Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   True North Tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35894)

KarenO April 6, 2015 08:13 PM

True North Tomatoes

F3- the Next Generation:

It was not easy to choose which of the F2's to work with first. There were a number from each cross that I thought were worth bringing forward. I decided to go with three potato leaf hearts to begin with as they are unique ,each in their way. Hoping to stabilize a bicolour, a black and a ribbed dark pink/purple heart. All three have a clear epidermis in the F2. The flavour was great on all three and all three were early enough to produce in my zone 3 garden.
If you are interested, you can watch the progress on my garden page at:
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.525366374271222.1073741862.165594393581757&type=1[/URL]

KarenO

SharonRossy April 9, 2015 12:43 AM

Karen, it's amazing! Wishing you great success. Remember when you get something stabilized, I'll take some seed! Good work. We need delicious tomatoes in our northern climes!:D

AKmark April 9, 2015 01:45 AM

Nice looking starts Karen, good luck with the project.

ginger2778 April 9, 2015 07:49 AM

Me wanty!

efisakov April 9, 2015 08:22 AM

Wow, KarenO, love all your beautiful gardens: backyard, greenhouse, and community.
Your crosses look amazing. Nice hobby with crossing tomatoes.
Excellent videos. All the tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchinis, beens, lettuce, herbs...
Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to your 2015 postings.

KarenO April 9, 2015 10:16 AM

Thank you for the kind comments, I really appreciate the encouragement I have received here at TV since I started this project.
I am so looking forward to the time when I can send stable seed to my Tomatoville friends to try. It's a slow process and it tests my impatient nature sometimes but I do think they will be worth waiting for in the end. Please continue to look in from time to time to see how they are doing. I am interested in any comments and ideas folks here have.
Karen

heirloomtomaguy April 9, 2015 10:30 AM

I wish i could see the link but i dont use facebook. :no:

efisakov April 9, 2015 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=heirloomtomaguy;463347]I wish i could see the link but i dont use facebook. :no:[/QUOTE]

I do not use Facebook but can see the link and videos.

KarenO April 9, 2015 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=heirloomtomaguy;463347]I wish i could see the link but i dont use facebook. :no:[/QUOTE]

Hiya,
It's a public Gardening page I call Northern Gardener so anyone should be able to see it I think, even folks who do not have FB accounts themselves.
have a try and let me know if you can't see the album please
KarenO

bower April 9, 2015 07:22 PM

Yes, I can see it although I don't use Facebook.

Don't forget to post here too, Karen, so us non-FB users are reminded to see what's new. I hope you have a great season, and may you find the stable traits you seek! :) And share em wit us, of course. ;)

KarenO April 10, 2015 02:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
24 of each. So far so good with (as I thought) 100% potato leaf seedlings. Strong and vigorous with first true leaves. Opening up the greenhouse and potting up on the weekend
Karen

KarenO April 10, 2015 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the three selections I'm working with this year. All Indeterminate potato leaf plants. This one chosen for odd colour and shape, ribbed blunt hearts. Meaty few seeds and fantastic flavour very dark pink/purple with clear epidermis. "Tundra" is what I call it

KarenO April 10, 2015 03:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Midnight Sun: meaty bicolour hearts ripen pale yellow all the way to a dark apricot with dark pink/ yellow marbled interior. Great flavour. Clear epidermis

KarenO April 10, 2015 03:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And "Polaris " a very large clear epidermis black, no green shoulders, phenomenal flavour, later than the other two but had to grow it. This one was 1 lb 11.5 oz and honestly the best tomato I have ever grown/ tasted.

ginger2778 April 10, 2015 06:14 AM

How exciting Karen. They are all gorgeous. So nice to see a new selection of PL hearts.