Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   My 2021 Tomato Grow List (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50813)

jmsieglaff February 1, 2021 09:22 PM

My 2021 Tomato Grow List

You'd think in a pandemic with so much home time, I'd be online more than ever, but somehow the opposite has been true in 2020 and continuing into 2021. I've got my 2021 garden plans nearly finalized and wanted to share my tomato list for 2021, just because! I have micro dwarf tomatoes just sprouted, those grow in pots by the patio door and start going outside as soon as days allow in March/April before moving out for good in May, they always make for a 4-6 week jump on the tomato harvest which is so very much appreciated!

On to the main list:

[B]Garden Beds[/B]
KBX (every year)
Sudduth Brandywine (every year)
Sungold F1 (every year)
Tundra (grew it last year for the first time and wowed by flavor!)
Rosella Cherry (another grew it for the first time last year and very wowed with flavor and production)
Polish (new to me)
Lilian's Yellow Heirloom (new to me)
Black Krim (every year)
Dikovinka (new to me)
Brad's Atomic Grape (new to me)
Cherokee Purple x Lilian's Yellow Heirloom F1 (new to me)
Not Wisconsin 55 Gold F2 (had an apparent F1 bee cross last year with Wisconsin 55 Gold and an unknown striped tomato--the F1 was a gold saladette with green stripes, tasty, productive, and foliage was rather healthy)
3 more slots with about 6 varieties on my short list.....still giving myself some wiggle room :lol:

[B]Dwarfs in 5 gal buckets[/B]
Eagle Smiley Yellow Cherry (every year--my selected and named tomato, will be released in 2022, part of the Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project--Teensy family)
5 different Teensy family lead plants
Dwarf Mr. Snow (new to me)
Dwarf Emerald Giant (grew it last year and loved it)
Dwarf Grinch (new to me)

I hope everyone has great luck with their gardens in 2021!

hl2601 February 3, 2021 05:17 PM

Sounds like a great variety of colors and sizes. Good luck this growing season!

wildcat62 February 8, 2021 04:47 PM

Nice list. I have yet to work up ours.

greenthumbomaha February 10, 2021 09:24 PM

I was going to start deciding tonight, much more fun to sit here and read. :). . We have a solid ice pack over a foot deep which is making me a little nervous on working the soil come spring.

Lisa

Yak54 February 11, 2021 02:45 PM

I have my list and have all my seeds for the list. Mine is pretty easy cause these days I only grow 8 or 9 varieties.

Odoriko
Volovie Ukho (new for me)
Polish
SOTW
Karkiano (new for me)
Dester (new for me)
Green Giant (new for me)
Lucky Cross
Casey's Pure Yellow (new for me)

I don't sow seed till the 1st week of April and don't get them to the garden till about May 23rd. 5 of these varieties are new to me this season and the rest are "must grow" every year preferred varieties.

Dan

jmsieglaff March 1, 2021 10:05 PM

As one does in the winter, some tweaks and decisions had to be made, but my tomato lists for 2021 are complete.

[b]Garden Beds[/b]
KBX (every year)
Sudduth Brandywine (every year)
Sungold F1 (every year)
Tundra (grew it last year for the first time and wowed by flavor, from Karen O.)
Rosella Cherry (another grew it for the first time last year and very wowed with flavor and production)
Lilian's Yellow Heirloom (new to me)
Black Krim (every year)
Dikovinka (new to me, Carolyn's Last Seed Offer)
Cherokee Purple x Lilian's Yellow Heirloom F1 (new to me)
Not Wisconsin 55 Gold F2 (had an apparent F1 bee cross last year with Wisconsin 55 Gold and an unknown striped tomato--the F1 was a gold saladette with green stripes, tasty, productive, and foliage was rather healthy)
Lindy's Little Krim (new to me, small fruited Black Krim, sport (mutant?) from a seed pack from Baker Creek from Lindy A.)
Lorelei (new to me, red cherry, selection followed by Darrel J. for excellent septoria resistance, from USDA seed bank lot of wild Peru tomatoes)
Cherokee Jumbo (new to me, similar to Cherokee Purple, but larger fruited, a bee cross of unknown tomato and Cherokee Purple, from Darrel J.)
Prairie Star (new to me, PL, large fruited yellow with pink star, from Martin L., from BKX mutant or cross?)
Start S F1 (new to me, early, delicious red slicer from Czech Republic, from Vladimir G.)
Sudduth BW x Black Cherry F3 (new to me, PL pink 4-6oz slicer with excellent flavor, from Jackie K.)

[b]Dwarfs in 5 gal buckets[/b]
Dwarf Eagle Smiley Yellow Cherry (every year--my selected and named tomato, will be released in 2022, part of the Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project--Teensy family)
3 different Teensy Chocolate leads
2 different Teensy Pink leads
Dwarf Mr. Snow (new to me)
Dwarf Emerald Giant (grew it last year and loved it)
Dwarf Grinch (new to me)

jmsieglaff March 1, 2021 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Micro dwarf tomatoes, onions and baby peppers under the lights in the basement.

jmsieglaff April 26, 2021 09:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
We have a return to warmer weather! Peppers are hardened off and now fully in the cold frame. Indeterminate tomatoes were small enough they only needed two days of partial sun before going out to the cold frame too. First spinach harvest is coming, broccoli is growing quickly, carrot sowing topped with pro-mix, worked well last year.

rxkeith April 27, 2021 07:06 AM

everything is looking pretty good.

we are still dealing with snow showers, up here.

keith

KarenO April 27, 2021 10:54 AM

Everything looks super so far! Such a great time of year. I’m very pleased you enjoyed Tundra’s flavour and I wish you an excellent season!
KarenO

jmsieglaff April 27, 2021 12:46 PM

Thanks Karen! I have seeds for some of your others as well (Polaris and Taiga), but space is always limited and I am trying a lot of new to me varieties this year--so I opted for a repeat of Tundra since I was so wowed by its flavor last year.

KarenO April 27, 2021 01:41 PM

That’s great :) I think if you enjoyed Tundra you would definitely enjoy Polaris. Taiga too :) there’s always next year :)
KO

jmsieglaff May 10, 2021 11:46 AM

Tomato and peppers will be planted out this week. All 3 of my Teensy chocolate cherries are opening flowers--only 48 days after sowing! Peppers were evicted from the cold frame about a week or so ago as they out grew it and have been doing the inside/outside dance as we've had a stretch of cold nights, including a heavy frost Saturday morning and possibly more frost tonight. Despite the cold nights, the raised bed soil temps are good and peppers and dwarf tomatoes will go into toasty buckets.

Yak54 May 10, 2021 11:58 AM

Justin--I won't get to put my tomato plants outside into their grow bags for another 10 days or so and pepper plants another 10 days after that. But I will get to pick and eat my first garden lettuce next week. The last couple of nights temps were in the high 30's.

Dan

Koala Doug May 10, 2021 01:01 PM

[B][SIZE=5][FONT=Garamond]I'm roughly targeting the next 7-14 days for my final transplant (into 10 gallon fabric containers)... weather depending, of course. :wait:[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]