Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Preserving Your Harvest (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   pickling peppers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48292)

encore October 19, 2018 11:10 AM

pickling peppers

got a question for anyone who might know-- i pickled some pepperoncini a couple of months ago and they were great! tasted like store bought ones. they were done as a refrigerator type pepper. ever since then , using the same recipe, the seeds inside turn dark and peppers don't taste too good. anyone know why this is happening? the last 3 batches have done this now.---tom

Goodloe October 19, 2018 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=encore;717390]got a question for anyone who might know-- i pickled some pepperoncini a couple of months ago and they were great! tasted like store bought ones. they were done as a refrigerator type pepper. ever since then , using the same recipe, the seeds inside turn dark and peppers don't taste too good. anyone know why this is happening? the last 3 batches have done this now.---tom[/QUOTE]

Walk me through your pickling process, please.

pmcgrady October 20, 2018 09:03 AM

I cold pack peppers in sterilized jars with 2 anchovies, 2 cloves garlic, pinch of alum and fill with hot brine/pickling liquid ( 2qts water, 2qts cider vinegar, 1/4 cup salt and 2 cups sugar. Leave headspace 1/2 in. Screw on lids and water bath for 10 minutes.

brownrexx October 20, 2018 09:26 AM

I don't know much about this but I remember reading something about pickles darkening. I think that maybe you need to use pickling salt because it does not contain Iodine which can make pickles darken.

I am not positive about this but I think that's what it said. I know that when I make sauerkraut I always use pickling salt and that it will not ferment properly with table salt.

Worth1 October 20, 2018 09:54 AM

Where's this rascal at so he can tell us in detail what he did? :lol:

Worth

encore October 20, 2018 09:56 AM

for 1 pint-
1-cup vinegar
1/3 cup water
@ 20 grams salt (coarse kosher) also tried hymilayan pink and canning salt
splash of lemon juice

boil salt,water,vinegar, wash and put slits in peppers,pack in jars, add splash of lemon juice to jar, pour hot brineover peppers, let sit on counter for 1 hour then refrigerate.

first jar came out good, the rest the peppers looked fine just the seeds all turned dark brown inside and peppers didn't taste very good.---tom

encore October 20, 2018 09:57 AM

was still typing worth! lol 1 finger at a time. lol -tom

imp October 20, 2018 09:58 AM

posted in error

Worth1 October 20, 2018 10:12 AM

Personally wouldn't use anything but canning salt but I have no idea why one time they would be good and another they wouldn't.
Stopped using vinegar in pickled peppers some time ago when I took up fermenting again.
I have so many hot things I have made now it is beyond nuts.
Worth

Salsacharley October 20, 2018 10:37 AM

Are you sure your pepper seeds weren't dark to begin with? Some pepper guts start going dark when the pod still looks good.

encore October 20, 2018 01:26 PM

yup sure they were'nt , because one jar i sliced them all in half, and did it that way, pretty sure i didn't get lucky and miss the brown ones, or did i? lol all the ones left whole had brown seeds.----tom

pmcgrady October 20, 2018 05:51 PM

[QUOTE=encore;717484]for 1 pint-
1-cup vinegar
1/3 cup water
@ 20 grams salt (coarse kosher) also tried hymilayan pink and canning salt
splash of lemon juice

boil salt,water,vinegar, wash and put slits in peppers,pack in jars, add splash of lemon juice to jar, pour hot brineover peppers, let sit on counter for 1 hour then refrigerate.

first jar came out good, the rest the peppers looked fine just the seeds all turned dark brown inside and peppers didn't taste very good.---tom[/QUOTE]

Most of the recipes I use call for equal amounts of water and vinegar

Worth1 October 20, 2018 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;717537]Most of the recipes I use call for equal amounts of water and vinegar[/QUOTE]

Same here.
I got mixed up one time and used 90 grain. :shock::lol:
Worth.

encore October 21, 2018 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=pmcgrady;717537]Most of the recipes I use call for equal amounts of water and vinegar[/QUOTE]

is that for refrigerator type or prossessing type?

encore October 21, 2018 11:08 AM

have another refrigerator recipe for sliced banana peppers and it calls for 4-cups water and 2-cups vinegar. lol---tom