Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   2016 Tomato and Garden Pictures (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39152)

jmsieglaff December 25, 2015 11:10 AM

2016 Tomato and Garden Pictures

1 Attachment(s)
I'll share some garden pictures through the year here. We ordered some Pinocchio Orange micro dwarf seeds to grow inside by the patio door ([url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39088[/url]). They were sown last Saturday and have emerged this morning! I'll share progress here.

RobinB December 26, 2015 01:03 AM

Pinocchio Orange sounds really interesting. I'll be looking forward to your thoughts and notes!

jmsieglaff December 26, 2015 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sure is nice growing some tomatoes in the middle of winter. Helps take the edge of the next season itch!

AlittleSalt December 26, 2015 01:31 PM

I'm in the process of trying Patio inside too. I asked my wife to pick through tomato varieties yesterday and Patio is one she wants to try out - so I'll be planting some seeds later today.

What size container/pot are you going to use to grow them in?

jmsieglaff December 26, 2015 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;521001]
What size container/pot are you going to use to grow them in?[/QUOTE]

I haven't decided for sure. Since these micro dwarves will stay under 12" in height, I'm thinking a pretty small container will be OK. I'm leaning toward a rectangular planter that holds maybe 1-1.5 gallons of mix. We will head to the garden store sometime this week and get something that looks half way decent since it will sit by the patio door in the kitchen.

Labradors2 December 26, 2015 02:42 PM

Oh goody! I'm planning to grow Orange Pinocchio next winter, so will be following your progress reports with interest :cute:. I already have my seeds (from Bunny Hop).

Linda

MissS December 26, 2015 06:00 PM

How fun! Lucky you to be having fresh tomatoes in winter. I sure wish I had a sunny window to do this.

Thanks for sharing this.

jmsieglaff December 29, 2015 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well this is what I'm going with for growing container. It should hold about 16 quarts of growing mix (just over 0.5 cubic feet, 27"x6"x6" inner dimensions). I think it will be enough but never have grown a micro dwarf I can't say for sure, we'll see.

jmsieglaff January 1, 2016 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First true leaves are starting to open today! They seem happy by the patio door despite a lot of cloudy weather.

jmsieglaff January 3, 2016 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Woo hoo, look like tomatoes! Looking forward to that tomato plant smell too!

jmsieglaff January 7, 2016 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pinocchio Orange tomatoes are slowly coming along. Growing some tomato plants indoors sure takes the edge off the 2016 season!

Worth1 January 7, 2016 11:37 PM

They look nice if they get food in a week they will jump out of their skins.:yes:

Worth

barefootgardener January 8, 2016 12:25 AM

Looking good..I wish the tv screen had a scratch n sniff for this. I love to rub my fingers between the tomato leaves to get a whiff of that lovely scent..Especially after a long winter.

Ginny

greenthumbomaha January 8, 2016 01:22 AM

I'm with ginny, seeing if the new arrival is a PL or RL is my favorite time of the year knowing everything will be green soon. Looks super healthy. What is your growing medium?

- Lisa

jmsieglaff January 8, 2016 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;523883]They look nice if they get food in a week they will jump out of their skins.:yes:

Worth[/QUOTE]

I hope they don't jump too much, they're supposed to be about 10" micro dwarves. I started feeding them once a week this past Monday. They are only getting Wisconsin early January daylight too which isn't optimal, but I want to see how they do right next to the patio door.

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;523896]I'm with ginny, seeing if the new arrival is a PL or RL is my favorite time of the year knowing everything will be green soon. Looks super healthy. What is your growing medium?

- Lisa[/QUOTE]

The bottom 3/4 is ProMix seed starting mix with a small amount of nutrients and the top 1/4 is Jiffy seed starting mix which is quite fine, good for seed emergence and doesn't crust over.