Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Can you identify this? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45411)

Spartanburg123 June 24, 2017 01:56 PM

Can you identify this?

2 Attachment(s)
About 3 days ago, two of my plants (DLH and Olive Hill) started getting black leaves at the top of the plant, and only on these two. I am losing some leaves due to this, and I'm afraid it may spread around my patch. Any ideas on what it is, and methods to eradicate it? Thanks!

Darin

ginger2778 June 24, 2017 02:19 PM

Looks like spotted wilt virus. I am so sorry. Do you have thrips? The differential would be grey mold, but those spots all throughout the leaf tell me not grey mold. It can spread to other plants from the thrips too. Viruses aren't curable.
Maybe someone else here thinks it is something different?

Spartanburg123 June 24, 2017 02:20 PM

Oh no. Is this soil-borne, or leaf borne? If I cut off all affected leaves, can the plants be saved?

ginger2778 June 24, 2017 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=Spartanburg123;649502]Oh no. Is this soil-borne, or leaf borne? If I cut off all affected leaves, can the plants be saved?[/QUOTE]

Leaf borne, and not likely saveable. The virus is throughout by the time you see symptoms.

Spartanburg123 June 24, 2017 02:33 PM

Oh no. I don't think I have thrips, but I'll read up on those and check. In the meantime, I will top off all affected stems and hope to get healthy suckering from below. If the plants are gone already, then I will yank them.

Everything else looks fantastic. I'm just following a routine maintenance of Neem and Daconil.

Thanks Marsha- you have always been so helpful to me :)

Darin

jillian June 24, 2017 02:36 PM

That really sucks.:(

Spartanburg123 June 24, 2017 02:39 PM

After some reading, it appears the best treatment for Spotted Leaf Virus is to yank the plant immediately, and hope that the whole garden isn't infected. This indeed sucks.

Thanks

RayR June 24, 2017 02:41 PM

Marsha, If it were TSWV there should be spots on the green too...right?

Darin, you haven't been spraying too heavy a mix or in the sun have you?

Country Breeze June 24, 2017 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=RayR;649512]Marsha, If it were TSWV there should be spots on the green too...right?

Darin, you haven't been spraying too heavy a mix or in the sun have you?[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking it sorta looks like chemical burn.

I've not had to deal with TSWV before to know what that looks like though.

Spartanburg123 June 24, 2017 03:14 PM

Ray- good question. I only spray at dusk, or usually at the end of the day after a good rain. Let me take some more pictures to help everyone.

Spartanburg123 June 24, 2017 03:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more pictures. I have now identified three plants with this- DLH, Olive Hill, and Rebel Yell. One Rebel Yell next to the infected plant looks just fine. I have found no evidence of thrips yet.

Thanks to everyone

Spartanburg123 June 24, 2017 04:16 PM

Any chance this could be black mold?

ginger2778 June 24, 2017 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=RayR;649512]Marsha, If it were TSWV there should be spots on the green too...right?

Darin, you haven't been spraying too heavy a mix or in the sun have you?[/QUOTE]

Yes if advanced enough, but if he caught this earlier, not all the leaves would show it. I think if it was a spray burn, there would be affected stems and most if not all the leaves too.
Darin, what are you spraying with? I really hope this is chemical burn. Mold, not the right pattern for it, no spores that I can see when I expand the photo.

Spartanburg123 June 24, 2017 06:00 PM

I just spray with Daconil and Neem, every few weeks or so, and not usually at the top of the plants. No, this appears to be TSWV for sure. I just removed all of the tomatoes for premature ripening, and am about to pull these three plants. It's OK- I have 25 others..

Thanks!

Spartanburg123 June 24, 2017 08:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
RIP Olive Hill, DLH, and Rebel Yell. Hopefully it ends HERE. Thanks to all for your help. Maybe some of these little greenies will have a little flavor when they are ripe. Olive Hill on left, DLH on right.