Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Snacks (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=74)

Mischka February 1, 2006 02:49 AM

Snacks

[b]Post Tomato Snack recipes here[/b] :)

Garrett1 February 1, 2006 04:23 PM

Popcorn: Bully Style!

Ok here's what you do.
Buy popcorn kernels in bulk
buy brown paper bags
put 1/3 cup of popcorn into brown paper bag
staple once in the middle (though it's metal the staple is too small for the microwaves to bother it or do any damage)
Put in the micro wave and hit the popcorn button
If you don't have a popcorn setting then buy a new microwave that does....or just listen for the kernels popping and when they slow down then pull it out.
You'll burn it a few times till you figure it out.

Oh yeah..eat it with a tomato..this is a tomato recipe forum..or eat it while looking through the tomato catalogs.

bully
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/tomatobully/popcorn/popcorn.jpg[/img]

Woodenzoo February 1, 2006 05:43 PM

BLT BITES

BLT BITES

16 to 20 cherry tomatoes
1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/3 cup chopped green onions
3 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tablespoons snipped fresh parsley

Cut a thin slice off of each tomato top. Scoop out and discard pulp. Invert the tomatoes on a paper towel to drain. In a small bowl, combine all remaining ingredients; mix well. Spoon into tomatoes. Refrigerate for several hours. Yield: 16-20 appetizer servings

coronabarb February 1, 2006 07:08 PM

[b]Oregano Tomatoes

4 large tomatoes
2 ounces butter
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped OR 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 clove garlic, crushed
black pepper
pinch salt
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated

Cut tomatoes in half horizontally and place in a shallow flameproof dish. Beat butter in a bowl with oregano, garlic, pepper, salt and Parmesan. Spread mixture over cut side of each tomato. Broil under medium heat for about 5 minutes until the topping is just turning golden.[/b]

coronabarb February 1, 2006 07:16 PM

[b]Avo-Cream Cheese Cherry Bites

1 ripe avocado
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp chives
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp salt
Dash pepper sauce
1-1/2 pints cherry tomatoes
sprig parsley

Peel and pit avocado. Puree avocado and lemon juice in food processor or blender until smooth. Add garlic, herbs, cream cheese, salt and pepper sauce and blend well. Transfer into bowl and refrigerate until stiff.

Cut off tops of tomatoes and scoop out insides; drain tomato shells on a paper towel. Fill pastry bag with avocado mixture and fill tomatoes. Garnish with a sprig of parsley and serve cold.[/b]

coronabarb February 22, 2006 01:43 AM

[b]Mozzarella S'Mores

16 tomato halves
1 ball of fresh mozzarella (8 - 10 ounces), cut into 16 pieces (cut cheese into 4 thick slices, then cut each slice into quarters)
16 fresh basil leaves
16 garlic rubbed grilled bread slices or 32 crackers
barbecue forks or skewers

Place tomatoes in an attractive serving bowl. Arrange mozzarella, basil leaves, and grilled bread or crackers in bowls or on a platter. Set up grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.

Skewer a cube of mozzarella and roast it over the fire, turning the skewer to evenly melt the cheese. If using a gas grill, you'll need to bring it as close as possible to the fire without touching the grate. When the mozzarella begins to melt and brown, after 1 to 2 minutes over charcoal, a little longer over gas, use a knife or fork to scrape the cheese off the skewer onto a piece of grilled bread. Never attempt to eat the melted cheese directly off the hot skewer - you'll burn your lips.

Top cheese with a basil leaf and a piece of sun-dried
tomato and place a second piece of grilled bread on top. Eat at once. [/b]

coronabarb February 23, 2006 01:58 AM

[b]Garlic Kissed Tomatoes

6 med tomatoes, halved horizontal and squeezed lightly to release seeds
1/4 cup oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
3 tbl lemon juice
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Place tomato halves in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over tomatoes. Seal and invert, making sure to coat all the tomatoes. Chill at least 4 hours or up to 2 days, shaking jar occasionally. [/b]

coronabarb February 23, 2006 11:57 PM

[b] Paul's Feta Stuffed Tomatoes

4 round, firm medium tomatoes (10 to 12oz)
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons dry parsley
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 tablespoon fresh chopped
4 oz. feta cheese
parmesan or mozzarella cheese

Cut tops off the tomatoes. Scoop out and reserve pulp. Chop pulp, then mix in all ingredients except for parmesan cheese. Stuff tomatoes with pulp mixture. Sprinkle top with parmesean or mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Serve while hot.

NOTE: Don't use soft or mushy tomatoes. You want a good firm tomato that will stand up to the oven - maybe slightly underripe. [/b]

coronabarb April 21, 2006 01:36 PM

[b]Zucchini Stuffed Tomatoes

36 cherry tomatoes
1 1/2 lb zucchini, peeled and shredded
1/4 cup golden raisins, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tbl pine nuts
1 tbl white wine vinegar

Trim a small slice off the top of each tomato, remove seeds, and drain, cut side down, on paper towels.

In a skillet, saute zucchini, raisins, salt and pepper until all liquid evaporates. Add vinegar and cook mixture again until liquid is evaporated. Spread out on a plate and chill.

Stir in nuts, and spoon into tomatoes. Chill until ready to serve. [/b]

coronabarb May 3, 2006 01:23 AM

[b]Cherry Bombs
from Valereee

3 pints firm bite-sized red cherry tomatoes (about sixty)
1/2 cup vodka
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon superfine granulated sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
3 tablespoons fleur de sel or kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly-ground coarse black pepper

Cut a small X in skin of blossom end of each tomato. Blanch tomatoes, 5 at a time, in a saucepan of boiling water 3 seconds and immediately transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. (Very important not to let the toms =cook=, as the texture will suffer.)

Drain and peel, transferring to a large shallow dish. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead, then covered and chilled.)

Stir together vodka, vinegar, sugar, and zest until sugar is dissolved. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead then covered and chilled.)

Pour marinade over tomatoes, gently tossing to coat. Marinate, covered and chilled, at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.

Stir together salt and pepper and serve with tomatoes for dipping.

For an extra flavor kick, use lemon vodka or pepper vodka. Gin also works well for those who prefer the flavor of gin to that of vodka, but I've found that while you can use cheap vodka, you can't use cheap gin.[/b]

coronabarb May 3, 2006 01:29 AM

[b]Pickled Tomatoes
by MikeH

Here's the recipe I used for both peppers and green tomatoes last summer. We really liked the results! I had to adjust the amount of brine, depending on how many green toms or peppers I was going to use. Just make sure you have enough brine to cover.

Green tomatoes, sliced
Onions, sliced thinly
Ice cubes
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbl. mustard seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp tumeric

In a large bowl, combine tomato, onion slices, salt and ice. Let stand at room temperature for one to two hours,tossing occationally. Fill bowl with water and drain veggies in a colander, draining well.

In a large, non-reactive pot, add vinegar,sugar and spices(a spice bag may be used if you wish). Bring to a boil. Add veggies and let brine just come back to a boil, then remove from heat. Let mix come back to room temperature. When cool, pack in jars,making sure the brine covers to the top. Seal and store in the fridge. It will be ready to eat the next day.

I made the green tomato and pepper pickles in Sept. and am still eating tomatoes (I only made 3 quarts worth of the peppers. I'll not that mistake again as they were gone by Dec, LOL)! [/b]

jenn_sc May 4, 2006 06:46 PM

Bloody Mary Tomatoes

I came across this in the archives of the Harvest forum over at GW. I was intrigued!

Take your best, most flavorful tomatoes. Dip in boiling water, then ice water, to remove skins.

Soak peeled tomatoes in good vodka.
Serve with a dish of sea salt and toothpicks on the side.

Yum!

Jennifer

coronabarb May 18, 2006 06:05 PM

[b]Tomato Spinach Spread
from [i]Taste of Home[/i] Magazine

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry in paper towel
1 small onion, finely chopped

In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, milk, salt and cayenne until smooth. Stir in tomatoes, spinach and onion. Spoon into an ungreased glass pie plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 5 minutes until heated through, stirring once.

Pita Triangles:
1 Tbl butter, melted
1 Tbl olive oil
6 whole pita breads
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning

Combine butter and oil; brush over both sides of pitas. Cut each pita into 8 wedges; place on ungreased baking sheets. Combine cumin and lemon pepper; sprinkle over both sides of wedges. Broil 4" from heat for 2-3 minutes each side, until lightly browned. Serve with spread.[/b]

TheDens June 6, 2006 06:36 PM

Tomato cheese toast and crackers

These two snacks are both so simple I'd hardly even call them recipies. Still, they're about as tasty and satisfying a way to treat a case of the munchies when you're feeling lazy as you'll ever find. Both also make a great after school snack for kids.

Tomato cheese toast:

1 slice good crusty sourdough
American cheese
tomato slices
oregano
garlic powder

Toast the sourdough (I prefer it very crunchy). Cover with American cheese. Top cheese with tomato slices. Toast again in the toaster oven on "top brown" setting until tomatoes are hot. Sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano. Cover with another layer of cheese, let the cheese melt, and eat.

Tomato cheese crackers:

Your favorite crackers (I prefer Triscuits)
cream cheese
cherry tomatoes (the sweeter the better, imho)

Pretty self explanitory. Spread cream cheese over the cracker, place a slice or two of cherry tomato on top, and eat.

Denna

Tomaat March 18, 2008 04:35 PM

I have a simple snack tomato recipe to share with you all :

- 250 grams cherry tomatoes (cut in half).
- Shreded italian basil, around 10 to 20 leaves or so will do).
- 1 clove finely chopped garlic (use elephant garlic for mild taste).
- 1 to 2 tablespoon olive oil.
- some salt.

Mix them all, ready to be snack...simple and yummy :).