Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Soilbuilding 101™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Rabbit Poo Use (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44684)

ARgardener April 28, 2017 06:57 PM

Rabbit Poo Use

Alright, before I get too far-
I've read/ heard that rabbit manure can be used [U]fresh[/U], uncomposted without the risk of burning plants. Is this true?

If true, what's the best way to about using the manure? I have limited quantity (I just have a few bunnies), so I'd like to make the best use of it.

I've wondered if I could add a small handful to the planting holes of my tomatoes/ eggplant/ peppers(?). Would this be recommended?

I'm gardening in virgin soil so I'm just trying to devise my "planting hole recipe"
(things I've considered: alfalfa/ soy meal, bloodmeal, espsom salts, Espsoma/ Tomato Tone, kelp tablets, rough compost)

Any help and input appreciated, as always!

SteveP April 28, 2017 09:22 PM

Your tomatoes will love the rabbit poo and it can be used without decomposing. Put some in the hole, top dress with some and then let some soak a few days in water to water your plants with as the season progresses. I have heard of people actually growing in 100% Bunny Berries instead of soil, although I have never tried it.

ARgardener April 28, 2017 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=SteveP;635114]Your tomatoes will love the rabbit poo and it can be used without decomposing. Put some in the hole, top dress with some and then let some soak a few days in water to water your plants with as the season progresses. I have heard of people actually growing in 100% Bunny Berries instead of soil, although I have never tried it.[/QUOTE]

Good ideas- I may need to get some more bunnies
:P

Gardadore April 29, 2017 01:04 PM

I absolutely love rabbit poo as a fertilizer and soil amendment. Worms love it too. I put it in my compost bins mixed with straw, especially if it is very wet. I do add it directly around plants but not lettuce in case there might be a problem with unwanted bacteria. I use aged poo for crops close to the soil.

ARgardener April 29, 2017 05:39 PM

How much to add to my planting holes for tomatoes? Hmmm

Gardadore April 29, 2017 06:43 PM

I have never added it directly to my tomato holes but I would imagine a handful would be fine. You can sidedress throughout the season as needed. You could also mix it with compost and add.

pecker88 April 30, 2017 02:48 PM

I just got a 30 gal trashcan full of rabbit poo that was about 1/2 rabbit berries and 1/2 straw bedding.

When I setup my rain gutter system (used walmart fabric shopping bags), I put about a shovel full of the rabbit poo/bedding in each bag along with handfull of epsom salt and 1/2 cup lime. I then put 1/4 to 1/2 cup of tomato tone around the top rim of the bag.

The rest of the mix was re-used promix BX.

The tomatoes all look "OK", but the top/new leaves are curled inward on themselves. I left 1 bag w/out the rabbit poo, and that plant is curled also, so I don't think its the rabbit poo. Its been SUPER cold here, and I have the greenhouse heater set at 55, so I think the curling is environmental related.

I would say that rabbit poo does not burn plants.

dmforcier April 30, 2017 03:08 PM

What's your soil pH? If you don't know, why use the lime?