Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing for Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Could hardly sleep I'm so geeked! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10098)

Dukerdawg January 14, 2009 10:01 AM

Could hardly sleep I'm so geeked!

Got an email back from a couple who own a farm 30 miles from me. I found them on the internet. They rent garden areas as well as chicken coops and you can buy the chickens and supplies from them. They take care of the birds and you just come out and pick up the eggs and visit 'your birds' anytime you want.

That isn't the most exciting part though. I mentioned I had over a hundred variety of heirloom seeds and they are interested in me sharing whatever I would like and starting some as early as Feb.5 in their greenhouses. They usually grow 300 plants for their farmstand and have 3-4 heirloom varieties. I hope to help expand that amount, get my hands dirty and work in their greenhouses growing some early plants. No talk of money but they said they would work something out, whether it be a trade of some land for the help and seeds or whatever. I'm not in it this year for the money. The experience and helping a small farm expand their heirloom section would be payment enough.

What do y'all think? I figure I have about 4,000 tomato seeds and if I grow 100 a year at my house and continually accumulate more why not get these buggers going and into production?

Duane

Wi-sunflower January 14, 2009 10:08 AM

A trade of time and seeds for land where you would have room to do whatever you want sounds like it could be a good thing for both of you. Especially if you are short of space where you grow now.

Just take into account that the 30 miles each way will possibly limit how often you go there. If you can't get there at least twice / week during the summer, any plants you put there will suffer.

GIZZARDFARM January 14, 2009 10:09 AM

Sounds like a win-win deal to me. I start 2 or 3 hundred plants in my shed aka. mancave, but also have a friend with commercial green houses who i provide heirloom seeds to and he starts them and we split the plants.....

JCBigBlue January 14, 2009 10:14 AM

Sounds awesome Duane! I'd be fired up too.

Nightshade January 14, 2009 11:37 AM

That sounds like a good deal all the way around, Duane. AND you have the security of having experienced growers backing you up in case you can't get there for a week or so!

Jan

salix January 14, 2009 11:42 AM

Duane, sounds like a wonderful opportunity - room to grow out new ones and fresh eggs too! If the farm owners are willing to keep an eye on things (watering etc.), one trip a week can work, maybe twice if necessary at planting time and again at harvest time. Two friends and I share a garden 30 miles away and it works out very well, sometimes we 'carpool' to save on fuel costs, and if work schedules do not permit then we go separately on different days and that also works well to keep a handle on things. I sometimes feel a bit guilty over the extra driving (carbon footprint), but it is a lot less than from where the supermarkets truck it in. Also, it is like a mini-vacation...

Gobig_or_Gohome_toms January 14, 2009 11:51 AM

Wow that is exciting I am dreaming of the day I have more land and have ofton wonderd if I could get a small space at a remote location. I have a few ideas on where I might be able to but getting water to the locations might be a problem. Good Luck!!

carolyn137 January 14, 2009 11:55 AM

So Duane, do you need seeds for any more varieties?:lol:

Sounds great to me as well.

feldon30 January 14, 2009 12:42 PM

Sounds awesome to me. The 30 miles is a bit rough, but the chance to grow and try hundreds of varieties is really an incredible thing. I would make a big deal about automatic watering timers and stuff. Hopefully gas holds at $1.50.

Penny January 14, 2009 01:22 PM

Sounds like a great deal!!

rxkeith January 14, 2009 02:43 PM

hey duane,

that is exciting news. it gives you an opportunity to do some farming, get some experience growing on a larger scale, selling plants or tomatos without the cost of having to buy land out right. if it works out, good deal. if it doesn't work out you can just walk away. buys you some time to convince your wife to buy that future farm of your dreams. ;) where abouts is it?

keith

Dukerdawg January 14, 2009 04:25 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. First of all, 30 miles is farther than I would like, but it is all highway and mapquest says 28 minutes from here so that isn't all that bad.

Carolyn, thanks very much for the offer of more varieties. I'll throw your name out casually in the conversation and bring your book along so my credibility might be raised a few notches! I have to take inventory of what I have and plan to do that asap, so I will definitely let you know about any needs. You are kind to offer.

Keith, the farm is in Brighton right next to Kensington Metro Park. I hope to go out and see the place and talk directly with the owners in the next couple of weeks. They seem like really nice people. Their website says something to the effect of 'bring your kids out, and even the dog and come visit. The least you could do is come out and pull a few weeds!'. Their farmstand got started by their kids starting a lemonade stand and it blossomed from there.

Duane

Barbee January 14, 2009 04:51 PM

I think it sounds great Duane. It takes me 15 mins to get to the grocery store, so 30 mins to have access to a greenhouse would be great. And you'll get your hands dirty that much sooner! Now you'll have to plan a NEW, BIGGER grow list LoLoL

newatthiskat January 14, 2009 08:43 PM

What a great deal! I would be so excited if I was you :) Bet you are just walkin on air about now
Kat

maryinoregon May 25, 2009 09:31 PM

So, how are things going?