Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   pull it? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45888)

encore August 22, 2017 12:05 PM

pull it?

2 Attachment(s)
should i pull this plant? it's a cherokee purple, a few other plants are getting septoria which is kinda under control, this is the only one with stems like this with dark spots---thanks in advance----tom

encore August 22, 2017 04:40 PM

no ideas as to what this is?---tom

jillian August 22, 2017 06:23 PM

Looks a bit like bacterial spot or speck to me. Are there spots on the fruits? If not then I would spray with copper and keep an eye on it. If fruits are infected then yes, I would pull it. Are you spraying an insecticide? I ask because sometimes tomato russet mites can cause that rusty spotted appearance as well.
Maybe someone else will reply, I suspect bacterial.

b54red August 22, 2017 06:56 PM

Show a picture of the rest of the plant. Is it healthy with good looking foliage and fruit?
Agree about using copper and then just watch it. It could also be insect damage but that is rather mild compared to what I see nearly every day down here. If those spots become dark and large you may have something bad happening but right now it is hard to tell what.

Bill

encore August 24, 2017 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i trimmed the plant way back, this is what one of the more ripe one looks like, it's not blossom rot either. thanks----tom

encore August 24, 2017 09:37 AM

i am getting alot of seprorial spot on other plants, but stems don't look like this one.

encore August 25, 2017 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
what disease causes the tomatoes to start looking like this? don't believe it's blossom end rot, they are coming from the plants that are getting black spots on stems.

VC Scott August 25, 2017 04:06 PM

Maybe Anthracnose? The lesions appear to be sunken. It that correct?

encore August 25, 2017 05:40 PM

yes they are.

ginger2778 August 25, 2017 05:42 PM

I think it is BER. Nothing else looks exactly like that in that location. Stems do like like Septoria.

RayR August 26, 2017 01:44 AM

Sure looks like BER to me too.
Septoria causes those stem lesions also.

encore August 26, 2017 10:06 AM

ok thanks on the BER seems kinda odd tho, in that i've never seen it this late into the season, and never had any up to this point, lol, thanks---tom

Gerardo August 26, 2017 03:45 PM

1. I agree with the BER camp.

2. I'd treat the one with spotted stem and after 3-5 days decide.

I'm confident your strategy, after considering all the input here, will be the right one.

carolyn137 August 26, 2017 06:18 PM

And I think it's
good to remember that a single plant can have more than one disease.

I've posted this before but that one summer when the Cornell Coop Ext person brought interns to my tomato filed, I followed along with them making lots of notes as she made diagnoses and yes,there were some plants that had up to 3 foliage diseases,and yes,black streaks on the stems can be caused by several pathogens.

I learned more that summer about tomato diseases than ever before, but remember,mainly ones found in the cooler zones, not those that are very prevalent where flying critters spread diseases and other ones found where it's warm and humid for a good part of the growing season..

She was trained by Dr.Tom Zitter at Cornell,a recognized tomato disease authority and not just in the US.

After being baffled by some symptoms I saw on small transplants,mainly hearts, I asked him about it, he knew what I was talking about and said they thought it was an aberrant form of Early Blight

I ended up calling it the CRUD.

This is the best link I know of that discusses the various diseases and which parts of the plants they can affect.

[url]http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/DiagnosticKeys/TomLeaf/TomLeafKey.html[/url]

All to say,I see more than one disease in the pictures being shown.

Carolyn

gssgarden August 27, 2017 12:04 AM

Me, Me, ME!!