Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Cheap Bix Box Mulch on Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47596)

greenthumbomaha May 30, 2018 09:28 PM

Cheap Bix Box Mulch on Containers

I bought a bag each of cheap $2 sale mulch and $4 pine bark (not nugget) at Lowes today. I wanted to retain moisture in some newly planted container peppers and tomatoes. I was too lazy to get more straw. It's been near 100 degrees all week.

I decided at the last minute to use the cheap dyed brown mulch on top of the 2-3 gal container pepper plants, instead saving the pine bark for a future project. There are still a few tomato plants needing mulch.

Should I run and scrape it off and replace with the pine? It is too hot for me to go watering in the heat of the day. I don't want to ruin this hard work over two dollars!

- Lisa

Nan_PA_6b May 30, 2018 10:22 PM

Test how good of a job the brown mulch is doing. Go out and scrape it away in one spot to see how well the moisture is holding. BTW, thicker mulch would be better.

Nan

mobiledynamics May 30, 2018 10:36 PM

Personally I would use the bark. At least you know what is is......

Just short of the colored wood, who knows what and where the cheap mulch wood derived from......

oakley May 31, 2018 04:27 PM

I was just wondering what a good container mulch is recommended. Last season, first for me in some containers,
I just topped with some fresh clean soil and coir as a mulch mid-season.

I've never cared for the tinted mulch since it is most likely a mix and color is added to even out the blend maybe?
Probably it is popular just for an even color topping bedding plants.

mobiledynamics May 31, 2018 04:50 PM

Oakley. It's popular cause it'a ~cheap~.....and some people like red mulch ;-)
The problem with that is that it's all sorts of wood from unknown places , aka, pt wood from ZYX, etc, etc. It's dyed so the smorgasboard of wood chips look all the same/uniform.

friedgreen51 May 31, 2018 04:55 PM

Container Mulch

I have had good luck with a couple of different products.

(1) Perma-Till natural, porous, expanded slate particles. Also great to keep out voles and as a soil aerating product.

(2) Cypress mulch. 100% cyprus mulch, not a blend

greenthumbomaha May 31, 2018 06:43 PM

I watered heavily and the mulched pots are shrugging off the heat. Not so much for the pots not mulched.

When the shade comes around tonight, I'm going to scoop off the decorative (cheaper) mulch and replace with the pine mulch as originally planned. I hope the one day doesn't cause any detriment long term.

Friedgreen51, I used cypress in my regular garden bed years ago. I read it doesn't attract termites.

- Lisa