018 05:13 PM

they look like nice plants. I don't like mortgage lifter and I wouldn't buy them but if I did and they looked that nice... why waste my time starting them. I say this all the time... why do a mediocre job on something... waste your time and be unhappy with the outcome when you could have paid someone to do it well, spent your time doing something else you do well or enjoy doing and being happy with the end product. logic to me.

Worth1 March 11, 2018 05:18 PM

I like others better but it was so productive last year I am doing it again.
I haven't bought a fresh tomato since last years plants

ScottinAtlanta March 11, 2018 05:19 PM

I get it, but I start practically everything from seed. It gives me much more choice, much more flexibility, and much more control over, say, leaf development versus root development. When I plant out, the leaves on my tomatoes are much less developed than those at Lowes, but the root balls are larger and more developed. Which is what I want.

Worth1 March 11, 2018 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=ScottinAtlanta;688695]I get it, but I start practically everything from seed. It gives me much more choice, much more flexibility, and much more control over, say, leaf development versus root development. When I plant out, the leaves on my tomatoes are much less developed than those at Lowes, but the root balls are larger and more developed. Which is what I want.[/QUOTE]
They aren't from Big Box and I simply dont have the time or the date gets way from me to start seeds.
The other is I have no control and will end up planting a pile of stuff.
Then I end up running around trying to find places to put them.
From my point of view it is like kids.
I could raise one child but would not be able to take care of ten the way they should be.

I have so many things going on that I dont even mention them here.:lol:

Worth

Goodloe March 11, 2018 06:39 PM

I hear ya, Worth. The bulk of my production comes from the hybrid Big Boys, Early Girls, and Big Beef that I buy from my local grocery store. At about $1.25 per 3-pack, it makes no sense (to me) to grow those from seed. I rotate in about 3 or 4 heirloom varieties every year that I do grow from seed. This year, they are Chapman, Delicious, and thanks to the generosity of a new friend here at TV, Sioux, Bradley, and Cleota Pink.

I grow most of my peppers from seed simply because I can't find seedlings of what I want around heah...

Jon

Gardeneer March 11, 2018 11:39 PM

In my case I could not find the 23 varieties that I am growing in store. Maybe one or two of them.
That is why I start from seed. Plus my seedlings wont come with disease. The other thing is cost. Bonni plant cost $4 each. So my 35 plants would cost me $140.

pjhootch March 12, 2018 09:06 PM

I grow from seed now because I do not have much ground in the sun, so do a lot of container gardening with a handful in the ground, so I can carefully choose my heirloom types. But lets be real... I grow from seed because I get spring fever in February and cannot stand it anymore by the beginning of March. Our last frost date is in May so I have to do something to keep from losing my mind at the end of winter. I supply heirloom seedlings to a few friends too, with a hybrid thrown in here or there.