Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Rat tail radishes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41247)

aftermidnight May 18, 2016 01:16 PM

Rat tail radishes

I really like these, especially the variety 'Madras' I started out growing the longer podded rat tail but find I like Madras more, thanks Zeedman for putting me onto this one. No more trouble with bolting or wormy radishes for me:D.
I didn't seed any this year as several volunteers appeared and have been eating them for a couple of weeks now, this is the only radish I'll grow from now on.

Annette

Reign May 18, 2016 01:26 PM

Glad you posted this. I was just looking for a variety that might replace the rat tail I've been growing.

jmsieglaff May 18, 2016 01:29 PM

I'm growing Rattail for the first time this year, what did you like about 'Madras' more than Rattail. I also grow regular radishes for their roots.

aftermidnight May 18, 2016 01:38 PM

jmsieglaff, the pods of Madras are more succulent and tender and the degree of hotness is just right for me. You know you are eating a radish but don't have to fan the flame,

Annette

jmsieglaff May 18, 2016 02:15 PM

Thanks for the info! We left a couple regular radishes go to seed last year and enjoyed all the pods it produced. The thing that attracted me to try the rat tail is supposedly bigger sized pods. I'm looking forward to them.

Reign May 18, 2016 02:30 PM

I've been growing rattail for a few years and wanted to try something a little milder / different. I think I'll try both this year.

sdambr May 18, 2016 04:58 PM

Trying them for the first time this year too. No pods yet but anxiously waiting.

Patihum May 18, 2016 05:35 PM

While I loved eating them they were a horrible magnet for cabbage moths in my garden.

Reign May 18, 2016 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=Patihum;561168]While I loved eating them they were a horrible magnet for cabbage moths in my garden.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have that problem. But man. That would make them a great trap crop.

Fred Hempel May 18, 2016 06:54 PM

I have had the best luck with:

1. Daikon radish types -- most have nice uniform pods that have an extended period of softness. And, Daikon produces edible pods first for us.

2. The Rat Tail radish available from Seed Saver's Exchange. It takes longer for these plants to produce pods, but they produce prolifically, and for a much longer time, and the pods themselves are still soft up to ridiculous sizes and ages. We do have problems with some yellowing pathogen that seems to become more prevalent when multiple years of re-seeding is allowed.

Fred Hempel May 18, 2016 06:55 PM

Be patient! Bonafide Rat Tail radish is very slow to produce flowers and pods.

[QUOTE=sdambr;561161]Trying them for the first time this year too. No pods yet but anxiously waiting.[/QUOTE]

luigiwu May 18, 2016 10:13 PM

Does one eat the pods?

Fred Hempel May 18, 2016 10:19 PM

If one's mother tells them to.

aftermidnight May 18, 2016 10:20 PM

Yes, you eat the seed pods shortly after they've formed and before they dry down.

imp May 18, 2016 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=luigiwu;561242]Does one eat the pods?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Fred Hempel;561244]If one's mother tells them to.[/QUOTE]

One's Mother has the power of dessert, too.