Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   tomato leaf issue... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47597)

nathan125 May 30, 2018 09:52 PM

tomato leaf issue...

3 Attachment(s)
So I had one tomato get this bad, so I yanked it out. The other three are showing the same thing essentially. I pruned off the leaves with this junk on it but more are appearing on the infected plants. The other bed of tomatoes look fine but 4 of the 5 in the other bed are with leafs like this.

Shrinkrap May 30, 2018 10:00 PM

Sorry! I don't know what that is. I was here searching for damage from spider mites and Western flower thrip problems, common in my area, and I'm planting in containers. Your plants are in "beds", meaning in the ground? Maybe you can say more about your situation. Might help to narrow down your area from "America". We have similar granite countertops!

greenthumbomaha May 30, 2018 10:03 PM

I can't tell from the photo. Do you have a solid background for another photo? It looks like leaf scorch or fertilizer burn, neither a concern long term. Hang tight until some experts chime in.

- Lisa

Nan_PA_6b May 30, 2018 10:19 PM

Mildew, maybe. A solution of 1 part milk to 9 parts water is helpful.

Or sunburn. Did you harden off your plants, gradually getting them used to the sun?

Nan

nathan125 May 30, 2018 10:51 PM

Plants were in ground for a couple weeks. We got hit with some high winds and rain. Lots of sprays drift through this area so that is a possibility. I did apply some greenish manure around the base along with some osmocote.

Worth1 May 30, 2018 10:58 PM

White spots will go way soon enough keep pinching.
Not uncommon.

Worth

bower May 31, 2018 07:26 AM

High winds and rain... I've definitely seen these 'scorch' spots on outdoor tomatoes when they first get hit with inclement weather. I agree with the advice to just prune em off.
Even my leeks have gotten scorched from being put out this year into wind, frost, etc. Sometimes I've put tomatoes out and had them lose literally all of their foliage, which was soft and tender due to indoor and greenhouse conditions, unfit for the real world. The new foliage that grows back is entirely different, very tough and ready. :yes: The plants do just fine afterwards.
BTW if you're concerned about the rate of leaf loss, there's nothing wrong with pinching part or half a leaf. Personally I think it's good for the plants, stimulating the natural response to herbivores (eg probably increase of solanine) and making the plant less palatable to the preds.

carolyn137 May 31, 2018 11:33 AM

What is the white stuff I see around the base of the plants themselves?

Does the other bed also have the white stuff as well?

Carolyn

ginger2778 May 31, 2018 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;702349]What is the white stuff I see around the base of the plants themselves?

Does the other bed also have the white stuff as well?

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

Carolyn he's showing a cut leaf on top of a granite countertop.

ginger2778 May 31, 2018 11:59 AM

Nathan, does that large white area rub/scrape off? I think this is just bad sun scald, which it will grow out of, but if it scrapes off then you have a fungal problem.

carolyn137 May 31, 2018 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;702352]Carolyn he's showing a cut leaf on top of a granite countertop.[/QUOTE]

I was confused when he said

(The other bed of tomatoes look fine but 4 of the 5 in the other bed are with leafs like this.)

So I thought 2 beds were being discussed.I was wrong.

Actually I've never seen such a highly magnified granite countertop like that either.:)

Carolyn

seaeagle May 31, 2018 01:29 PM

When the lower leaves get infected with a fungus or any type of disease the plants have what Botanists call the Suicide response. The plant actually signals the cells of the infected area to die. So when the lower leaves die it is actually the plant doing it to starve the disease and save itself. Maybe Carolyn can explain this better if she is not to busy at her new website :)

And yes plants do have an immune system and just like in other species a strong immune system depends on what it is fed. That is the truth. :twisted:

oakley May 31, 2018 02:06 PM

I've probably seen it all but nothing like that. I had a bit of sun scald this year but it bleaches out a bit more
than that and burns the leaf density to a paper thin spot and falls hollow then browns quickly. Rugosa leaves
take a bit longer to crisp but they never look like that.

That looks shiny like thin oil paint. Any Canadian geese flocks flying over, :surprised:

Maybe take a few picks of other leaves on the plant and is it just on outside leaves, lower leaves, or newer
growth. ?

zipcode June 1, 2018 03:27 AM

My guess is that those leaves are wet that's why things look a bit funky. It does look like sunscald otherwise.

Shrinkrap June 1, 2018 11:04 AM

How about edema/Intumescence (Oedema) ?

Doesn't look quite right, but reminds me of something ideas once.

[URL="http://ucnfanews.ucanr.edu/Articles/Science_to_the_Grower/SCIENCE_TO_THE_GROWER__edema_on_plant_leaf_/"]http://ucnfanews.ucanr.edu/Articles/Science_to_the_Grower/SCIENCE_TO_THE_GROWER__edema_on_plant_leaf_/[/URL]