Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Kalettes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39781)

clkeiper February 25, 2016 11:25 AM

Kalettes

Has anybody grown these yet? I see Johnny's has them, but are way to expensive with the shipping to try them and I see Hirts in Medina has them so I am going to stop and pick up some seeds from them today, but any help/ hints for growing them will be welcome. Thanks.

habitat_gardener February 25, 2016 11:50 AM

I planted a 6-pack in November. It was an impulse purchase -- I was surprised to see them in the nursery. For the few days the garden bed was uncovered, it was the favorite plant of the roof rats! (They also liked the broccoli seedlings.) Haven't harvested any yet.

BackyardFarm March 4, 2016 09:13 PM

I've only seen them at Johnny's and Hirt's (on Amazon). A blog called Lavender and Leeks grew them last year I think? There may be a video that mentioned how they were growing them and Brussels Sprouts (pretty much the same growing instructions it looked like).

FarmerShawn March 5, 2016 01:55 AM

I grew them last year. They are stunningly beautiful plants with very tasty leaves. The kalettes themselves were tasty, but almost too late for my zone 4a garden.

BackyardFarm March 5, 2016 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=FarmerShawn;538234]I grew them last year. They are stunningly beautiful plants with very tasty leaves. The kalettes themselves were tasty, but almost too late for my zone 4a garden.[/QUOTE]

FarmerShawn, when did you set out your transplants? (I'm thinking about buying some seeds. I can't resist a pretty version of one of my garden favorites -Brussels Sprouts.)

EPawlick December 3, 2016 04:22 PM

Kalettes ready for harvesting

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=clkeiper;535163]Has anybody grown these yet? I see Johnny's has them, but are way to expensive with the shipping to try them and I see Hirts in Medina has them so I am going to stop and pick up some seeds from them today, but any help/ hints for growing them will be welcome. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
First year growing kalettes for me. I picked them up on clearance in late June just before the local seasonal grocery garden centre closed.

They are finally ready for harvesting after a couple of frosts. Still small but I'm not sure they will get much larger before winter really sets in here.

Raiquee December 4, 2016 04:50 PM

I grew them this year, and I love them. I topped them sometime in October, and they filled out very nicely. I love roasting them like I would brussel sprouts as the leaves kinda get crispy. Yum Yum. I roasted them one time with a few strips of bacon cut up and my kids ate 1/2 a plants worth each!

In fact I have a few plants still out there, covered in snow mind you, and I'm sure they are going to taste delish.

Johnny's had a special I posted about where they were offering them for more then 50% off! I bought 100 seeds to last me a few seasons (hopefully several, but I guess we will see!)

EPawlick December 4, 2016 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=Raiquee;602881]I grew them this year, and I love them. I topped them sometime in October, and they filled out very nicely. I love roasting them like I would brussel sprouts as the leaves kinda get crispy. Yum Yum. I roasted them one time with a few strips of bacon cut up and my kids ate 1/2 a plants worth each!

In fact I have a few plants still out there, covered in snow mind you, and I'm sure they are going to taste delish.

Johnny's had a special I posted about where they were offering them for more then 50% off! I bought 100 seeds to last me a few seasons (hopefully several, but I guess we will see!)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the hint on topping off. I top my tomatoes but never thought of the kalettes.

PNW_D January 2, 2017 10:53 AM

Thought this might be a nice addition to this thread ........ some recipes from the creators of Kalettes
[URL]http://www.kalettes.com/cooking-recipes/[/URL]

jmsieglaff January 2, 2017 12:47 PM

We also grew 2 Kalette plants in 2016 and agree they were very tasty roasted. Will definitely grow these in the future--we liked the flavor better than brussels sprouts.

EPawlick January 2, 2017 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=PNW_D;608186]Thought this might be a nice addition to this thread ........ some recipes from the creators of Kalettes
[URL]http://www.kalettes.com/cooking-recipes/[/URL][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recipe link. Some nice ideas there.

EPawlick January 10, 2017 06:24 PM

We harvested another 2 plants from the garden for my daughter. She had them with eggs for breakfast.

Is anyone growing kalettes from seed this year?

Raiquee January 10, 2017 10:27 PM

Elaine I will be. I'm planning on putting in 25 plants I liked em so much! I will start them when I start my other brassicas for my zone which will be mid march for late April set out.

Raiquee January 10, 2017 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a super unflattering pic of me holding a kalette(the things I do for this forum.) I had topped to show how nicely they fill in. The bald spot is where I had already harvested some before I knew about topping them. They were pretty uniform!![ATTACH]68711[/ATTACH]

All my plants I grew from seed.

clkeiper January 11, 2017 12:21 PM

There is nothing unflattering about your picture. Your kalettes look awesome. I will try them again this year. I accidentally killed off all of mine last year before I even got them in the ground.