Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Brandywine's i can finally join the group (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45076)

charley May 23, 2017 06:16 PM

Brandywine's i can finally join the group

1 Attachment(s)
I finally found a Brandywine that does well for me in this hot texas sun.Cowlicks.and i love it its now my favorite big tomatoes and big on flavor. And to think i almost gave up on growing them.i tryed red ,otv pink and a few more but to no avail .im just happy someone on hear talked me into trying cowlicks i dont remember who it was but thank you

MissS May 23, 2017 09:51 PM

I'm so glad to hear that it worked out for you Charley. It is a great tomato for sure and not easy to get in your neck of the woods.

Congrats!

AlittleSalt May 23, 2017 10:41 PM

Congrats Charley :)

Spartanburg123 May 23, 2017 11:24 PM

It was probably Camochef, who is also in love with Cowlicks and proliferated this great tomato. I have yet to grow it, but I will soon.

dmforcier May 23, 2017 11:25 PM

BLT! BLT! BLT!

Barb_FL May 24, 2017 12:10 AM

That's great news! Good Job.

I gave up on growing Brandywines several years ago - hot and humid climate. Big Beautiful plants with no fruit.

The Brandywine mixes (Big Brandy, BrandyBoy) that I've grown are really productive.

wildcat62 May 24, 2017 06:29 AM

They sure look good. Going to have to try those.

b54red May 24, 2017 11:41 AM

If you can grow Cowlick's you should have luck with Sudduth's early in the season. I think Cowlick's handles the heat better but early in the season they are almost identical in their production and health. I have found that if I am planting a Brandywine type after March it will be Cowlick's because it is more likely to set a decent amount of fruit when it gets really hot

Bill

Father'sDaughter May 24, 2017 11:41 AM

Congratulations! I think I have seeds from almost every Brandywine thanks to the MMMM, but have yet to grow one to see what all the fuss is about. Closest I've come is Tastywine Dwarf and if that's any indication of what a Brandywine tastes like, I may just have to start putting them on future grow lists.

I hope they continue to do well for you!

Gardeneer May 24, 2017 09:40 PM

I didn't know BW has that kind of color , w/green shoulder ? ,...
I thought they are all pink (unless stated otherwise).
But who cares about the skin deep color as long as it tastes good.
Enjoy , Charley !

Father'sDaughter May 25, 2017 12:12 AM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;642152]I didn't know BW has that kind of color , w/green shoulder ? ,...
I thought they are all pink (unless stated otherwise).
But who cares about the skin deep color as long as it tastes good.
Enjoy , Charley ![/QUOTE]

Guessing it was picked early and needs to finish ripening. I do that with all my tomatoes so that the fat and lazy squirrels don't use my tomato plants as an all you can eat buffet--taking a few bites of one, deciding they don't like it and tossing it aside, then going back to try something different.

charley May 25, 2017 08:01 AM

Yep i pick early its not worth the gamble to let them vine ripe between the birds bugs and recent rains .they are to good to take a chance. And yes sudduths is on my list for this fall i hear they are alot alike so thats next up.i think starting my seeds early and the variety of cowlicks is a winner in the south.Fatherdaughter give it a shot ive grown alot of different tomatoes and this has the best tast size and production of them all and healty.i grew it right next to heshpole and heshpole blew up with blight and it spread to all surrounding plant except cowlicks it never got one yellow leaf