Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Whatever happened to Yellow Jazz? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43716)

Labradors2 January 26, 2017 10:45 AM

Whatever happened to Yellow Jazz?

I'm curious to know what happened to Yellow Jazz? Did Orange Jazz take its place?

I read that Fred was working on an improved Lithium Sunset, although the Lithium Sunset that I recently tasted was AMAZING (thanks again Marsha :) ) and I plan to grow it in my northern garden this summer.

Linda

ginger2778 January 26, 2017 11:00 AM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;613766]I'm curious to know what happened to Yellow Jazz? Did Orange Jazz take its place?

I read that Fred was working on an improved Lithium Sunset, although the Lithium Sunset that I recently tasted was AMAZING (thanks again Marsha :) ) and I plan to grow it in my northern garden this summer.

Linda[/QUOTE]

You are welcome, Linda. So much fun getting together. I can't wait to do it again.:)

I think Lithium Sunset was my favorite of all the OP varieties that I grew this season. Definitely coming back.

jtjmartin January 26, 2017 11:37 AM

Lithium Sunset looks beautiful. The taste matches the looks?

Jeff
(I received Lithium Sunset either in the MMMM or another trade.)

Labradors2 January 26, 2017 11:53 AM

Yes it does Jeff and I am always a bit wary of that. Sometimes the good looking ones don't taste so good and people don't seem to notice.

Grow it! Grow it! Grow it! :)

Linda

BigVanVader January 26, 2017 01:10 PM

I think Fred gave up on it. I still have seeds for it and may grow it in the next year or so.

Fred Hempel January 26, 2017 03:28 PM

Lithium Sunset:

Nice tomato, but not suited for farmers so gave the others the go-ahead to share the line. It is a nice tomato for gardeners, and I am not actively working on it. Fruits too variable. Production not great. Fruits soften way too fast. Those are the reasons I do not recommend it for anyone trying to get decent production and/or sell tomatoes.

I have gotten a couple of examples back from people who like it, and I may release it again at some point (on a small scale at our website).

Yellow Jazz:

An example of where we just have not been able to select a stable OP we are happy with. The flavor and other fruit qualities of Orange Jazz are so much better that we are not even working hard to select a Yellow Jazz line. We are still trialing and selecting in the "Yellow Jazz" area. We have multiple lines that we still work on that might eventually yield a Yellow Jazz that is worth releasing.

Collaborating Memberships:

This is where people get our Yellow Jazz trial lines. Eventually we may give a collaborator the go-ahead to share a Yellow Jazz. Until then, we would prefer to reserve the name for something that we release and are happy with.

Labradors2 January 26, 2017 03:40 PM

Thanks very much for the update Fred. I love your honesty :)

I hope you will soon discover a Yellow Jazz which is worthy of the name!

In the meantime, I will be growing Lithium Sunset, Sunrise BB and Maglia Rosa this year :)

Linda