Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Sweetie Peppers from Territorial (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46222)

clkeiper November 27, 2017 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is what I picked a few weeks ago and put in the cooler. They are still fabulous.

[ATTACH]77836[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]77837[/ATTACH]

pmcgrady November 29, 2017 07:01 PM

I've still got a bag of them been over a month and they are still good even sweeter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cole_Robbie December 5, 2017 12:24 AM

Sweet Chocolate from Johnny's looks like it would round out that Sweetie mix of snacker peppers quite nicely. From the pictures, at least, it looks distinguishable from Purple Sweetie:

[URL]http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/peppers/sweet-bell-peppers/sweet-chocolate-organic-pepper-seed-579G.html[/URL]

Aura, Lipstick, and Glow look like another good sweet pepper mix. There are some new bells in the catalog, too. Johnny's has some great stuff. My biggest apprehension about ordering from them for market sales is that all the other vendors get the same catalog, so I risk someone else selling the exact same product.

Also, I got this link from another tville post, Harris has a small sweet pepper that shows stripes at immaturity. I think it is another component of a mix that would set the product apart:
[url]https://www.harrisseeds.com/collections/pepper/products/23432-sweet-pepper-candy-cane-red-f1?variant=276850442257[/url]

mensplace February 22, 2018 12:43 PM

Sweetest for saute? Is there a scale for sweetness?

I have been studying the peppers of the world and so many look identical.
Everybody is familiar with the Scoville scale for heat, but I have never seen any kid of listing of the world's sweetest or the best of the best for frying and sautéing.

I despise bitterness or thick skins.

Seems the Europeans do more in terms of using peppers in ways to preserve the pepper flavor whether alone, or in combination with just a few other vegetables like eggplant and tomato, not just stuffing.

I wonder how many are the same, but just different names in different countries?

SQWIBB February 22, 2018 02:10 PM

Mensplace I agree
A Brix rating of sweets would be awesome.

Ann123 February 22, 2018 05:02 PM

Here (Belgium) Sweet Palermo claims to be the sweetest pepper. It is indeed a very good, sweet and tasty pepper. It is a product of Rijk Zwaan (Holland). Last year I grew it out of saved pepper. Our season is too short and too cold for them to fully ripen. So I don't know if it is a hybrid or not: it looked like its parent but wasn't as sweet at all.

mensplace February 22, 2018 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=Ann123;684959]Here (Belgium) Sweet Palermo claims to be the sweetest pepper. It is indeed a very good, sweet and tasty pepper. It is a product of Rijk Zwaan (Holland). Last year I grew it out of saved pepper. Our season is too short and too cold for them to fully ripen. So I don't know if it is a hybrid or not: it looked like its parent but wasn't as sweet at all.[/QUOTE]

They certainly are masters at marketing...even found a brix comparison. Looks like a beauty! Checked the web and haven't found it in the U.S.. Maybe in the future for some here. At least I found some good looking recipes. By the way, I found Belgian people to be the friendliest and most sociable anywhere! The beers were outstanding as well!

clkeiper February 23, 2018 09:09 AM

[QUOTE=Ann123;684959]Here (Belgium) Sweet Palermo claims to be the sweetest pepper. It is indeed a very good, sweet and tasty pepper. It is a product of Rijk Zwaan (Holland). Last year I grew it out of saved pepper. Our season is too short and too cold for them to fully ripen. So I don't know if it is a hybrid or not: it looked like its parent but wasn't as sweet at all.[/QUOTE]

the same is true for any unripe pepper. it still tastes "green". yummy orange taste like nothing until they turn orange.

grow them in pots and bring them in and put them under a grow light in the Fall. see what happens. no cheaper than going to get them at the store of you spend a gazzilion dollars on a light though. some things we just need to be realistic with and grow lights? I see them for 700.00us dollars? nope. cant do it. I think they are marketed to the pot growers who can get the money out of a crop and can afford to spend 700.00 on a small square fixture. I can't do it.

mensplace February 23, 2018 09:45 AM

The sweet Palermo has intrigued me so I have written to the Dutch company that introduced and is marketing them. I have no idea if this is really something that is better than what we have here, but could not find them here and their numerous web sites have piqued my interest. Can't imagine why they would not market them here. Apparently, they have been there for 17 years.

My Dutch great grandmother may be looking down with amusement. I'll ask her soon!:))