Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Suggestions (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44406)

rjs55555 March 30, 2017 07:07 PM

Suggestions

I have a microdwarf yellow tomato(F3) that is very sweet with no tang whatsoever. I am looking to cross it with a fruity flavored tomato to get rid of any tang and make it more candy/Fruit like in taste. Any suggestions. I am hoping to make a tomato that my daughter will eat....

I am Growing Isis Candy and Sungold and hope to cross these two, but am looking for other suggestions for future projects. I am kind of hoping this variety with remain without tang.

Also on the Microdwarf side I have planted 170 seeds from my Red Robin/Black Cherry cross. Hopefully this yields 10-11 micros and out of those 2-3 Black tomatoes.

I have also planted a few seeds from my Yellow Pygmy/Sungold cross. I am hoping this cross took. I will find out once the seedling comes up to see if it is regular size.

Cross attempts planned this year:

My Sweet no Tang Yellow micro x Isis Candy
Sweet no tang x Sungold F1

Mohamed x Cherokee Tiger Black Dwarf
Chibikko x Cherokee Tiger Black Dwarf
Girl Girls Weird Thing x Red Robin
Ester Hess Yellow cherry x Yellow Pygmy
Green Zebra x Yellow Pygmy
Green Zebra x Red Robin
Submarine Blush x Mohamed
Purple Bumblebee x Yellow Pygmy
Pink Tiger x HP1 (High Production Yellow Micro from one of my crosses)

PaddyMc April 6, 2017 10:58 PM

Those should be great. You'll find some surprises in the F2's and 3's in the Sungold cross. My experience with Sungold as a parent is that all kinds of unexpected things pop up.

rjs55555 April 7, 2017 07:48 AM

The yellow pygmy/Sungold (f1) crosses did take. I will save as many of these seeds as I can.
This season I am hoping to refine my yellow micro and find a black tomato from my Red Robin x Black cherry F2's. The nice part about micro's is I can grow a few over winter as well if none come out this summer.

heirloomtomaguy April 7, 2017 01:04 PM

Orange Russian 117 has a very fruity taste already. Crossing your Micro F3 to it could help your cause for sure. I too have a son that does all the work helping me grow tomatoes but refuses to eat them. He says all tomatoes taste like meat and only meat should taste like meat:))

rjs55555 April 7, 2017 01:11 PM

I will need to get a few seeds. It would be nice to have some mini hearts as well!

heirloomtomaguy April 7, 2017 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=rjs55555;630226]I will need to get a few seeds. It would be nice to have some mini hearts as well![/QUOTE]

Pm me your address i will send you some no sase required.

bower April 8, 2017 02:45 PM

It's a bit of a brain thumper to think of a fruity tomato that is sweet with no tang:?!?:... but I finally thought of one - Anna Russian. :) Not yellow or a cherry but...
These were so sweet, and tasted like watermelon to me, not a bit like a tomato. I found it shocking at the time. :roll: Now I know better.
Another candidate might be Zolotoy Zapas. This is a determinate or semi-determinate variety with small, firm, orange fruit that were fantastic tasting, with a hint of canteloupe.
I am out of Anna Russian seed but I do have some ZZ if you want them, PM.

Your crosses are exciting, the world needs more great micros so keep up the good work! 8-)