Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   skirret, parsley root, chervil root (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43134)

habitat_gardener November 18, 2016 05:48 PM

skirret, parsley root, chervil root

I was reading a book about flavorful vegetables to grow, and these three (all in the carrot-parsley-celery family) caught my eye. The chervil root, especially, is supposed to have an incredible taste -- it is not the same plant as the leafy herb (Anthriscus). Root chervil is Chaerophyllum bulbosum.

Has anyone tried growing these?

Is there a seed source in the U.S. for root chervil?
[B]
[/B]

Jimbotomateo November 22, 2016 01:37 AM

Nudge

[QUOTE=habitat_gardener;600494]I was reading a book about flavorful vegetables to grow, and these three (all in the carrot-parsley-celery family) caught my eye. The chervil root, especially, is supposed to have an incredible taste -- it is not the same plant as the leafy herb (Anthriscus). Root chervil is Chaerophyllum bulbosum.

Has anyone tried growing these?

Is there a seed source in the U.S. for root chervil?
[B]
[/B][/QUOTE]
They're all fabulous. seriously though someone should know with all the brainiacs in this group!:lol: .

MarianneW November 22, 2016 09:12 AM

I enjoy a good search....and the one place in the US that has chervil root is out. You might email them and ask about a packet? Otherwise, here's the place I found that will ship to the US at Ł25 in shipping. Eeek! However, I am happy to get together with you to all order at once and split the shipping and someone divide the order and ship the rest to the other person domestically.
[url]https://www.otterfarm.co.uk/product/chervil-root/[/url]

Tormato November 25, 2016 12:46 PM

I trialed two parsley roots this year, both were bland. I'll stick with carrots, I think.

habitat_gardener November 25, 2016 03:05 PM

[QUOTE=Tormato;601532]I trialed two parsley roots this year, both were bland. I'll stick with carrots, I think.[/QUOTE]

There is more than one variety of parsley root available? I've only seen Hamburg.

Were the greens ok?

MrBig46 November 25, 2016 04:44 PM

In the Czech cuisine is the root parsley along with the carrots most commonly used vegetables. This corresponds with a large number of varieties for different growing conditions. Growing parsley root is more challenging than carrots.
Vladimír

MrBig46 November 25, 2016 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=MrBig46;601572]In the Czech cuisine is the root parsley along with the carrots most commonly used vegetables. This corresponds with a large number of varieties for different growing conditions. Growing parsley root is more challenging than carrots.
Vladimír[/QUOTE]

Tormato November 26, 2016 12:10 PM

[QUOTE=habitat_gardener;601558]There is more than one variety of parsley root available? I've only seen Hamburg.

Were the greens ok?[/QUOTE]

Not sure. I didn't try any, but my brother kept cutting them all summer and fall.

The Czech Rep. is the epicenter of parsley root varieties.;)

MrBig46 November 26, 2016 01:45 PM

Tormato is right. Currently they are selling seeds of these varieties of root parsley: Konika,Olomoucká dlouhá, Alba, Osborne, Hanácká, Atika, Jadran, Orbis, Dobra.
Vladimír

habitat_gardener November 26, 2016 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=MrBig46;601671]Tormato is right. Currently they are selling seeds of these varieties of root parsley: Konika,Olomoucká dlouhá, Alba, Osborne, Hanácká, Atika, Jadran, Orbis, Dobra.
Vladimír[/QUOTE]

Wow!

I've found leaf parsley challenging to grow. The most reliable method is to let my plants go to seed, then transplant the seedlings.

Ken B November 29, 2016 09:50 AM

Fedco sometimes has skirret, but make sure to order it in December, it usually sells out fast!