Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Mat-Su Express (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43218)

Ricky Shaw March 14, 2017 06:05 PM

I like this a lot.

PureHarvest March 14, 2017 07:10 PM

May be overkill, but I will have 4 grafted M-SE ready in May along with standard seedlings.

Hollylasue March 14, 2017 07:22 PM

I'm growing it this year too.Maybe it will do well in north Alabama!

jtjmartin March 14, 2017 07:37 PM

I have Mat-su ready to go in Williamsburg VA - regular and grafted. I'll probably place one out in a wall of water early.

greenthumbomaha March 14, 2017 07:58 PM

Tomatoes in March, spectacular. So red and juicy. Beyond words beautiful.

That is a good idea to transplant a seedling in an earthbox now. Up and down temp swings like many of the other states. Not looking good for an early in-ground harvest this year.

- Lisa

AlittleSalt March 14, 2017 08:14 PM

Mine are sitting behind me saying, "Plant me!" I can't wait to see how they will do here in Texas.

AKmark March 14, 2017 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;625450]I'm growing quite a few plants; 4 plants in Root Pouches, 4 in EarthBoxes.

This tomato was grown in an EB with a SkyReacher Partner. This plant was not among the first planted out but was the first to produce a ripe tomato. So it is the earliest.

The taste was yummy; The tomato had thin skin, and intense flavor. The picture doesn't do justice to the deep color.

Next time I will get pictures with the good camera.[/QUOTE]

Glad you liked it, many in the M-S E, A. family of the original cross produce intense tasting tomatoes as you described. You will also like the Mat-Su Super B./ B family. Those have smoother fruit to an extent, and seem to produce serious loads of tomatoes. Trusses on those plants threw up to 45 flowers on some, we just pruned a bunch off. Same good tasting fruit on most plants, a few were not quite as intense as A, but of course we don't save seed from those. My selection for my F6 was very good, and I have a bunch of those seeds going now.

The purpose of these crosses Sherry and I have been working on is, early - early mid-season tomatoes, THAT TASTE GREAT, not... okay, decent, average, pretty good, or almost good. LOL
We will get out some others soon, Sherry has a dark tomato ( Susitna) that is one of the best blacks I have ate, the F7' s are growing now. Neither of us is interested in ever selling seeds or anything like that, we just like good tasting tomatoes that we can grow well in AK.
Going to do some Rebel Yell crosses this year:yes:

AlittleSalt March 15, 2017 12:10 AM

[QUOTE=AKmark;625552]Going to do some Rebel Yell crosses this year:yes:[/QUOTE]

One to keep the fruit size around the same, and it should taste excellent, with it being semi-det to Indet production. I suggest a cross of Rebel Yell with Bradley.

peebee March 15, 2017 01:22 AM

I can't wait to eat my first MSE! Got my seeds from Cole Robbie, thank you! Sowed 5, all sprouted. Fingers crossed that they will do well here in my long-season climate. :D

AKmark March 15, 2017 02:07 AM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;625557]One to keep the fruit size around the same, and it should taste excellent, with it being semi-det to Indet production. I suggest a cross of Rebel Yell with Bradley.[/QUOTE]

I have both of those going, Cole sent me some Bradley to try. LOL We will try that cross and send you some seeds

AlittleSalt March 15, 2017 10:54 AM

Sounds great Mark. Both are really good tasting tomatoes that produce well.

TC_Manhattan March 17, 2017 09:29 AM

I'm growing Ma-Su Express (f5 I think) this year, seeds courtesy of Cole Robbie.

How big do the plants get? Can I grow it in a 5 gallon container?

kchd.. March 17, 2017 09:53 AM

I'm growing M-S E in c. Mississippi this year. Looking forward to seeing how they grow, and more importantly, how they taste!

Barb_FL March 22, 2017 04:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=TC_Manhattan;626056]I'm growing Ma-Su Express (f5 I think) this year, seeds courtesy of Cole Robbie.

How big do the plants get? Can I grow it in a 5 gallon container?[/QUOTE]

My seeds came from Cole Robbie too and plants did not get huge. For the ones growing in Root Pouches, they are 5 gallon b/c that's what Mark does.

Here's a couple of plants growing on my pool deck. My biggest producer though should be the runt of the litter (due to Russet Mites) which was stuck in an EarthBox with minimal potting mix replacement. It's partner was the runt of the litter too.

I made the mistake of pairing one in an EB with SkyReacher and facing N-S vs E-W. SkyReacher is a much bigger plant and hogging the sun. Another EB has really big Matsu Express tomatoes.

AKmark March 22, 2017 04:18 PM

Very nice Barb, they sure seem to like that Florida sun. Those trusses are loaded up, especially that one on the bottom left. Super nice, very healthy looking plants.