Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   How Not To Save Seeds (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37244)

AlittleSalt June 24, 2015 05:06 PM

How Not To Save Seeds

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I would try to dry seeds on a coffee filter...bad idea. They are so stuck to the coffee filter. It's like I glued them down. My experiment didn't work.

bluee19 June 24, 2015 05:09 PM

can u to plant the coffee filter with seeds in the dirt?

dipchip2000 June 24, 2015 05:10 PM

Gently use a sharp knife to release seeds from filter. I have done this many times.

ron

AlittleSalt June 24, 2015 05:33 PM

My wife has long fingernails. She was able to get them off the filter. I have 200 or so drying on a foam plate.

digsdirt June 24, 2015 05:43 PM

Have dried thousands of seeds using coffee filters over the years with no problems. Much better than paper towels as one often sees recommended. When well dried the seeds normally just fall right off the filter. Perhaps all the gel was not removed by fermenting them first and/or rinsing well?

Dav

kayrobbins June 24, 2015 05:46 PM

If you let them dry for an hour or two and then go back and rub them between your fingers they will not stick to the filter. I have a small fan that I use during that time to help dry them.

Salsacharley June 24, 2015 05:54 PM

I use coffee filters to dry the seeds after they have been well cleaned. Yours look like they still have some gel on them that would act like glue.

RobinB June 24, 2015 06:28 PM

My last step is to put the fermented seeds in a fine mesh strainer and gently rub them around a bit. This gets that last little bit if gel/gunk off. I've used coffee filters, paper plates, etc. I think they dry faster if it's paper something.

AlittleSalt June 24, 2015 06:30 PM

They looked clean, but apparently were not. I must not have rinsed them well enough. I just checked the other seeds I have drying and they are all okay.

pauldavid June 24, 2015 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;483643]I thought I would try to dry seeds on a coffee filter...bad idea. They are so stuck to the coffee filter. It's like I glued them down. My experiment didn't work.[/QUOTE]

It might make some good coffee though!:lol: Just joking!
I am having good luck on paper plates.

Lee June 24, 2015 08:27 PM

4" clear plastic plates work best for me.

Lee

Cheryl2017 June 24, 2015 09:00 PM

I love coffee filters best for drying sees.

Cole_Robbie June 24, 2015 09:31 PM

I use wax paper.

Worth1 June 24, 2015 11:23 PM

I use my fine Wedgwood China to dry mine on.
My seeds get nothing but the best.
Worth

AlittleSalt June 24, 2015 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;483781]I use my fine Wedgwood China to dry mine on.
My seeds get nothing but the best.
Worth[/QUOTE]

Our tomato seeds get the best of Walmart quality. Only foam plates of flowery designs grace the presence of our saved tomato seeds. Wedgwood china...isn't that the fancy foam plates made in china? Wedgewood does not sound like a good thing.
:))