Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Flowers 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43778)

AlittleSalt February 1, 2017 01:19 PM

Flowers 2017

2 Attachment(s)
I'm moving leaves today and noticed a patch of Henbit flowering. Here is an interesting link with lots of info [URL]http://www.ediblewildfood.com/henbit.aspx[/URL]

MissS February 1, 2017 11:59 PM

What a pretty little spring flower. Thanks for the link because I learned something. When I first saw your picture, I thought, hmm it looks like the hummers might like this one. And they do.

AlittleSalt February 2, 2017 01:26 AM

Hummingbirds, bees, and we can eat the henbit (Probably won't). Most importantly, they are our first flowers this year. There were European honey bees feeding on them today.

It made me thank of Jeff Foxworthy type joke - If European honey bees - it's bound to hurt. Could be worse than a shark bite? :lol:

MissS February 5, 2017 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;615361]Hummingbirds, bees, and we can eat the henbit (Probably won't). Most importantly, they are our first flowers this year. There were European honey bees feeding on them today.

It made me thank of Jeff Foxworthy type joke - If European honey bees - it's bound to hurt. Could be worse than a shark bite? :lol:[/QUOTE]

:D Do you still have any Mina lobata seeds or are you in need of some?

Spike2 February 5, 2017 11:15 PM

Those are really pretty!!

AlittleSalt February 5, 2017 11:22 PM

Patti, I'll PM you.

The Henbit is the first flowering plants I've seen on our property this year. I have seen some Dandelions flowering already on the south side of a building about 7 miles away. The forecast for this upcoming week is an odd one. A few days of highs around 85F, then some lows in the 30s, and back in the mid 80s again. It's going to be interesting to see what grows and flowers here this year.

Edit: Thank you Spike. they are a weed here that can become invasive, but not like morning glories or Johnson grass - nothing like that.. Oh a perfect way of describing them - they are like clover...just different looking.

BigVanVader February 6, 2017 07:34 AM

Last year taught me how important flowers are for the garden. Every year before moving I would use the companion planting method and mix in herbs/flowers in every row in the garden. Since moving I never got around to planting any and had huge issues with caterpillars. Before I would get some, but they would quickly be covered in egg sacks from braconid wasp. So I have plans to get back to my old method this year. Looks better and less work for me so a win-win.

bower February 6, 2017 08:48 AM

I have to subscribe to this for another taste of Texan spring. :D

AlittleSalt February 12, 2017 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the first signs that Spring is on its way.

MissS February 12, 2017 07:49 PM

That is just lovely. I like how you have it popping out of the green ivy. The background really sets it off nicely.

And... isn't it nice to know that Spring is on it's way.

AlittleSalt February 12, 2017 10:14 PM

The flowers are planted under a medium sized oak tree that is beside a huge oak tree. They get almost no sun. Yet, they produce flowers every year, and the ivy doesn't wrap around them. They grow together well.

GrowingCoastal February 12, 2017 11:42 PM

Nice. Ours are still buried in snow for a change this year.

AlittleSalt February 25, 2017 04:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The blue flower is a lupine. The white one is on a wild plum tree.

MissS February 25, 2017 06:40 PM

While I am far from being a Texan, it seems quite early for these to be blooming down there.

I love lupines of all sorts. I start some every year, only to have the rabbits and deer come to have brunch on them. I maybe get one plant to bloom each season... So sad...

AlittleSalt February 28, 2017 02:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The Oxalis are already doing thier thing. I like the leaves even more than the flowers.