Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Sun Orange and Sun Green (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47188)

Barb_FL April 2, 2018 10:34 PM

Sun Orange and Sun Green

1 Attachment(s)
I started 1 seed of each on March 2 which is extremely late for Florida. I was really interested in Sun Orange when I read about it here. Curiosity took over, and I bought the seeds and rather than wait until August - October to sow them, I gave each a 1 seed trial. Sun Orange is suppose to be the improved SunGold with larger fruit and no splitting. Time will tell.

Here are the seedlings at exactly 1 month from sowing. The Sun Orange is on the right and has a few buds forming.

I think I can get fruit before the nights get too warm. They are cherries after all. These plants have endured a lot of wind in the last month.

I'm going to plant these out later this week. I need to free up an Earthbox, or just plant in a Root Pouch.

This season (starts with August sowing), I've grown SunChocola, SunPeach, and continued with SunGold. I'm loving these Tokita varieties and of the 3, Sun Peach is my favorite. I will be growing some others in the fall.

imp April 2, 2018 10:53 PM

I've heard that even the plant of Sun Gold has a particular scent - does yours and the Sun Orange also have this scent?

I'll be growing out Sun Gold for the first time this year, so I am curious.

Barb_FL April 2, 2018 11:00 PM

Yes, SunGold has it's own scent and it is strong. I've been sniffing SunOrange since it's first true leaves. I think I notice the scent; not sure it's as strong as SG though. However, I never made a point of sniffing SunGolds like I've been doing with SO.

I grew out a SG cutting; it is quite a mature plant now and the tomatoes are larger than the typical SG.

AlittleSalt April 2, 2018 11:33 PM

Barb, I am interested in your findings.

The Sungold plant does have it's own scent to it. When it rains every day for weeks that scent turns to sunskunk :lol: I had to hold my breath at times near the Sungold plant back in 2015 when it rained so much here.

imp April 2, 2018 11:54 PM

Hadn't grown it, though many here seemed to like it. BTW, the plants look very good, nice dark green leaves.

RJGlew April 4, 2018 02:45 AM

Hi Barb, those plants look really good. I am really excited to be able to try these two as well this season. From Tokita - "Yes, SunOrange is our variety. Initially we promoted it as a Sungold improved variety..." I'm certainly hoping it is a winner.

CamuMahubah April 6, 2018 04:16 AM

I've grown Sun Sugar for three years now. It smells good to me. It doesn't smell like the other tomatoes. Almost a fruity hoppy smell. Never grown Sun Gold so I don't if it is similar.

Al@NC April 6, 2018 05:57 PM

CamuMahubah, Not to change topics from OP but you really should try Sungold before you fully ban hybrids!

Al

CamuMahubah April 6, 2018 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=Al@NC;693686]CamuMahubah, Not to change topics from OP but you really should try Sungold before you fully ban hybrids!

Al[/QUOTE]

There not fully banned forever but I want to save seeds. I got Egg Yolk free from totally tomato and ALittleSalt sent me Porter. I don't know if there is enough difference between Sun Sugar and Sun Gold to warrant paying for seeds.

RJGlew April 6, 2018 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=CamuMahubah;693694]There not fully banned forever but I want to save seeds. I got Egg Yolk free from totally tomato and ALittleSalt sent me Porter. I don't know if there is enough difference between Sun Sugar and Sun Gold to warrant paying for seeds.[/QUOTE]

Sunsugar is a hybrid. Seminis-Petoseed, 1999.

[url]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/SunSugar_F1[/url]

CamuMahubah April 7, 2018 04:01 AM

[QUOTE=RJGlew;693713]Sunsugar is a hybrid. Seminis-Petoseed, 1999.

[url]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/SunSugar_F1[/url][/QUOTE]

Yah I know that. I've grown it for several years.

Barb_FL April 9, 2018 09:42 PM

Here they are - 5 weeks from sowing

1 Attachment(s)
Planted the two seedlings out on Friday, April 6. They were so root bound; I could have easily planted them out earlier.

They really grew a lot since that last picture. Put on some stem girth too.

SunGreen is taller and has one cluster of buds; SunOrange has one cluster flowering and another cluster of buds.

Sun Orange has that Sun Gold scent.

----
Next milestone Fruit set.

RJGlew April 9, 2018 11:37 PM

Hi Barb - thank you for posting the picture. Your plants look good - their colour is really outstanding. Now we know that Sunorange is Tokita's "Improved Sungold" I am very interested to hear your thoughts on it. Nice to see it is so early. Good luck, and I'll watch for more pictures.

Barb_FL April 10, 2018 07:48 AM

Next picture I will put a cover over the pineapples and background noise so just the plants stand out.

They really are fast growers; took to the transplant and intense sun without issue.

Thank you for contacting Tokita to verify their authenticity.

ETA - April 10, 1 month and 8 days from sowing, Sun Orange has set fruit!!!!

Al@NC April 10, 2018 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;694374]
ETA - April 10, 1 month and 8 days from sowing, Sun Orange has set fruit!!!![/QUOTE]

That's crazy!!:panic::dizzy::D