Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Any Yellow Leaf Pepper Plants? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=32322)

suvoth May 6, 2014 07:32 PM

Any Yellow Leaf Pepper Plants?

1 Attachment(s)
Are there such a thing as yellow pepper leaf plants? I have a mystery pepper growing (got organic sweet red long peppers from grocery store and am trying to grow it). The plants seem very healthy other than the fact that the newer leaves are coming up yellow. I did spray the top of the soil with a mixture of water and baking soda for a mold issue (which is gone now). Just wondering. Oh and the spots are just dried up baking soda :) Thanks!

Tracydr May 6, 2014 08:58 PM

They look they are nitrogen or iron deficient. I wonder if the baking soda increased the pH?

suvoth May 6, 2014 08:59 PM

hmm possibly? I've just used ferts on them yesterday..guess we'll see if they can get back to norm. Thanks!

RayR May 7, 2014 05:05 PM

Some pepper seedlings come up with yellow leaves for me but will green up as the leaves get larger but that usually only happens with the first thru third set of true leaves. It only happens on certain varieties I've noticed

suvoth May 7, 2014 05:43 PM

Thanks...fingers crossed that it'll right itself then :D

nctomatoman May 8, 2014 05:56 PM

There is a variety called NuMex Pinata - a variant of a Jalapeno that they bred with peppers that go from cream to orange to red - that has young seedling color that is much more of a yellow green - but it goes pretty mainstream green as a mature plant. I've seen purple, variegated...but not yet yellow.

suvoth May 8, 2014 08:43 PM

Hmm..I'll look that up. Thanks!

suvoth May 24, 2014 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to post an update to the yellow leaf mystery. Plant is doing quite well now!

RayR May 24, 2014 09:42 PM

Looking good. I don't know why yellow new growth happens with some pepper varieties when they are very young but it happens and they just grow out of it and green up, Usually when you see yellowed leaves at the top of the plant you think of iron deficiency, but you know that can't be when you have other varieties that are in the same tray that have been watered and fertilized the same way. If it happened to tomatoes or eggplant I would be concerned, but for peppers I don't even think about it anymore.

suvoth May 24, 2014 09:48 PM

Yes, next time I know to relax lol

suvoth August 4, 2014 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to post an update to what these "mystery" plants actually produce. Impressed! It's got loads of peppers on it too.

suvoth August 4, 2014 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These were the peppers I bought and harvested the seeds from.

suvoth August 24, 2014 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Love these peppers so far! Soooo productive! I have been picking them green though because I can't wait for them to turn red lol

ginger2778 August 24, 2014 04:25 PM

My peppers turned a little yellow( they are young and small still ) the next day after adding fertilizer. I think I gave them too much of some nutrients throwing the balance off. I gave them a little dilute epsom salts water and the green came right back. In your prev. Posts you said they yellowed right after giving them some fertilizer too.
I have also noticed this with young tomato seedlings of mine.

suvoth August 24, 2014 04:31 PM

Ahh interesting. My other peppers hadn't done it but it must be certain types.