Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   The very large tomato thread (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38899)

AKmark April 29, 2016 03:40 PM

There is good explanation for the disorder, and it is probably not element driven or excess watering.
[url]http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/hot_topics/2008/05tomato_leaf_roll.html[/url]

AKmark April 29, 2016 07:09 PM

Tomato

1 Attachment(s)
I topped my first plant today, it was a Belmonte with 5 tomatoes fused together, that is what it appears like anyway. They are supposed to be 1-2 ponds, so one with 5 fused should be 5 + pounds or more.
I had to chop my BZ with 4 fused. One section got some rot, so it had to go. I have several other nice blooms, but like a stock holder I wait on more, and we know that could be a good or bad choice. lol Sorry for the lame fuzzy pic.
Here we go:)

Salsacharley April 29, 2016 09:03 PM

If you get a real whopper you will want to save as many seeds a possible. Each one could be a treasure, so don't eat all of them.

[QUOTE=PureHarvest;555644]I would eat anything I grew.
I didn't stay in a holiday inn express, so I could be wrong, but I don't thing bumping up nitrate into the plant would mean an increase into the fruit.
Even if I pushed more nitrate on my giants, I'd still eat every bite.
I'll check the chart on Haifa-group about the elemental components of the fruit.

[ATTACH]59610[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Salsacharley April 29, 2016 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wonder how many blossoms are on this beauty. It might have gotten pretty big but it was growing on a plant with 2 stems and several fruits. It is a Napa Giant.

AKmark April 29, 2016 09:35 PM

Hey ya Charley, you have to count the stigmas sticking out. You can also sorta look at the top of it, and can observe how many tomatoes are clumped together.
You have some catfacing on the bottom, so it is kinda hard to tell.

PureHarvest April 30, 2016 06:52 AM

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;556087]If you get a real whopper you will want to save as many seeds a possible. Each one could be a treasure, so don't eat all of them.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya!
Would be a nice concern to have!

I'd auction them for charity or givem to tomatovillians.

lubadub April 30, 2016 09:03 AM

It is a difficult thing to do, terminating the main vine just above the tomato, but that is what Dan did and Fabrice Boudyo did as well, following in Dan's footsteps with another 8 pounder.

AKmark April 30, 2016 01:41 PM

I do keep seeds, I gave out several Terhune 5.42 last year, which would have been much bigger, if it did not have a 4.5 and a 2.5 on the vine at the same time.

I am not sure I buy into seeds coming from a large tomato producing tomatoes that are larger than other seeds from the same variety, that came from a smaller tomato? I do think it would take many generations to tailor something genetically different, line breeding is a slow process to capture traits other than those already manifested within a line. Out crossing however, is a faster way to achieve results, and you also can introduce vigor if both lines are inbred. However, like most, I do try both methods, the cards fall wherever they fall, and surprises are sometimes great.
Before I get beat up, I will say that peeps are getting good results with OP Big Zac, based on selection of fused blooms. I am not seeing any drastic differences yet, besides vigor in the F1 when compared to my OP Big Zac from Fabrice.

At any rate, I will pass seeds out, I do go against my inner thoughts, and I do save seeds from my biggest tomatoes too:) LOL

Thanks for all your insight Marv, glad to see you here.

AKmark May 8, 2016 08:26 PM

They grow so fast

4 Attachment(s)
So far Terhune is throwing the most mega blooms, Belmonte is looking good too, a few others have some choice blooms also. Still waiting on Big Zac to deliver, I have F1 and OP, and will patiently wait.
Anyway, here are a few ugly, but beautiful selections.

lubadub May 8, 2016 08:54 PM

There is a lot of potential in what you have going. Take good care of them.

AKmark May 9, 2016 01:14 PM

I found a nice set tomato on OP BZ from Boudyo's 6.83 this morning, it is 4-5 fused together.
I'm all over it Marv, trying a few new ideas, will post them if anything of worth comes from it.

lubadub May 9, 2016 01:20 PM

AKmark; Your season is so far ahead of mine. My plants are still in their first pots. 3 weeks until anything around here goes into the ground. You have a really good start this year and lets hope your good fortune holds.

AKmark May 12, 2016 09:23 PM

One ugly duckling

1 Attachment(s)
This tomato appears to be 5 maybe 6 fused together, sadly it is on my mother plant that I did a couple of crosses to already, and worse, it was only in a three gallon container. I couldn't stand not trying with it, so I cut off the crossed tomatoes and transplanted it into something more suitable. I did take a couple of cuttings, so I will simply re-do the crosses.

MissS May 12, 2016 09:54 PM

Wow, I can see why you decided to do that. Good Luck!

Gerardo May 13, 2016 12:40 AM

Quite a few future monsters. Good stuff Mark