Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Yellow bug sticky traps. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45493)

Worth1 July 2, 2017 09:24 PM

Yellow bug sticky traps.

Yellow bug sticky traps.
Do these things catch bees too?
I have saw flies and I dont want to catch my bees in them if I use them.

Worth

jillian July 2, 2017 10:23 PM

I don't have any bees on mine, but I do have a few bird feathers :cry:

AlittleSalt July 2, 2017 10:32 PM

Worth, I don't know about the Yellow bug sticky traps, but the fly strips can catch wasps and little honeybees.

Nematode July 3, 2017 05:55 AM

Funny, mine came just the other day, and haven't set them out yet.
Try them. Keep an eye on them.
If you get a couple bees, stop. You won't decimate the local population with a short test.

ginger2778 July 3, 2017 07:28 AM

I have never seen bees on the Seabright labs type, which I use every year, seven years now using 30 each year, but it has a safer type of adhesive on it that won't harm birds or lizards either. Folks these are fantastic for controlling white flies, thrips leaf miners flies, please don't use another brand as the adhesive is too strong and will catch birds and lizards, very heartbreaking. I put them out about every 5 feet apart.

Worth1 July 3, 2017 07:38 AM

Thanks.
If I use any brand I will have to put them in a bug strainer.
One bee is one too many.
It would allow the saw flies in but not bigger bees.
Folks I have rescued bees out of soda pop cans gave them a bath and dried them off so they would live.
I am that serious about not harming good critters. :)
Worth

tarheelchick July 3, 2017 09:14 AM

This is the second year I have used the yellow sticky cards and I have never caught a bee of any kind. (and I have lots of honey bees flying around my cucumbers especially).

They do a great job of catching thrips, mosquitos, white flies and gnats.

As best as I can tell, they don't help at all with mites.

ginger2778 July 3, 2017 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;651742]Thanks.
If I use any brand I will have to put them in a bug strainer.
One bee is one too many.
It would allow the saw flies in but not bigger bees.
Folks I have rescued bees out of soda pop cans gave them a bath and dried them off so they would live.
I am that serious about not harming good critters. :)
Worth[/QUOTE]

I don't think it will be an issue.

Nematode July 3, 2017 09:57 AM

Traps have been up for 30 min.
A bumble got himsef stuck and unstuck already.

jtjmartin July 3, 2017 10:26 AM

I use yellow plastic cards with tanglefoot painted on them. No bees or feathers but plenty of bugs.

Gerardo July 3, 2017 01:00 PM

I've seen bees temporarily detained, nothing more. Most others from the insect world stay. Seabright Labs, two very enthusiastic thumbs up.

MissS July 3, 2017 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=Gerardo;651792]I've seen bees temporarily detained, nothing more. Most others from the insect world stay. Seabright Labs, two very enthusiastic thumbs up.[/QUOTE]

I concur! :yes::yes::yes:

OzoneNY July 3, 2017 03:44 PM

I use blue and yellow traps in abundance and never caught any bees.

kurt July 3, 2017 10:59 PM

Been using them since 10 plus years,one weak bee got stuck.Trick for us is keeping them where the white flys seem to start about 1-2 foot dependent on your bottom trims.I use a combo of oils,grapefruit,basils,etc on traps for monitor and to get the cycles of them buggers in check.

brownrexx July 4, 2017 09:18 AM

Good to know about the Seabright traps. I used another brand last year and caught a sparrow. I was able to free him but I threw away the rest of the traps.