Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   SSE 2018 Annual Yearbook (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46717)

carolyn137 February 16, 2018 12:20 PM

SSE 2018 Annual Yearbook

I'd be interested to know how many of you have received the 2018 one and how you would compare it to the 2017 one.

I just got mine a few days ago and checked out a few things,and know what I think, but would prefer to hear from others first.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Andrey_BY February 17, 2018 10:15 AM

How many members and total varieties are in it?
I'm missing this year...

nctomatoman February 17, 2018 11:41 AM

My short take - strewn with issues and errors, and the decline continues - less listed members than in 1985. Color issues, spelling issues, category issues - pretty much a mess.

carolyn137 February 17, 2018 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=nctomatoman;683815]My short take - strewn with issues and errors, and the decline continues - less listed members than in 1985. Color issues, spelling issues, category issues - pretty much a mess.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely Craig and Andrey I'll give you the data you asked for when I have a chance to do so which is not right now..

Carolyn

neil February 19, 2018 09:57 PM

You hit the nail on the head Craig,what a mess!!! My new listings only have the variety name listed!Why do they have this unsorted tomato seed varieties when we list them by color? Bill Minkey's new varieties are not even listed!No wonder why we are loosing members!

nctomatoman February 19, 2018 10:00 PM

Hello, Neil - it is so good to see you (we should chat some time soon).

Worst yearbook I've ever seen - there has to be resource issues/staffing problems and more going on there. Only a chaotic situation would bring something like that to print and send.

neil February 19, 2018 10:14 PM

I talked to Bill Musser at SSE a few days ago about these problems! He was to get my variety information listed on the online version and get back to me.I havn't heard back from him yet!I don't have much luck with the online version,its more confusing to me than the printed version,if that's possible.I don't know if he got my listings corrected or not! Would love to talk to you anytime you want!

nctomatoman February 19, 2018 10:28 PM

Let's aim for next week, Neil - gotta get through a few things this week and during the weekend. Hoping all is well with you!

Andrey_BY February 19, 2018 11:53 PM

And this is their second year of mistakes in a row. Last year they put all my listings from all years in 2017 Yearbook even unavailable.
I believe after 2018 Annual Yearbook this should costs somebody a coordinator position.
I really miss Kent and Joanne happy times...

Are there any news about Kent's present activities after his letter and Ceres Trust?

neil February 20, 2018 12:51 AM

Andrey you are so right the SSE has went downhill since Kent got booted out and then Joanne retired,what a mess!!!

Soilsniffer February 20, 2018 09:35 AM

>> the SSE has went downhill since Kent got booted

Is this the consensus opinion?

I didn't like the direction SSE went after Kent left; I stopped paying my dues after all that drama. 2008, I believe, was when I separated from SSE.

PaulF February 20, 2018 10:32 AM

When SSE became a political platform rather than having a seed saving and sharing emphasis my association with them ceased. The new direction seems to have started after Kent was forced out and the activists and lawyers took over. It has been many years since I have taken part. Such a sad story and turn of events.

PotGarden February 20, 2018 06:12 PM

Can someone post a link about what people are referring to with SSE?
I have been a member in the past and was just getting ready to rejoin, but this doesn't sound good...thanks!

nctomatoman February 20, 2018 06:44 PM

It's really not about links. Leaving aside any "soap opera" type things that have gone on over the many years it's been around (43 years! - it is inevitable that organizations go through all sorts of upheavals and changes), the real point of this thread is the content of the annual yearbook.

I haven't looked at the on line listing to see if that is equally messy, but I have every single yearbook - and am sad to say this is the most error-filled one yet. No idea of why, but I do know there seem to be nearly constant changes throughout the organization - and that can't help.

As i said above, the biggest surprise was when I saw that there are only about 350 listed members - offering more than 15000 varieties - then again, the unique variety list looks vast, but after seeing double listings and mislistings all over the place, who knows for real how many unique varieties are represented.

I've always seen SSE as a superb cause - even in its current flawed state, it has to be acknowledged for what it has accomplished. I hope that they can sort out where the issues are and point things in the right direction again. My interactions with them have pretty much dropped off to very, very little.

JosephineRose February 20, 2018 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=neil;684448]I talked to Bill Musser at SSE a few days ago about these problems! He was to get my variety information listed on the online version and get back to me.I havn't heard back from him yet!I don't have much luck with the online version,its more confusing to me than the printed version,if that's possible.I don't know if he got my listings corrected or not! Would love to talk to you anytime you want![/QUOTE]

I have had the same problem with the online version. I chose not to renew, which I felt some guilt about. But it was more of a donation than a useable membership because I found the website to not be very user friendly, with varieties that seemed commonly available elsewhere.

The catalogue seemed confusing and redundant as well. It all made me very sad.