Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Operation Pepper Mill. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46434)

Worth1 January 12, 2018 07:10 AM

Operation Pepper Mill.

This will be the thread where I make my own custom Crush Grind Pepper Mills.

It will involve many skills to make these things and a surprise too.
A surprise part I have never seen incorporated into a pepper mill.
As usual it will be made from some parts that are literally picked up off the ground.

Stay tuned.:D

Worth

kurt January 12, 2018 06:31 PM

When you get one up and running,I will negotiate some Piper Nigrum plants so you have the real product to grind.

Worth1 January 13, 2018 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=kurt;677857]When you get one up and running,I will negotiate some Piper Nigrum plants so you have the real product to grind.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how I would even keep them alive besides in the house under lights.:lol:

As for the project it is on hold till the weather gets past this next cold snap.
This will give me plenty of time to work out all the details in my head.
I have to make a part that does not exist from stainless steel with my metal lathe.
That part will integrate the top of the pepper grinder with a single handled fishing reel with a torpedo knob on it and the counter weight on the other end.

A handle like this but this is but not it or the same color.
[IMG]https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/xiYAAOSwtDdaUmts/s-l225.jpg[/IMG]

My boss gave me two brand new ones in the bags from reels he replaced handles on.

I think they will be fantastic to use as grinder handles.

Worth

whoose January 28, 2018 10:42 AM

OK

So where is the prototype? I really need a good one.

Worth1 January 28, 2018 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=whoose;680184]So where is the prototype? I really need a good one.[/QUOTE]

Been really busy.
I had a choice today go fishing, work in the shop or clean house.
I'm loading up as we speak and headed to the river.:lol:
Worth

SueCT January 28, 2018 10:05 PM

I have a Vic Firth pepper grinder that I love. I know you are going to make some first class grinders when you get around to it. :yes:

whoose January 29, 2018 11:09 AM

Best Choice

Worth always the best choice of your 3 options.

garyjr January 29, 2018 12:01 PM

Worth, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I bought the guts (mechanical parts) for a pepper mill years ago. Tried turning the wood part on the lathe but things didn't go exactly as planned. The exotic wood I was using was very tedious to work with. Might give it another go before long. Good luck.

Worth1 January 30, 2018 07:07 AM

[QUOTE=garyjr;680352]Worth, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I bought the guts (mechanical parts) for a pepper mill years ago. Tried turning the wood part on the lathe but things didn't go exactly as planned. The exotic wood I was using was very tedious to work with. Might give it another go before long. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Saw someone on youtube try to turn palm wood.
What a disaster that ((turned)) out to be.:lol:

Worth aaaaa

Fusion_power February 3, 2018 11:29 AM

One of those cross-over applications from another of my hobbies is the cone cracker used to crack black walnuts. It is not fancy, just an outside cone used as the anvil and an inner cone that rotates. The two cones have slightly different angles so that there is enough room at the top for a walnut to go in but it has to crack before it can get out the bottom. This concept is the basis of most pepper mills. From Worth's description, he is going to design and build just such a cone system to crack peppercorns.

Worth1 February 3, 2018 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;681151]One of those cross-over applications from another of my hobbies is the cone cracker used to crack black walnuts. It is not fancy, just an outside cone used as the anvil and an inner cone that rotates. The two cones have slightly different angles so that there is enough room at the top for a walnut to go in but it has to crack before it can get out the bottom. This concept is the basis of most pepper mills. From Worth's description, he is going to design and build just such a cone system to crack peppercorns.[/QUOTE]

I already have the crush grind ceramic pepper mill contraptions.
I just need to make the housings for them.
Which for the Crushgrind brand is rather complicated and involved.

One way of doing it the thing is stuck in there forever.
Another way it is glued in.
Same thing stuck.
Friction method not good.
My new improved method yet on the drawing board I think is a good way yet very unorthodox.

mensplace February 3, 2018 01:45 PM

Worth,
Have you considered turning a large mortar and pestle as a project, or a large tortilla press that could be used for other things as well...like flatbreads?

Worth1 February 3, 2018 01:56 PM

[QUOTE=mensplace;681175]Worth,
Have you considered turning a large mortar and pestle as a project, or a large tortilla press that could be used for other things as well...like flatbreads?[/QUOTE]

The mortar and pestle not really because I have some already plus several grinders and for the most part I dont care for flatbreads except for corn tortillas.
Them I can get really cheap.

kurt February 3, 2018 06:46 PM

To adjust it for cracked,ground and milled fine wrap your noggin around the old hand crank grandmas with the drawer coffee mill.The longer you ground the finer.Then the cam,gives you adjustment if it falls thru,I know you see the movies where the bad guy falls in the big as man rock/ cement crusher.A up and down movement as some reels do will give you adjustment.Since I grow the plant,fresh from the vine,crushed will lace a salad.Large cracked dried black is terrific for rubs,dry and we,a windshield wiper motor you cannot stop with bare hand,and reciprocating at that.

Worth1 February 4, 2018 01:09 PM

Here is what they look like.
They adjust from the bottom.
[IMG]http://www.constablewoodcrafts.co.uk/images/CrushGrind_3_models.jpg[/IMG]