Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   True North Tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35894)

KarenO February 2, 2020 11:20 PM

[QUOTE=davidj;753097]Hi Karen, I can't wait to try your tomato varieties ! I bought seeds of:
- Polaris (I'll compare it to Black Sea Man, which works well for me)
- Midnight Sun
- Taiga
- True Colors
- Zena's Gift

I like all purpose meaty not-too-juicy tomato that I can use for sandwich and also for sauce, so it seems I should like them all ! I'll report my results !

Are you breeding any orange tomato ?[/QUOTE]

You will find Polaris very different from black sea man which is determinate and regular leaf with a yellow epidermis.
I hope you will enjoy them.
I do have an orange in the works but early stages.
I look forward to hearing how they do for you!
KarenO

Whwoz February 20, 2020 05:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
KarenO, Polarised ripened about a week ago, and the two Midnight Sun's are loaded with good size fruit, largest would be around 200 to 250 grams, not ripe yet.

KarenO February 20, 2020 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=Whwoz;753585]KarenO, Polarised ripened about a week ago, and the two Midnight Sun's are loaded with good size fruit, largest would be around 200 to 250 grams, not ripe yet.[/QUOTE]

What did you think of the flavour? Interesting Polaris ripe for you before midnight sun :)
They look great!
Thank you for showing them to me , I hope you like them :)
Karen

Fred Hempel February 20, 2020 09:40 PM

Polaris beat Midnight Sun here too.

KarenO February 20, 2020 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;753608]Polaris beat Midnight Sun here too.[/QUOTE]

For me Midnight Sun and Taiga are generally first. Fred do You still have seeds of Polaris and Taiga for sale? I know you sold out of Midnight Sun. :) not a lot of seeds in that one.
KarenO

Whwoz February 21, 2020 03:42 AM

KarenO, it would be fair to describe the flavour of Polaris s washed out,what is there is delicious but weak. Considering we have had 240 mm this year so far with a lot of clouds and limited sun, even had the heater on occasionally during the day and doona on the bed at night, it is not surprising. Will be a year for weak flavoured tomatoes.

Fred Hempel February 21, 2020 10:03 AM

I do still have Polaris and Taiga for sale.

[QUOTE=KarenO;753609]For me Midnight Sun and Taiga are generally first. Fred do You still have seeds of Polaris and Taiga for sale? I know you sold out of Midnight Sun. :) not a lot of seeds in that one.
KarenO[/QUOTE]

KarenO February 21, 2020 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=Whwoz;753617]KarenO, it would be fair to describe the flavour of Polaris s washed out,what is there is delicious but weak. Considering we have had 240 mm this year so far with a lot of clouds and limited sun, even had the heater on occasionally during the day and doona on the bed at night, it is not surprising. Will be a year for weak flavoured tomatoes.[/QUOTE]

That’s too bad. If you have some green still, pick justvat blush and let them ripen indoors out of the wet. After blushing all a tomato gets from the plant is water.
Something to try. Personally if it’s going to rain I pick anything blushing even a little.
KarenO

Whwoz February 21, 2020 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;753630]That’s too bad. If you have some green still, pick justvat blush and let them ripen indoors out of the wet. After blushing all a tomato gets from the plant is water.
Something to try. Personally if it’s going to rain I pick anything blushing even a little.
KarenO[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information, will give it a shot

Whwoz March 1, 2020 10:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
KarenO, cross posting this here with my Garden of Woz thread, but a bit surprised at how Midnight Sun is ripening. Seed from M, have not grown anything similar.

Apologise for photo quality, but done quickly on phone, lens is scratched

KarenO March 1, 2020 10:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You haven’t grown anything similar because there is nothing similar :)
It is a clear epidermis bicolour indeterminate potato leaf heart that colours up to almost all over pink exterior if left to ripen to maximum. Dont wait until it’s soft though
They can be eaten blushing like yours at which point will be less sweet or allowed to continue to ripen to a maximum of this
KarenO

Whwoz March 2, 2020 02:55 AM

Ok, Thank you

KarenO March 2, 2020 01:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Six new crosses done in 2019, each planned with an idea in mind.
I’m growing the F1’s now, if I get seed by April I may have room to do the F2 of one of them this year.
My priorities are the group at F5- cowboy, wild rose country etc. Continue to work on the dwarfs of my short and sweet project, some selections at F3 now from my Multiflora cross that were interesting as well.
Something that seems full circle to me is that among these are crosses I made with my own stable tomatoes. :) I think that makes me a tomato breeder.
Looking forward to getting started for the year but won’t be planting most until the end of March
I will post updates here sometimes but more regularly on my own page Northern Gardener if interested in my stuff that’s the best place for photos and updates.
Have a great season everyone! I’d Love to hear from anyone who is growing any of my released tomatoes this year.
KarenO

Americangrams March 2, 2020 01:46 PM

I would say that it is definitely time to start calling yourself a tomato breeder.

KathyDC March 2, 2020 02:14 PM

Karen, I have just purchased some of your seeds from Artisan, as I was very tempted by your photos here. My grow list is already set for this season, but I will include them in next year's. They look tremendously fun!