Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   My 2017 season - gardening in a tiny space (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43263)

Merediana December 9, 2016 04:35 PM

My 2017 season - gardening in a tiny space

Yes it's not 2017 yet but I'm in the middle of planning my 2017 garden:D

My plans for 2017 are:

In containers:

4 peppers:
- Ancho poblano
- PI 439410
- Trinidad Scorpion Green (I hope it is really as mild as promised)
- Ferenec Tender

Seeds are all ordered and should arrive next week. I do start them in december and keep them under artificial lights, in march I'll move them to the window and in may they'll go outside.

11 tomatoes:
-Wherokowhai
-Banksia Queen
-Uluru Ochre
-Boronia
-Summertime Green
-Summertime Gold
-Auria
-Primrose Gage
-Lucid Gem
-Sungold F1
-Black Cherry

I hope that I can wait till march with sowing them but I'll probably start them too early again:twisted: I'll only keep one healthy plant per variety AND these are all varieties I haven't tried yet.

Groundcherries, 1-2 varieties I haven't really decided yet. I'll start them along with the tomatoes but I want to keep several plants because I love them as a sweet treat:love:

And 2 eggplant varieties, I've ordered Mitoyo and Little Fingers, I really wanted to try a tiny variety.

In ground plants:

- sweetcorn
I'll try one of the new non hybrid extra sweet varieties, last year I had one hybrid extra sweet variety that did great and a really good looking but not so tasty heirloom with red ears.

- beans

- zucchini (1 plant)

- melon (extra early varieties are my only option)

- white beets

- flower sprouts (2 plants just to try it)

- russian kale (same here, just a few plants)

- carrots

I don't know how to fit all this in 6 squaremeters but somehow I'll make it happen. Or I'll buy more containers.

Part of my 2016 tomato harvest:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LHxrwd6l.jpg[/img]

Merediana December 11, 2016 04:29 PM

I just counted... I do have 3 open spots in containers:love:

On one hand 3 plants less wouldn't be a bad thing on the other hand this offers me new possibilities:lol: Maybe grow a variety from last year again?
I'm looking at Candy Sweet Icicle (reliable all over the season), Kellogg's Breakfast (first fruits were amazing but after the weather changed they were not good at all) or maybe my always reliable Kremser Perle? Or more new tomtao varieties? I thought about trying Sunrise Bumblebee, Blush or Pink Tiger or maybe a variety from Tom Wagner?

Urgh, I hate to chose:evil:

Jimbotomateo December 11, 2016 04:35 PM

Busy bee

[QUOTE=Merediana;604004]I just counted... I do have 3 open spots in containers:love:

On one hand 3 plants less wouldn't be a bad thing on the other hand this offers me new possibilities:lol: Maybe grow a variety from last year again?
I'm looking at Candy Sweet Icicle (reliable all over the season), Kellogg's Breakfast (first fruits were amazing but after the weather changed they were not good at all) or maybe my always reliable Kremser Perle? Or more new tomtao varieties? I thought about trying Sunrise Bumblebee, Blush or Pink Tiger or maybe a variety from Tom Wagner?

Urgh, I hate to chose:evil:[/QUOTE]

I vote for more plants:lol:Jimbo.

Starlight December 12, 2016 04:03 PM

I agree too. Go for more plants. Blush is awesome. Tons of fruit, and I didn't have one bit of problems with the plant itself and it kept on producing until we had a hard, hard frost. Sunrise Bumblebee is fantastic too. Hard to stop eating them once you start. : )

Merediana December 13, 2016 01:10 PM

I knew you'd recommend more plants:yes:

Beside an Artisan variety I just found out that Wild Boar Farms has 2 new very exciting varieties, Sweet Cream, which is related to Candy Sweet Icicle, that did really great in my setup last year and Afternoon Delight which looks simply stunning.

Jimbotomateo December 13, 2016 03:54 PM

Mater madness

[QUOTE=Merediana;604334]I knew you'd recommend more plants:yes:

Beside an Artisan variety I just found out that Wild Boar Farms has 2 new very exciting varieties, Sweet Cream, which is related to Candy Sweet Icicle, that did really great in my setup last year and Afternoon Delight which looks simply stunning.[/QUOTE]

Those sound yummy Merediana, so when are you ordering more containers? :lol::lol::lol:

Merediana December 16, 2016 01:08 PM

I just buy cheap 20l buckets and drill holes in them:D

My pepper seeds arrived today:D I will start them tomorrow...
Still waiting for some other seeds. I really prefer ordering within Europe, it's much quicker but especially with new varieties it's usually not possible. But I do already have a buch of seeds from Tatiana that I ordered earlier this year.
From Artisan Seeds, the small varieties like Blush, the Bumble Bees and Tiger Series are easy to get here, but I haven't seen one of their larger varieties yet.

Merediana January 4, 2017 01:00 PM

My first seedlings for the season:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/QnyU9kxl.jpg[/img]

3 pepper varieties, I'm still waiting for the 4. variety, somehow it doesn't want to show up even though I've added a few more seeds. I started them in plastic shot glasses and just moved them into this tray today. I've 4 seedlings from two varieties and just one from the third, maybe I'll start a few more seeds of that one too just in case...

It has now been a whole month since I've ordered seeds from the US (Baker Creek) and they still haven't arrived:cry: So most likely they won't arrive anymore...
That's why I sadly hate ordering from the US and I still need to order from Wild Boar Farms. Usually everything goes well but I'm always afraid that my order gets lost....

Merediana March 2, 2017 04:54 AM

Aaaaand my plans already failed:cry:

I bought the most expensive soil I could find for my pepper seedlings because I wanted to try if it makes a difference. The result was, that my perfectly green seedlings stopped growing and turned yellow. I really can't imagine any other reason than the soil. And because university was extremly stressful at that time, I couldn't be bothered with a second try - so no peppers for this year.

2 days ago I did sow my tomatoes and eggplants - at least most of them because I did mess up my seed order:?: I just ordered Sungold F1 and Black Cherry plus 2 groundcherry varieties because I simply forgot the cherries, hopefully they'll arrive soon.

Today I put some carrot, radish, broccoletto and pak choi seeds in the ground, not sure if this will work or if it is to early - we'll see:)

MissS March 2, 2017 10:06 AM

Your pepper plants were off to a great start! So sad to hear of such early troubles... I would be taking that soil back and giving them the 'what for'. I do hope that you can find some nice plants at the plant shops to get you through the season and enjoy growing.

Good luck with the studies!

Merediana March 3, 2017 04:40 AM

Thanks:cute: Yes, they were pretty healthy seedlings in the beginning:( The company basically answered their soil isn't meant for peppers. The packaging lables it as a container potting mix for all kinds of plants, including vegetables:evil: It's a terra preta replica, actually looked quite good but obviously something was wrong with it.
Luckily I'm not too crazy about peppers... If this happened to my tomatoes, this would be different. Can't wait for the first seedlings to show up:D

ginger2778 March 3, 2017 06:57 AM

Sometimes my baby peppers get yellow. Most of the time it us over watering but sometimes it's mites. Usually transplanting if the stem is still green makes them come back. You might want to give the leaves a thorough permethrin spray in case it's mites, which are microscopic and unable to be seen with the naked eye.

Merediana March 3, 2017 07:54 AM

I already threw them out, my first thought was some root eating pests and I checked for that but couldn't find any. I don't have any indoor plants, so usually I don't get pests on my seedlings - unless they come with the soil.
The plants were really thriving and just stoped growing after transplanting them and went yellow. I'm very careful with water and peppers, because during my frist season I learnt it the hard way, that they don't like wet feet.

Merediana March 4, 2017 02:01 PM

The first 2 varieties are showing up:love: And I haven't even used a heating mat this season because mine tends to get too hot.
The winners are Primrose Gage and Afternoon Delight:)

Merediana March 5, 2017 02:54 PM

Wow, I've been lucky with the seed quality this year - ALL tomatoes showed up today:D Not every single seed yet, but every variety showed up just after 5 days.