Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Another insecticidal soap question (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=5181)

NCTIM May 14, 2007 11:21 PM

Another insecticidal soap question

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Aphids are beginning to show up in number now and they’ve got to go. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]My question is by what means do you apply your soap. Do you use a spray bottle, pump sprayer or a hose end sprayer? [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I have about sixty plants and a spot check tells me that some have aphids while others don’t. Do you take the time to find the plants with aphids and then try to apply the soap directly on the bugs or do you just spray the whole plant? [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]My thought is to use a hose end sprayer and give them all a thorough soaking ( use enough water and the underside can’t help but get wet) and then rinse the soap off within a half hour.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I’ve read a lot of recipes for homemade soap spray but I don’t recall seeing one for use with a hose end sprayer. I wonder how a bar of ivory soap in the "jar"and a setting of 3oz per gal would do?[/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Thanks,[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Tim[/SIZE][/FONT]

Suze May 15, 2007 12:22 AM

[quote=NCTIM;58204][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Aphids are beginning to show up in number now and they’ve got to go. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]My question is by what means do you apply your soap. Do you use a spray bottle, pump sprayer or a hose end sprayer?[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I use a hose end sprayer (ortho dial and spray).

[quote=NCTIM;58204][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I have about sixty plants and a spot check tells me that some have aphids while others don’t. Do you take the time to find the plants with aphids and then try to apply the soap directly on the bugs or do you just spray the whole plant?[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

I spray all the plants.

[quote=NCTIM;58204][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]My thought is to use a hose end sprayer and give them all a thorough soaking ( use enough water and the underside can’t help but get wet) and then rinse the soap off within a half hour.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

That's pretty much what I do, including the rinsing off. If I lived in a cooler climate, I probably wouldn't bother to rinse off.

[quote=NCTIM;58204][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I’ve read a lot of recipes for homemade soap spray but I don’t recall seeing one for use with a hose end sprayer. I wonder how a bar of ivory soap in the "jar"and a setting of 3oz per gal would do?[/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

Beats me. ;) I'd suggest using a liquid soap instead so you can know how much you're applying. Also, Ivory isn't a good choice because of how it is made (do a search on this subforum on [COLOR=DarkGreen]soap[/COLOR] to find out more about good ones to use and why).

One half tablespoon to one tablespoon liquid soap per gallon is a general guideline.