Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Hoy germination. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=17660)

KLorentz March 25, 2011 06:09 AM

Hoy germination.

Well folks so far I have four out of eight seeds up and growing.Btw thought it would be nice to post this so our kind friends involved in sending seeds all over could see how everyones results are.Grow on everyone. 8-)

Kevin

Lee March 25, 2011 09:00 AM

1/4 for me after 5 days.

I suspect I'll see 1 or 2 more pop up over the next 3 hours though.....

Lee

Timbotide March 25, 2011 09:14 AM

I've had 3 out of 4 germinate using the filter method and it took 3 days for them to start. The fourth seed was placed back into the filter for a few more days to soak hoping it too will awaken.

Tim

KLorentz March 25, 2011 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=Lee;206579]1/4 for me after 5 days.

I suspect I'll see 1 or 2 more pop up over the next 3 hours though.....

Lee[/QUOTE]

Good to hear Lee. Hope they all turn out nice and strong.

[QUOTE=Timbotide;206581]I've had 3 out of 4 germinate using the filter method and it took 3 days for them to start. The fourth seed was placed back into the filter for a few more days to soak hoping it too will awaken.

Tim[/QUOTE]

Good Deal Tim. Filter method? I don't know that one.

Kevin

Timbotide March 25, 2011 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=KLorentz;206610]Good to hear Lee. Hope they all turn out nice and strong.

Good Deal Tim. Filter method? I don't know that one.

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Rather than using a paper towel I use a cone shaped coffee filter. So far this method has worked well for me.

Tim

Quickstrike March 25, 2011 09:38 PM

EDIT: My initial post doesn't belong in this thread. I originally thought the title read ''Oy" [as in "Oy Vey"] Germination -- general issues germinating tomatoes.
Little did I know that 'Hoy' is a specific variety of tomato :D.

shlacm March 26, 2011 08:54 AM

As of last night I had 3 of 5 up. 2 at 5 days and the 3rd on day 6... hoping for more, but happy with 3!!!

KLorentz March 26, 2011 12:54 PM

Last I checked I am up to four.I will be happy with that if that is all that comes up.Can still save seeds and have some good eating too.

Kevin

ireilly March 27, 2011 12:02 AM

Well, they say misery loves company but I wish this variety wasn't so slow to come up.

But... hold out hope!

It turns out that of the first batch, eventually all 6 came up, and the second batch, where only 4 of 8 germinated in the filter method, after sowing them all in soil, eventually 7/8 came up outside.

So I think (guess) that this variety takes its time coming up, and it loves heat. I had these in noon-to-afternoon filtered sun and that's when the 7th finally came up.

Last thing - I just got the second shipment today from Medbury Gardens so I will be sending out more. I think I read in another thread geeboss was applying a little too much heat in his oven accidentally - so if you find you need more seed, put in another request in the "Hoy Seed" thread.

Keep the heat on those seeds and keep the faith, and maybe we will all have some Hoy this season!

Walter

cloz March 28, 2011 09:25 AM

Planted 4 Hoy seeds on the 21st and 3 are just peeking through this morning. So that is 7 days with heat from below and 60 degrees F air temp.

WillysWoodPile March 29, 2011 06:55 AM

[quote=KLorentz;206545]Well folks so far I have four out of eight seeds up and growing.Btw thought it would be nice to post this so our kind friends involved in sending seeds all over could see how everyones results are.Grow on everyone. 8-)

Kevin[/quote]

4 of 4
[IMG]http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/WillysWoodPile/DSCF4946.jpg[/IMG]

That's a clump of dough my mother has sitting on the counter.

ireilly March 29, 2011 11:06 AM

Thanks everyone for posting these results.

KLorentz April 1, 2011 03:32 PM

Hey Walter looks like my tally is 6 out of 8.Not a bad count.

Kevin

Timbotide April 1, 2011 03:37 PM

Looks like I'm staying at 3 out of 4.
May try again for a later planting.

Tim

ireilly April 1, 2011 03:37 PM

Thanks Kevin. I'm glad people are generally getting enough germinated to get us to the next season, and to try it out.

Hope everyone had some success with this. You can still request more seed if you need it although time is getting short, especially in the south.