Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Removable free-standing greenhouse (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=5343)

Sherry_AK May 28, 2007 10:26 PM

Removable free-standing greenhouse

1 Attachment(s)
In an effort to get just a bit of a head-start this year, we relocated some raised beds to a nice sunny spot, which is unfortunately the coldest place in the yard. I built this little shelter which can be completely disassembled when the tomatoes outgrow it. The forecast is for mid-40's at night for the next several days, but normally I don't plant out even in the warmest part of the yard before about today. I've put one sacrificial tomato in this shelter with more to follow soon.

Granny May 29, 2007 07:13 AM

Pretty neat idea Sherry! Might adopt it for next year.

dcarch May 29, 2007 07:47 AM

[quote=Sherry_AK;59790]In an effort to get just a bit of a head-start this year, ------ I built this little shelter which can be completely disassembled when the tomatoes outgrow it. ------.[/quote]

Sherry,

Really good work! You will get a lot more growing in your zone.

Based on my experience so far with my removable greenhouse and hoophouse, it has made a very dramatic difference in my ability to grow plants. [B]It has exceeded all my expectations![/B] I am several months early for my zone. Its a great relief also not to have to worry about frost. I hope to have my first ripe fruits (Black Krim) in another couple of weeks !

My setup is a little more complete in that it has insulated panels, emergency heat, and thermostatically ventilated.

dcarch

P.S. Be careful on a sunny day. It can get heated up really quickly.:!:

Sherry_AK May 29, 2007 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are slits in the top to allow venting and drainage; also the whole top can be opened as necessary. Even here, I expect to have to open the top on a nice sunny day.

Due to the location, I'm unable to provide any external heat source. I'd need a really, really long extension cord.

This little structure really helped to heat up the soil much faster than normal and is keeping my plant toasty warm and protected from the wind. I think I'll get really brave and plant a couple more today.

Here's a picture of the skeleton. It's made from 3/4" PVC. Very easy and lightweight.

dcarch May 29, 2007 01:24 PM

Is that Velcro you are using for the top?

dcarch

Tomstrees May 29, 2007 01:52 PM

Sherry,

Looks the the begining of a really cool project ! Awesome !

~ Tom

Sherry_AK May 29, 2007 03:27 PM

Granny -- You really should. It's so very simple.

dcarch -- Yes, it's Velcro.

Tom -- Thanks! I'm really hoping it will give me that little extra boost I need in this climate.

dcarch May 29, 2007 03:34 PM

[quote=Sherry_AK;59892]----dcarch -- Yes, it's Velcro. [/quote]

How ingenious! Velcro! Why didn't I think of that!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dcarch

Sherry_AK May 29, 2007 09:35 PM

Velcro -- No home should be without it!