Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Horseradish (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47016)

pmcgrady March 16, 2018 10:49 PM

Horseradish

Horseradish Capital of the World (Collinsville, IL) is 30 miles south...
My hot peppers + Collinsville Horseradish = Illinois Wasabi
Single batch bottles available soon!

Worth1 March 17, 2018 06:59 AM

Ghost pepper Horseradish paste.:)):)):))

bower March 17, 2018 07:52 AM

Something in my garden is very fond of it. :( Will pick off the crowns when they sprout in spring. I suspect ravens. :evil:
Since I do appreciate their 'watchdog' service, I suppose it's a small price to pay. Eventually I hope the little patch of survivors gets vigorous enough there'll be plenty for all. :roll:

ako1974 March 17, 2018 09:37 AM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;689708]Horseradish Capital of the World (Collinsville, IL) is 30 miles south...
My hot peppers + Collinsville Horseradish = Illinois Wasabi
Single batch bottles available soon![/QUOTE]

That sounds awesome!

Nan_PA_6b March 17, 2018 02:46 PM

Bower, I'm not sure how you keep a horseradish plant down. I love the look of them and the beautiful flowers, but they're kind of taking over here. Mine are in part shade and clay, and boy do they do well! Problem is, I don't use horseradish hardly ever.

I've walked on the crowns and rototilled into them, covered them with paper & they still come back! The big roots put out underground runners and more pop up. Probably get seedlings from the flowering plants, too.

Uploading you some bionic horseradish,

Nan

pmcgrady July 12, 2018 08:26 PM

Apparently I don't know how to grow horseradish, maybe next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nan_PA_6b July 12, 2018 08:44 PM

PCM, did you plant it?
Nan

PaulF July 13, 2018 09:00 AM

I love horseradish but my wife wrinkles her nose at me every time I eat anything with horseradish on it.

pmcgrady July 13, 2018 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;708071]PCM, did you plant it?
Nan[/QUOTE]

I planted 6 but didn't tend to it and it grew up in grass, there might be a couple plants in there though... Need to fire up the weed eater.

Gardeneer March 4, 2019 03:37 AM

I love pure fresh horseradish . I gew some back in GA. The first year they will be too thin. So you harvest them starting second season. From there on you cannot get rid of itwhat you get with most sushi, is probably horseradish, with some kind if green, like mustard green. Wasabi is too expensive. It comes from Japan.

Down here they don,t sell the roots, to buy and plant.

pmcgrady March 4, 2019 07:56 AM

This fall when I cleaned out the bed that I planted the horseradish in... After a couple weeks I noticed all 6 had survived and were growing, this year I should have some.

Darren Abbey March 7, 2019 01:11 AM

If you grow a large enough patch of horseradish, you can eat the young flower heads steamed like a broccoli. They're bitter, but definitely edible. The patch I have now will take a few more years before I can do this again.

DonDuck March 7, 2019 04:28 PM

i love horseradish sauce or paste on prime rib, but since I haven't had prime rib in a few years, I just buy prepared horseradish which I use on sandwiches and various dishes. I don't eat enough to justify trying to grow it. I would love someday to try real wasabi on sushi or sushimi. I would probably be surprised at how different real wasabi and horseradish wasabi is.

pmcgrady March 7, 2019 07:35 PM

From what I've read, real wasabi is not easy to grow... You need a spring fed source of running water, for one...

pmcgrady March 7, 2019 07:49 PM

I'm leaning towards Worth's idea...
I've been growing Red Ghost Scorpions for a few years...
I'm thinking they would be just right with 50/50 horseradish