Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Undercover Gardening™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   2018 winter grow (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46291)

Rajun Gardener December 12, 2017 10:53 PM

2018 winter grow

10 Attachment(s)
I'm trying superhot peppers this year just cuz, they survived the snow and freeze so far. I'm not expecting flowers till probably March but I'm hoping the plant is huge by then and it should be a big producer. Tomatoes are suckers from a friends GH I started a few weeks ago and I brought the Mirlitons in hoping they grow, I had to chop them off the trellis but they're growing again. That's Ghosts in the blue containers and the weather didn't slow down the flowers/buds yet. They look bad due to the rains we had this year but I started feeding them the hydro/masterblend solution and they're greening up at the top growth.

MissS December 14, 2017 04:26 PM

Looks like a great way to pass the winter. It's a nice set-up too.

Rajun Gardener January 2, 2018 10:03 AM

1-2-2018 update, it's 23° in South Louisiana WOW!!

13 Attachment(s)
I'm trying a few new things. I started some cuke seeds, they're not growing very fast but they should pick up once these freezing temps move out. The Ghost peppers in the blue containers are still flowering and making peppers. The mirlitons are growing slowly too, they grow about 4" a day when the temps are about 80° inside.

I took these about 7:30 central time, there was ice on the plastic but the small electric heaters were keeping them warm.

Salsacharley January 2, 2018 10:06 AM

They look really good!

MdTNGrdner January 11, 2018 01:09 PM

Oooh Ahhh I need to get one of these setups! :lol:

Looks great RG

Waiting for spring!!

mannalon January 11, 2018 01:56 PM

I just learned that chayote are also called mirlitons. From where I'm from we eat their young shoots.

hl2601 January 12, 2018 01:41 PM

Rajun that's an awesome set up! What varieties of tomatoes are you growing there?
Heide

BigVanVader January 12, 2018 01:58 PM

How are you heating it and how much does it cost you a month?

Rajun Gardener January 12, 2018 04:59 PM

[QUOTE=hl2601;677802]Rajun that's an awesome set up! What varieties of tomatoes are you growing there?
Heide[/QUOTE]

I don't know what most of them are, I took suckers from a friends greenhouse and he didn't remember what they are. I did start 2 Bloody Butchers and I do have 2 F-1 crosses I made last year, they're Compari X Rebel Yell and Siberian X Rebel Yell.

Nan_PA_6b April 3, 2018 12:01 PM

Rajun, can you tell us anything about the Compari x Rebel Yell? (I think it's spelled Campari though).

Nan

Rajun Gardener May 10, 2018 05:08 PM

Sorry Nan, I just saw this. The F-1 was a small tomato about Campari size. I have F-2 seeds to start but haven't yet.

Nan_PA_6b May 10, 2018 05:16 PM

F-2 is the fun one!

Nan