Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Gardening in the Green™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   New garden to be (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43096)

RJGlew November 12, 2016 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=Tania;599656]we do not have highways there, it is a very rural area, all private farmland, between Cultus Lake and the US border. I have a feeling we are in a different valley :)[/QUOTE]

Columbia Valley BC: Radium, Invermere, Fairmont, Canal Flats etc. Sounds like we're further north.

Tania November 12, 2016 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=RJGlew;599657]Columbia Valley BC: Radium, Invermere, Fairmont, Canal Flats etc. Sounds like we're further north.[/QUOTE]

oh wow! There is another one, I had no idea! :)

We are east from Abbotsford and south from Chilliwack, BC.

RJGlew November 12, 2016 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=Tania;599658]oh wow! There is another one, I had no idea! :)

We are east from Abbotsford and south from Chilliwack, BC.[/QUOTE]

Nor did I! The climate will be much better where you are. I was thinking if you were in this part of the Columbia Valley, we would be able to compare notes on the Saraev varieties. :-)

Tania November 12, 2016 09:00 PM

[QUOTE=RJGlew;599659]Nor did I! The climate will be much better where you are. I was thinking if you were in this part of the Columbia Valley, we would be able to compare notes on the Saraev varieties. :-)[/QUOTE]

yeah... no such luck :). The climate here is very mild, just around 31-32F average low / 44F average high for January, and above freezing all the other months. But we will not be able to grow anything in winter, as the mountains to the south block the sun completely from mid-Nov to mid-Jan. Not that we get much sun here in winter anyway... it is always overcast and rain.

bower November 13, 2016 10:19 AM

Tania it looks amazing!!! :D So happy for you. :yes:
That virgin soil looks really good as well. Not bad at all to start with! And the birds will make it good and rich in no time. 8-) And it's awesome that the climate is so mild, even if you do have a 'winter shadow' for a couple of months from those beautiful mountains.

ddsack November 13, 2016 12:02 PM

Oh my, Tania! What a gorgeous view to the lake, and such an idyllic spot to live in peace and privacy! It will be a lot of work getting everything built and set up and moving your flock, but so worth it! I'll be looking forward to more pictures and updates on your progress.

cjp1953 November 13, 2016 06:54 PM

What a view!You're very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the country.We don't have anything that nice here in North East Ohio.Best of luck with your new farm and garden.I'm sure it will come out very nice when all is done.:yes:

sjamesNorway November 14, 2016 09:10 AM

It looks wonderful, Tania. You must feel like a pioneer sodbuster.

Steve

MissS November 20, 2016 08:05 PM

What a wonderful place to relocate to. It is gorgeous and pristine. The soil appears to be just beautiful and looks to be a deep layer of topsoil full with organic matter. What a nice way to start a new garden. Most of us have to try to convert clay into something that resembles topsoil.

You should be quite happy there.

Jimbotomateo November 21, 2016 07:43 PM

What a beautiful property! Hope you have best gardens ever!

KarenO November 21, 2016 09:51 PM

Spectacular scene. I will never be able to live without a view again myself. Congratulations on your new home. It's beautiful there
KarenO