Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   (Another) Paper Towel Method question (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44180)

ARgardener March 6, 2017 09:50 PM

(Another) Paper Towel Method question

First off, I'm using coffee filters and not paper towels.

I'm wondering- after I transplant the tiny seedlings to soil, should I cover the soil with some plastic until the seedling [I]emerges[/I] to keep it moist? Or should I simply sow and leave uncovered?

Also, what's the time frame for this method?
I'm starting tomato, peppers, and eggplants. So far, on day 3, I've got 3 sprouts from one variety of tomato. My other 4 varieties of tomato, my 2 of eggplant, and my 6 of pepper show nothing yet.
Just wondering so I can know when to start freaking out:dizzy:

rhines81 March 7, 2017 07:51 AM

You do not need to cover sprouts. Just make sure the soil is moist at first. Coffee filter method takes the same time to germinate as sowing in soil. Your peppers and eggplant could take 3 weeks, but 7 - 12 days is more normal. Depends on temperature too.

ARgardener March 7, 2017 08:37 AM

[QUOTE=rhines81;623800]Depends on temperature too.[/QUOTE]

They're atop my hot water heater.. It's consistently 80-85

ginger2778 March 7, 2017 08:58 AM

No cover, and on tomato seeds, should definitely be activity by 6 days. I can't comment on peppers and eggplants.

ARgardener March 7, 2017 12:03 PM

8 hours later, seeing activity in 2 or 3 more tomato varieties!

Was wondering about covering since I'll be transplanting just tiny seeds with roots; not sprouts. Since people cover trays until emergence, I thought it would make sense to keep it all covered until things actually break the surface

ARgardener March 7, 2017 04:16 PM

[B]Update:[/B] I've now got germination in all but 1 variety of tomato (Dr Wyches) and 2 of pepper (tobago seasoning and golden marconi)! Incredible!

I think I'm goig to cover the trays until seedlings [I]emerge[/I].. Only makes sense. I mean, when you sow in your cells, you cover until emergence. What's the difference if they're started in the soil or the paper towel? The covering/ uncovering depends on emergence (feedback?)

KC.Sun March 7, 2017 04:21 PM

You'll want to be careful of mold if it is too wet with the cover.

ARgardener March 7, 2017 04:24 PM

[QUOTE=KC.Sun;623897]You'll want to be careful of mold if it is too wet with the cover.[/QUOTE]

I get that.. don't most people keep things covered till seedlings emerge though??

Hunt-Grow-Cook March 7, 2017 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=ARgardener;623898]I get that.. don't most people keep things covered till seedlings emerge though??[/QUOTE]

Covering trays initially traps moisture and heat allowing the seeds to germinate. You already did that in the bag so it will only be a couple days at most for them to break the soil if you are sowing at the correct depth. I agree with K.C. you increase chances of damping off by covering at this point, I wouldn't do it.

dmforcier March 7, 2017 07:40 PM

Even before the germ puts up cotyledons it drills for water. Assuming that your starting dirt has some moisture-retaining power, there is little need to try to retain moisture. There will be plenty below.

When I got my 4xT8 fixture I left the dome on as I'd always done with the old 2xT12 fixture and found that the temps under the dome exceeded 105°! Since then I pretty much don't use the dome at all.

ARgardener March 7, 2017 07:52 PM

I don't understand why y'all are saying that there would be an increased risk for damping off. People cover their seed trays for the entire length of germination plus the time it takes for the seed to sprout… That is days longer than I would need to cover. So why would there be an increased concern for what I mentioned??

No matter what, The aforementioned plan is less risky for dampimg off I'd say

Hunt-Grow-Cook March 7, 2017 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=ARgardener;623939]I don't understand why y'all are saying that there would be an increased risk for damping off. People cover their seed trays for the entire length of germination plus the time it takes for the seed to sprout… That is days longer than I would need to cover. So why would there be an increased concern for what I mentioned??

No matter what, The aforementioned plan is less risky for dampimg off I'd say[/QUOTE]

Unnecessary moisture. And no, they only leave it on until they can see visible sprouts, i.e germination. You already know your seeds have germinated, its really just unnecessary for a dome. If you think there is a benefit to the dome, then go for it. The plastic bag germination, did everything the dome would have. It just plainly isn't needed though.

dmforcier March 7, 2017 08:22 PM

Grasshopper, do as you will.

ginger2778 March 7, 2017 09:21 PM

[QUOTE=Hunt-Grow-Cook;623940]Unnecessary moisture. And no, they only leave it on until they can see visible sprouts, i.e germination. You already know your seeds have germinated, its really just unnecessary for a dome. If you think there is a benefit to the dome, then go for it. The plastic bag germination, did everything the dome would have. It just plainly isn't needed though.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Curious, why do you want to cover them so much? Airflow is one of, if not the best ways to be sure you don't get damping off. I never ever use a cover or dome, indeed, my seedlings are put near a ceiling fan for airflow. The one you'd I covered, I got horrid damping off.

They are your seeds, you can do as you wish.

ARgardener March 7, 2017 11:58 PM

Alright... Got my seeds planted and they're [U]not[/U] covered. Figured you folks know more than I! Haha

Now. When do I need to water these itty bitty things? How to tell and how to water (top or bottom)?

I'm using Speedling trays if that makes any difference.