Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Need dwarf recommendations (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46931)

Nattybo! March 7, 2018 04:57 PM

Need dwarf recommendations

Need some dwarf recommendations. My big sister just called me. Bad news. BC stage 3 :cry:

I offered her my tomato and pepper extras for her garden. She said she can only grow things in pots on her back porch. Deer eat anything planted in the ground. Rental house, no fence. Years ago, neighbors threw a fit when she put up deer netting and pvc pipe around her 10 x10 garden. She declined my big tomato plants :(

(I haven't been paying attention to the dwarf discussions b/c my life has been complicated).

So...spam me! Give me your recommendations of the best dwarf tomatoes. They have to be tasty b/c we all know what chemo does. :(

rocketFOOD March 7, 2018 05:13 PM

I am an Oncologist. She might want to avoid handling dirt and gardening during her chemo. Should discuss with her doctor. Tomatoes in general should be fine to eat and handle.

Nattybo! March 7, 2018 05:39 PM

I will be doing the planting :) She has 2 kids that might be helping :)

I planted extras for her of the cherry tomatoes I had of Snow White and Pink Princess. I have to check my notes on how big those will get.

Labradors2 March 7, 2018 05:41 PM

Dwarf Rosella Purple is very tasty purple
Dwarf Mr Snow is a tasty yellow
Dwarf Wherokowhai is a wonderful tasty bi-colour

Maglia Rose is excellent and tasty in a 3 gallon container, and probably earlier than the above :)

Oh and I recently read something about asparagus being extremely helpful in the fight against BC. You might want to check that out!

Linda

sirtanon March 7, 2018 05:56 PM

I'll second Rosella Purple - Pretty much one of the best of the dwarf project.
Blazing Beauty is also a winner - beautiful orange beefsteak with good flavor, at least from what I've read, although I have not grown it myself.
I'm also a fan of Dwarf Wild Fred.

Nattybo! March 7, 2018 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;687803]Dwarf Rosella Purple is very tasty purple
Dwarf Mr Snow is a tasty yellow
Dwarf Wherokowhai is a wonderful tasty bi-colour

Maglia Rose is excellent and tasty in a 3 gallon container, and probably earlier than the above :)

Oh and I recently read something about asparagus being extremely helpful in the fight against BC. You might want to check that out!

Linda[/QUOTE]

TY! will look up those varieties. I did not know about the asparagus. And yeah, kinda freaked out now...Mom had/died from ovarian cancer and Grandma (her Mom) had breast cancer.

Nattybo! March 7, 2018 07:51 PM

[QUOTE=sirtanon;687805]I'll second Rosella Purple - Pretty much one of the best of the dwarf project.
Blazing Beauty is also a winner - beautiful orange beefsteak with good flavor, at least from what I've read, although I have not grown it myself.
I'm also a fan of Dwarf Wild Fred.[/QUOTE]

TY! I had a vague memory of one called Fred but I didn't know the exact name.

nancyruhl March 7, 2018 08:14 PM

I'd llike to gree with all of Labradors2 suggestionsand the others mentioned above. I don't know how many you might want to grow for your sis, but I would offer up Tasmanian Chocolate, Dwarf Scarlet Heart, Tennessee Suited and Dwarf Confetti. These have all been productive of beautiful and tasty tomatoes in Containers for me.

jtjmartin March 7, 2018 09:19 PM

Nattybo:

My top two winners have both been mentioned:

Tasmanian Chocolate & Maglia Rosa (not a dwarf but grew about as big). Be glad to send both with some hope & prayers for your sister! PM if interested.

pmcgrady March 7, 2018 09:51 PM

Ok I admit... I was a non believer in dwarf tomatoes...
Why in the heck, would you grow a dwarf?
Then I received some seeds this year (MMMM) ... and read up on them...
I think I get it, we'll see!
Dwarf Purple Heart, Mr Snow, Tastywine Dwarf,Tasmanian Chocolate,NBD, and I thought the only dwarfs were Tiny Tim and Patio... It's going to be fun!

ginger2778 March 7, 2018 10:13 PM

If you want seeds for Dwarf Beauty King, Tennessee Suited, Sweet Scarlet, Chocolate Lightning, Willa's Cariboo Rose, and Striped Rumplestiltskin, thise are all fresh seeds, and I liked them all. Just pm me, no need for an SASE.

Karma March 8, 2018 02:21 PM

Rosella Purple for sure. Dark, rich, smokey, a touch of sweet and beautiful to look at. It was medium productive for me but I will grow again. Was hardy and stayed about 4 feet tall. I have also grown New Big Dwarf. I thought the taste was ok. Nothing special but in terms of production it kept pumping out tomatoes like nobody's business. I couldn't believe it. I think at the end of the season I had picked around 70 tomatoes from this plant. I have grown Arctic Rose and Tasmanian Chocolate. I didn't like Arctic Rose at all. Tasmanian is good but not as good as Rosella. I grow in Earthboxes that use sterile soil. Besides being safe for your sister to be around, it eliminates all soil borne illnesses. Best of luck to you and your sis.

GrowingCoastal March 8, 2018 02:40 PM

My son has limited area for tomatoes. He asked for Rosella Purple and Maglia Rosa plants this year as his faves from what I grew last year.

Nattybo! March 9, 2018 06:23 AM

Ty everyone who has offered seeds. PM will be sent soon. I wish I had time to reply to each post individually but I cant, I have to get to work soon.

I originally thought that I would get the recommendations here and then buy the seeds, which I could afford. But then I realized she probably doesn't have pots. I found some grow bags and pot saucers on Amazon. With the seeds being provided by you guys (Wow, thank you!) I can now put my funds towards getting her some pots that look nice. I want it too look pretty, to help her spirits. Cancer is really bad on so many levels.

Nattybo! March 9, 2018 06:27 AM

Gah, almost forgot. Will the 5 gallon grow bags be big enough? My plan is to put a dwarf tomato in the pot along with a small herb like parsley and a small flower (lemon gem). Or should I get the one gallon grow bags for the herbs and flowers?