Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing for Market (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Help me pick a black... please. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=13348)

pacmanJohn February 4, 2010 06:48 PM

Help me pick a black... please.

I have the seeds of four blacks and want to grow to sell to a local chef. I want a good taster (obviously) which I assume all fit the bill, but I'm looking for production specifically in pounds per plant. The only one I've grown is JD's which is a great tomato and moderately productive but I wasnt' fond of the 'grazing' around the shoulders but not sure I can get away from that. I know that Cherokee Purple looks different while the other three kind of look the same to me (in pictures at least).

Black Krim
Paul Robeson
JD's C-Tex
Cherokee Purple

I'm not at all opposed to growing more than one of these but wanted to make sure I'm maximizing my space. I've showed the chef pictures of each and he is fine with any. Thanks for your time.

Wi-sunflower February 4, 2010 07:01 PM

Personally I would say Paul Robeson. It's done pretty well for us in 2 less than good summers.

My experiences with Black Krim have been less than spectactular. BK seems more prone than many to "good" years and "off" years. And the off years seem more common than the good years. At least for me.

Carol

brokenbar February 4, 2010 07:12 PM

[quote=pacmanJohn;156230]I have the seeds of four blacks and want to grow to sell to a local chef. I want a good taster (obviously) which I assume all fit the bill, but I'm looking for production specifically in pounds per plant. The only one I've grown is JD's which is a great tomato and moderately productive but I wasnt' fond of the 'grazing' around the shoulders but not sure I can get away from that. I know that Cherokee Purple looks different while the other three kind of look the same to me (in pictures at least).

Black Krim
Paul Robeson
JD's C-Tex
Cherokee Purple

I'm not at all opposed to growing more than one of these but wanted to make sure I'm maximizing my space. I've showed the chef pictures of each and he is fine with any. Thanks for your time.[/quote]
The Chef's have been "reading again"! They are just crazy for the Blacks...dried as well. I personally don't "get it". Make sure you charge them extra for those "special" black tomatoes...You know...the ones with the "Smokey-Salty-Earthy-" yadee, yadee, yadee taste...:dizzy:

mtbigfish February 4, 2010 07:12 PM

Pacman
again it is where you live and weather - Black Krim always has been good producer here in Calif have not grown JD's C-Tex will this year the others are about the same but CP is larger toms for me - alway done excellent with carbon all around
Dennis

pacmanJohn February 4, 2010 07:18 PM

Thanks for the input. Very much appreciated.

icelord February 4, 2010 07:24 PM

Black Tomatoes

If you can find them, Spudatula and Flathead monster would be the ones, if not Black from Tula is a superb choice I have grown lots of blacks and this is one of the best.

Icelord

mtbigfish February 4, 2010 07:38 PM

yeah to icelord but finding is the problem except Black from Tula - is nice big moderate producer - seem to always forget that one
Dennis

icelord February 4, 2010 08:55 PM

Blacks

[quote=mtbigfish;156245]yeah to icelord but finding is the problem except Black from Tula - is nice big moderate producer - seem to always forget that one
Dennis[/quote]

Hey Dennis! Thanks, you know what I mean as for the problem of finding these beauties, There is hope!! There is a very talented guy that sells plants and posts here, Hope I am not out of bounds, But Fusion Power may be able to hook you and all up with the ultimate Black Plants!!

Icelord

dustdevil February 4, 2010 09:16 PM

You need to grow a pretty tomato, since presentation is important to a chef. If you really want to do well, grow KY heirlooms and the local clientel will be smiling. Maria at Blue Ribbon would be a good one to talk to about KY varieties.

johno February 4, 2010 09:50 PM

Out of those four, Black Krim is my personal favorite for taste. But they all taste good. For production and appearance, I'd go with Paul Robeson.

pete February 4, 2010 10:11 PM

I'm just an hour or so north of you here in Cincinnati. I grew paul robeson and it was very productive but not as flavorful as cherokee purple.
I am growing JD's this year along with cherokee purple. Paul Robeson seems to be a favorite for a lot of growers but the flavor in my garden was not great. I have also grown carbon, black pear, and black prince and they are not on the list this year. Black Krim does well in hot dry years for me, after last year I am trying amazon chocolate, black brandywine (2 sources), liz birt, Indian stripe, spudakee, and vorlon.
It would be a good idea to grow a few varieties in case your main pick don't pick good (english teach rolls in grave).

Pete

DeanRIowa February 4, 2010 10:37 PM

I personally like the flavor, size, and production of Paul Robeson.

Dean

habitat_gardener February 5, 2010 12:22 AM

I grew Black Krim one year here in no-rain-in-the-summer land. For me, it produced a whole bunch at once, the first half of the (long) season. The fruit was more perishable than almost any other one I've grown -- it had to be eaten or processed within a day or two iirc. The flavor was pretty good to great, but after I ran out of people to give them to, I cooked some and they were incredibly rich and luscious. So if you can sell your chefs on a fabulous cooking tomato, and you can get a dry summer :), this is a great choice.

On the other hand, I grew it only one year. Does it split a lot in rainy summers?

pacmanJohn February 5, 2010 08:47 AM

Thanks for all of the advice. Cherokee Purple is definitely a beautiful tomato but just not sure about the production. Sounds like there are some Paul Robeson fans out there. I may just have to grow all four and see :D .

dokutaaguriin February 5, 2010 08:55 AM

JD's has my vote!
Jeff