Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Preserving Your Harvest (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Candied jalapeños "cowboy candy" ? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45830)

jillian August 14, 2017 03:39 PM

Candied jalapeños "cowboy candy" ?

I have pulled up two recipes, both using 3 lbs. Jalapeños. One recipes says use 6 cups of sugar, the other calls for 3 cups. I haven't done this before, I don't can so these will go straight into refrigerator. All other ingredient amounts are the same including vinegar (2 cups).

Have any of you made this and how much sugar should I use? I want them to be candied but 6 cups? :?!?:

Any advice appreciated!

coronabarb August 14, 2017 04:39 PM

There's no *tested* recipe for cowboy candy so I'd have to look at other sources. If I were going to make this, here is the recipe I would use. 2 cups of vinegar for 3 lbs of jals doesn't look like enough.

Small Batch Cowboy Candy
(pickled jalapenos)
1 lb fresh jalapenos
2/3 cup cider vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons mustard seed
1/4 teaspoon tumeric
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Slice jalapenos. Mix cider vinegar, sugar, tumeric, celery and mustard seed, garlic, and cayenne to boil. Reduce for 5 minutes to a simmer. Add jalapenos at the simmer for 5 minutes more. Load sterilized jars with jalapenos first and add liquid filling the jars leaving a 1/4 headspace. Process in a water bath for 15 minutes. Makes 2 pints

coronabarb August 14, 2017 04:41 PM

For comparison, here is the nchfp recipe for pickled jals. Even more vinegar but there is water too. The acid keeps this safe w/o all the sugar.

3 pounds jalapeño peppers
1½ cups pickling lime
1½ gallons water
7½ cups cider vinegar (5%)
1¾ cups water
2½ tablespoons canning salt
3 tablespoons celery seed
6 tablespoons mustard seed

dmforcier August 14, 2017 05:50 PM

1/4 tsp cayenne in a lb of jalapenos? Think anyone will notice? ;););)

Actually, that Cowboy Candy sounds interesting. Think I'll try it.

Worth1 August 14, 2017 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;660239]1/4 tsp cayenne in a lb of jalapenos? Think anyone will notice? ;););)

Actually, that Cowboy Candy sounds interesting. Think I'll try it.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't one bit.
Worth

jillian August 14, 2017 06:35 PM

Okay they are all sliced up now, a mixture of jalapeño, fresno and a few jimmy nardello. I still have tons left over and more to pick, have already pickled several jars so I guess I will just freeze the rest.

So here is the recipe I am thinking of following. Barb, how much would you increase vinegar amount to for the 3 lbs?

[url]http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/candied-jalapenos/[/url]

jillian August 14, 2017 06:37 PM

Lol dmf and Worth, I will probably not bother with the cayenne. These are MUCHO NACHO jalapeños and very hot!

AlittleSalt August 14, 2017 06:55 PM

It sounds really good. I think I'll try it too.

Best Maid makes sweet jalapeno relish that tastes good, but it's not very hot.

dmforcier August 14, 2017 08:31 PM

Looking at the recipe and remembering that you'll refrigerate these, I'd stick with the 2 c cider vinegar and cut the sugar down to 4 c, maybe some of it brown? Six c is more like a jam recipe. Any chance you have a way to test pH?

If you've got so many, try the recipe once, then adjust it and do it again.

coronabarb August 14, 2017 08:45 PM

If you aren't canning them, you can make it any way you want. (I am sorry, I somehow skipped right over that in your intro post) I think the high sugar content is for the "candied" effect. Exchanging brown for white sugar will change the taste.

I don't have a smart phone and am baking today, so I only get on here when I have a moment to go upstairs to the pc. :D

jillian August 14, 2017 08:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay so here it is. Two cups vinegar is enough, I have a little left over. As you can see they do shrivel since the peppers themselves are actually simmered in the liquid for 4 minutes (I used the recipe that I posted). So, I had a little over 3 lbs. which filled a quart jar. Let me tell you they are already delicious, I can only imagine how good they will be if I can wait a month!? Whoa that's a huge pic, and of course sideways as well.:?

coronabarb August 14, 2017 08:49 PM

Robert, I have a friend who makes a sweet jalapeno relish to sell at our farmers' market. Oh my gosh, is that stuff good! I hide it in the frig so no one else finds it. I mostly use it in my home canned tuna for a sandwich or cracker dip. She sells it for $5/half pint along with other spicy relishes and does quite well.

coronabarb August 14, 2017 08:49 PM

Yum, Jillian! Yes, try to wait. It's worth it!

AlittleSalt August 14, 2017 09:06 PM

It looks wonderful Jillian. :)

I had forgotten the Scoville unit level for Mucho Nacho which is between 4,000 and 8,000 units. Being that they are red - they're probably even hotter.

jillian August 14, 2017 09:15 PM

Salt, the red ones are fresno and a few Jimmy Nardello. I think if I make this again I will slice a little thicker.