Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   South Carolina, heat and humidity! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46658)

juliette February 12, 2018 01:17 PM

South Carolina, heat and humidity!

Does anyone have any recommendations for growing tomatoes (any particular variety) in the coastal area of South Carolina, just outside of Charleston on one of the islands? The weather has gotten progressively hotter and more humid, and diseases are rampant. I'm looking for that "old-fashioned" tomato flavor of years gone by, not super sweet by juicy and full of flavor! Thanks!

OzoneNY February 12, 2018 02:02 PM

Try the NCTomatoMan method. He seems to do quite well.
[url]https://www.growingagreenerworld.com/episode-803-epic-tomatoes/[/url]

BigVanVader February 12, 2018 02:11 PM

My advice would be to start with short season determinates like Mountain Pride or Mountain Fresh Plus. You could also try some parthenocarpic varieties Like Legend or Oregon Spring. They set fruit regardless of temps. Heat set varieties like Florida 91 or Tropic will get you through mid season and some heirlooms that will produce in heat are Eva Purple Ball, Prudens Purple, Indian Stripe PL, Arkansas Traveler. Good Luck!

mensplace February 16, 2018 11:36 AM

Have you seen the Goose Creek tomato

gssgarden February 16, 2018 09:01 PM

Start EARLY!! Did that last year here in Charlotte and it paid off. Get those flowers pollinated before the heat really sinks in.
Go with a reliable Big beef. :)

Greg

Nan_PA_6b February 17, 2018 01:10 AM

Caribe is a determinate that is said to withstand heat & humidity. I've never grown it, but 30 people should have gotten a packet in the MMMM.

Nan

edweather February 17, 2018 08:44 AM

I hear ya. We just moved to south GA 9a, from Syracuse, and tomato growing here is much more challenging. Started early last year with Big Beef, Indian Stripe PL, Stupice, and Creole. Had good luck until June, and then the heat, disease and bugs were overwhelming. Everyday rain didn't help. This year I germinated seeds early, but not early enough. Need to start around Christmas next year. Actually bought a plant from the store (say it isn't so) this year to get a jump. The weather is super warm now with daytime temps near 80, but need to guard against a freeze until mid March. Lots to think about.

kurt February 17, 2018 10:39 AM

On and in the groups,Flatag,and the Florida threads have a lot of info on humidity,barb,ginger 2778,I,Jenny all deal with that issue.Some of us live close to or on a island surrounded by salt.The guys from Atlanta,Alabama,Scott,Fusion,etc have some good remedy’s and variety’s in play.Good luck,have fun.

mensplace February 18, 2018 10:43 AM

In the low country you have to get them in the ground early and have a watering and shade system. I was always amazed to se my relatives a month ahead of me.

twillis2252 February 18, 2018 06:36 PM

Heat and humidity will take your tomatoes by middle of June. Fortunately, you have also a Fall season at your disposal.
Boone Hall Plantation, Mount Pleasant begins harvesting in October and occasionally has tomatoes at Thanksgiving.

b54red February 19, 2018 10:44 AM

A couple that always do well for me besides some that are already mentioned in the above posts for early planting down here are Limbaugh's Legacy, Neves Azorean Red, Red Barn and Cowlick's Brandywine. For later planting some varieties that do well in our summer heat are Indian Stripe pl, Margaret Curtain, Gary O' Sena, Pruden's Purple and Spudakee.

There are several things that you can do that will increase your chances in the heat and humidity.
1. Spray your plants with a fungicide every 7 to 10 days. I like to alternate Daconil and a copper spray.
2. Mulch the plants heavily to keep the ground moist and cooler. I use cypress mulch.
3. Prune the plants to allow better air flow and ease of spraying.
4. Feed the plants every week to ten days after they start blooming.

Bill

edweather February 19, 2018 09:50 PM

Good suggestions for dealing with the heat and humidity. Now lets figure out how to beat back the bugs.:( My whitefly problem last year was serious, and nothing I did stopped them.:no:

Spartanburg123 February 19, 2018 10:32 PM

What gssgarden said! Get them going early, get lots of fruit set down low and in the midsection of the plant, BEFORE the massive heat comes on....

b54red February 20, 2018 01:17 AM

[QUOTE=edweather;684442]Good suggestions for dealing with the heat and humidity. Now lets figure out how to beat back the bugs.:( My whitefly problem last year was serious, and nothing I did stopped them.:no:[/QUOTE]

Nothing I did worked for long. Whiteflies were the worst I have ever seen last summer.

Bill

bhalford March 1, 2018 12:05 PM

Lowcountry Frost date is March 15, beaches could plant next week.
A great hot weather determinant is Skyway, I have found