Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Smooth Hearts? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47500)

Greatgardens May 15, 2018 02:17 AM

Smooth Hearts?

What are some good, smooth (little or no ribbing) hearts? Any color, although I'm partial to orange and pink varieties.
GG

ginger2778 May 15, 2018 07:29 AM

Grightmire's Pride, one of the best pink hearts, delicious, and early.

Spartanburg123 May 15, 2018 09:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sgt. Pepper's is a nice smooth pink heart, with fantastic flavor. It has almost no ribbing, and a nice nipple on the bottom of many of the fruit. DLH is also pretty smooth, but does have some ribbing around the stem end. Sgt. Pepper's first, DLH last picture below:

carolyn137 May 15, 2018 09:09 PM

Just getting over a tornado alert, which didn't happen, so I'll try to come back maybe tomorrow and suggest some varieties.

I'm the ultimate heart lover but off hand I can't think of any I've grown that are ribbed.I have a list of hearts I've grown in my data book, but stopped listing them maybe two years ago, so to date,maybe several hundreds of heart varieties grown.

My two favorite kinds of varieties to grow have been hearts and Green When Ripes , and yes,there are some GWR hearts as well,well maybe just one that I can remember right now and that is Reinhard's Green Heart.

Carolyn

Greatgardens May 16, 2018 02:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Had never heard of most of them. DLH -- Dotson's Lebanese Heart? Nice looking fruit! Looked up GP, and Tania gave it a nice endorsement, also. I'm growing three dwarf hearts this year -- Pink Passion, Purple Heart, and Golden Heart. I really like PP a lot, but I would like it even more of it were a bit larger than my typical 4-5 oz. But the dwarfs grow so nicely in an Earthbox.
GG

Tormato May 16, 2018 12:52 PM

Lithuanian Crested Pink is the only heart that I know of that, often enough, gets deep ribbing. The ribs are only a few per tomato. Other than that, almost all heart varieties that I've trialed are relatively smooth.

carolyn137 May 17, 2018 01:29 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;700260]Just getting over a tornado alert, which didn't happen, so I'll try to come back maybe tomorrow and suggest some varieties.

I'm the ultimate heart lover but off hand I can't think of any I've grown that are ribbed.I have a list of hearts I've grown in my data book, but stopped listing them maybe two years ago, so to date,maybe several hundreds of heart varieties grown.

My two favorite kinds of varieties to grow have been hearts and Green When Ripes , and yes,there are some GWR hearts as well,well maybe just one that I can remember right now and that is Reinhard's Green Heart.

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

Finally getting back to you. And I hope you are looking for varieties for next year since in Indiana IMO it's too late to start sowing seeds for this year.

Anna Margaret's Heart,pink
Orange Russian 117, the first bicolor heart ever
Orange Minsk Heart
Lithuanian Crested Pink
Ludmilla's Pink Heart
Orange Strawberry
Tsar Kolokol
Omar's Lebanese Heart,pink
Kosovo,pink

and now some others that I've always liked

Danko,red
Bobbie, red
Brad's Black Heart
Fish Lake Oxheart
Granny's Heart
Hays'
Kukla's Portuguese Heart, red
Milka's Red Bulgarian
Indiana Red
Joe's Pink Oxheart
Nicky Crain, oops,is pink
Provenzano,red
Russian 117, red
Serdtse Buivola, (heart of the buffalo)
Ukranian Heart
Wes,red
Sgt Pepper, pink with antho shoulders
Bytse Serdtse aka Cour di Bui orange
Aunt Sophie, red heart
Pink Delice, heart
Grandee, red heart
German Red Strawberry, red heart
Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart
Toltuska, raspberry/ Pink Heart
Reinhard's Green Heart
Reinhard's Purple Heart
Reinhar's Purple Heart
Yaponets, red heart
Slastyona, red heart
Indian Striped heart, PL

I think the above are enough for now.

And several new hearts sent to me from Andrey, already being selected by the seed producer group.

And several new hearts sent to me by Lotte, but not written down in my data book so would have to search my e-mails to find that list.Too much on my to do list right now.

Of the ones I listed about all were grown for me,or in the past by me.

Carolyn,who knows she's a dedicated heart lover, but as the years go forward,she's been more interested in taste,than fruit form or yield.

TomNJ May 17, 2018 04:13 PM

Kosovo has been my staple tomato for years. Large, smooth, early, productive, solid pink hearts with no scabs or scars and a small core. Perfect for canning or eating - sweet slabs cover a slice of bread...:love: