Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   light frost predicted (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10094)

duajones January 13, 2009 04:40 PM

light frost predicted

or maybe even a little colder. Brussel sprouts are supposed to benefit from light frost, should I worry about covering the plants or let them be. And rather than do a second post in the fruit forum, I have a blueberry plant in a container and post the exact same question concerning them. Cover or let them be?

Tomaat January 13, 2009 05:17 PM

The Blueberry bush should be able to take light frost so there is no need to cover it.

Worth1 January 13, 2009 06:43 PM

I just put out 45 cabbage plants, 18 Cauliflower and 18 Broccoli plants.

I hope it doesn't kill them.

Worth

duajones January 13, 2009 06:54 PM

my neighbor tells me he has never covered his cabbage plants and never had a problem. I am thinking since brussel sprouts are similiar I probably dont need to cover them

ContainerTed January 13, 2009 07:15 PM

You folks over there in "warmville" send us some hot rocks or something. The forecast for "HOT?-lanta" has the temperature going down to 12 F and 14 F in the heat island area of downtown. Out here, we usually get something about 6 or so degrees colder. Hard freeze time is a'coming.

bcday January 13, 2009 08:47 PM

12 F and 14 F -- ABOVE zero? The forecast here is for 0 tomorrow night, 8 below on Thursday night, and 13 below on Friday. And I'm reading about folks in Texas out in their gardens planting stuff? Hey, send some of that warm Texas weather up our way too!

-- BC, watching the lake-effect snowflakes gently drifting down to cover everything in the garden with a white blanket. :|

Worth1 January 13, 2009 08:59 PM

[quote=bcday;116504]12 F and 14 F -- ABOVE zero? The forecast here is for 0 tomorrow night, 8 below on Thursday night, and 13 below on Friday. And I'm reading about folks in Texas out in their gardens planting stuff? Hey, send some of that warm Texas weather up our way too!

-- BC, watching the lake-effect snowflakes gently drifting down to cover everything in the garden with a white blanket. :|[/quote]

We are Going to get in the upper 20's tonight.

I have all of my windows open to let in some fresh air.:yes:

Worth

roamwhereiwant2 January 13, 2009 09:20 PM

It's going to be 37 tonight but we've got a low of 13 predicted for Thursday night. It had been in the low 50s at night and I even had to run the ceiling fan a couple of times last week because the bedroom was too warm for sleep. Nope, Hot-lanta isn't very warm tonight.

Close those windows Worth, you'll freeze yourself!

ContainerTed January 13, 2009 09:29 PM

BC, I did my time in weather purgatory for four years in Washington State and then for three years up in New Hampshire. I can tell you with no uncertainty, that I don't like 20 and 30 below. :no: /puke :x

When salt water freezes, as what they call the "Great Bay" in New Hampshire did (and I'm talking about 12 inches deep), I KNOW without doubt that the latitude of my location is a much larger number than I can be comfortable with. :?: :( :evil:

I came here because of the "Hot-lanta" thing.8-) :roll:

Ted
(who likes 65+ as a minimum):P :P

rnewste January 13, 2009 09:35 PM

Sorry to post this, but we made it to 77 yesterday, and a "cooler" 75 today. :twisted:. Forecast is to get colder to 70 by the weekend...... in Northern California.

(I grew up in Rochester so I know what cold, snowy weather is like). /puke

Ray

Nightshade January 13, 2009 09:51 PM

I almost afraid of jinxing a good thing, but our day time temperatures are in the high sixties and they're seeing 85F down the hill in Palm Springs.

I'm sending the warm rocks C.O.D., Ted. How many would you like?:twisted:

rxkeith January 13, 2009 10:55 PM

lows are gonna be at or near zero for the next few days here in the thumb. highs aren't gonna be much above double digits. light frost would be an improvement for me.

i moved down from the U.P. to this????????

ps and to answer the original question, blueberry and brussells sprout will be fine.

keith

newatthiskat January 13, 2009 11:28 PM

Hey Ray!:P :P :P :P :P
Kat

rnewste January 13, 2009 11:41 PM

[quote=newatthiskat;116524]Hey Ray!:P :P :P :P :P
Kat[/quote]

Yeah, I KNEW I was going to get that!!:))

Maybe you guys will be laughing when I fall into a crevice on the San Andres fault when we get the "big one". :wait:

In the meantime, my snow peas are loving it:

[IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/rnewste/IMG_6582.jpg[/IMG]

Ray:P:P:P:P

Wi-sunflower January 14, 2009 10:33 AM

Yup, sprouts will take down to mid teens if it's only for about a day and then gets back up over freezing. 2 years ago we had a mild early winter and were still picking fresh sprouts to sell at an indoor market the middle of Jan. The 2 winters since then tho mine have killed before Christmas. The last 2 Wisconsin Decembers have been rather brutal.

I would say the Bluberries are OK too, UNLESS the bushes are blooming. The blooms would freeze and you would lose that set of fruit. Just like with any fruit trees that get a frost during blooming.