Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Seedling Vigor... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=945)

jerseyjohn61 April 3, 2006 03:28 PM

Seedling Vigor...

This is my first year growing Red Brandywine
(Landis Valley selection), and am amazed at
at the seedling's vigor. With the exception of
Tom's Yellow Wonder,(a seed offering from
TomsTrees) it has out-distanced all other
varieties in height, sturdiness, total germination
and leaf appearence.

Is this the experience of others with this variety
and what are everyone else's quick starters
this year?....JJ61

clay199 April 3, 2006 03:38 PM

Russian Red is my quickest growing and sturdiest plant this year. It is a dwarf like thing at best full grown but is my 'best doer'. I want to try that Red Brandywine selection next year, interesting that it is a good starter.

Tomstrees April 3, 2006 03:44 PM

Funny you meantion that John -
I got my RBW from you and
have witnessed the same -
Its really right up there with that "yellow" ~

My least vigorous ?
Aunt Rubys, and NAR ~
For some reason, these guys
need a good "boot in the roots" ~

Tom

jerseyjohn61 April 3, 2006 03:46 PM

Clay,
If you have the room, I still have a few RB LV
to spare. Let me Know....JJ61

jerseyjohn61 April 3, 2006 03:51 PM

Yeah Tom,
The seeds are from TGS '06. I know I sent
some others out as well. Guess it must be
from one Kickin' batch....JJ61

travis April 3, 2006 04:06 PM

My least vigorous ?
Aunt Rubys, and NAR ~
For some reason, these guys
need a good "boot in the roots" ~
[Tom]

Same here, Tom ... add Mortgage Lifter, Burpee discount store display pack ... THE WORST! I'm past the "boot in the roots" point and fast approaching the "dump in the rump" finale for the last few ARGGs and NARs that haven't already met the masher.

Best, most vigorous OP seedlings: Ramapo F5 (after a meek start), Wisconsin 55 Gold (consistently vigorous from a fast start), Indian Stripe (Victory Seeds), and Djena Lee (Chuck Wyatt Heirloom Seeds) in that order.

Most vigorous hybrid seedlings so far: Ferry Morse 798 (Super Boy), Big Boy, Better Boy, Top Sirloin, in that order.

Tom, you'd like WI 55 Gold and Djena Lee since they're both yellow or gold ones, and boy are they vigorous seedlings!

Tom, thanks for the info on Red BW, Landis. I'll get that from TGS next year. So far this year, the only BWs that look even noteworthy as seedlings are Brandy Boy F3s (which may be from your garden if I'm remembering right), and Black Brandywine from Bully and CW's Heirloom Tomatoes. The rest of the BW types range from ho hum to feeble.

By the way, I finally took a few pictures ... now I have to get some help posting them up somewhere hosted.

PV

Tomstrees April 3, 2006 04:42 PM

Papa Vic ~

go with [url]www.photbucket.com[/url] -
easiest by far for pics ~
Have to thank Bully for that ...
The "other site" was a nightmare for pics ~

Tom

ps. my Mortgage Lifter
produced a 4-cot thats growing pretty funky ~
not sure if it will make the "ground cut",
but prob. pot bound ~

pss. also glad to see you fixed John as the info on RBW ~ LOL ~

PSSS. LOL ~ I have the WI-55 (yellow one) for next year ~

jerseyjohn61 April 3, 2006 04:54 PM

Papa Vic, Clay etal.
I still have 9 RB LV seeds remaining. Could make
up 2-3 packets for those still interested....jj61

giardiniere April 3, 2006 04:54 PM

My weakest, most scrawny seedlings are my German Red Strawberry. I'll be darned if I know why. I've not treated them any different than any others, but they sure don't seem to be as strong. Hopefully, they'll do a lot of growing by the end of the month.

My Box Car Willie looks the best, followed closely by Arkansas Traveler, Cuostralee, and Mortgage Lifter (which is Burpee seed purchased at Wal-Mart).

travis April 3, 2006 05:03 PM

"My Box Car Willie looks the best, followed closely by Arkansas Traveler, Cuostralee, and Mortgage Lifter (which is Burpee seed purchased at Wal-Mart). " [Dave]

Dave,

Just shows to go'ya ... those Burpee Wal*Mart Generic Mortgage Lifters were my very WORST and least vigorous seedlings this year! I was plannin' on goin' home tonight and poop-cannin' them. Maybe I'll save the most live lookin' one just to see if it recovers some dignity.

PV

giardiniere April 3, 2006 05:12 PM

[quote=Papa Vic]

Just shows to go'ya ... those Burpee Wal*Mart Generic Mortgage Lifters were my very WORST and least vigorous seedlings this year! I was plannin' on goin' home tonight and poop-cannin' them. Maybe I'll save the most live lookin' one just to see if it recovers some dignity.

PV[/quote]

I just hope they are what they say they were. :roll:
After I planted them, I read that there are different strains of Mortgage Lifter. I probably got the Sam Walton strain.

travis April 3, 2006 05:29 PM

"I probably got the Sam Walton strain." [Dave]

Is that the strain that shut down the mom and pop truck garden produce stand and brought in a boatload of B-quality fruit from south of the border?

PV

carolyn137 April 3, 2006 05:52 PM

PLease remember that there are no strains of Red Brandywine, and no selections made.

Linda at TGS gor her RB from the Landis Museum, and they got it from Tom Hauch at Heirloomseeds and Tom was the first to get it out of SSE and offer it commercially. And many of us SSE members also got it from the Yearbook back in the late 80's.early 90's.

So (Landis strain) is not a strain, and you should get the same vigorous growth wherever you might have bought TRUE RB, and that includes several other places.

Two years ago I grew Heirloom Seeds RB and my own RB and they were indistinguishable in all ways, and the former is the same as what the Landis Museum is selling.

travis April 3, 2006 05:59 PM

"PLease remember that there are no strains of Red Brandywine, and no selections made." [Carolyn]

YES! This point has been redundantly well expressed.

However, I think we are jesting about the "Wal*Mart" strain of Mortgage Lifter, and that John's original post only mentions "Landis Valley selection" to differentiate that variety from the other two "Red Brandywines" he could have SELECTED when ordering from TGS.

[size=1]So, Clay, never ever ever again mutter "Landis strain" lest we lop off your typin' fingers![/size]

PV, [size=2]who edited this so Clay would have to strain even more strainuously to read my extrainuous jab.[/size]

jerseyjohn61 April 3, 2006 06:19 PM

Yes I used the term "selection" just to differentiate
from other faux(PL) out there. Carolyn, I also
took heed of your tireless postings on true RBs
that have enlightens so many. I made sure to
order seeds from a known to have outfit of the
original SSE "selection" from Tom Hauch to LV....JJ61