Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   This vs That ...2018 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46885)

Gardeneer March 3, 2018 09:36 PM

This vs That ...2018

I am growing Brandy Boy and Brandywine Sudduth this year. I have grown Br.By before and I like it. I have also grown generic Brandywine (pink , PL) couple of times but it was a failure.

It is too early to do a review now as my seedlings are still growing under light. So will come back to review them perhaps in June.
In the mean time you may do your vs. Reviews of what interests you. I have learned a lot from vs. threads in the past, like Big Boy , Better Boy vs Big Beef.6

HudsonValley March 4, 2018 01:39 AM

I grew Brandy Boy side-by-side with Brandywine Sudduth's in 2017. Brandy Boy did better, in terms of production, but they were quite similar in flavor. It was a fun experiment! I learned that I'm a tomato lover who doesn't especially care for the flavor of Brandywine/Brandy Boy, but that's another story. My other "vs." for 2017 was Japanese Black Trifele vs. Black Pear vs. Black Truffle (the last is a Burpee selection from Black Pear, I think). They were all fantastic, and I'd grow any or all of them again. This year might feature a match-up between Peach Blow Sutton and Garden Peach, just to get the "novelty" tomato bug out of my system. :)

Hatgirl March 4, 2018 05:27 AM

Minibel vs Balconi Red vs Maskotka vs Garden Pearl / Gartenperle
I've had these packets of red cherry micros/compact tumblers since 2014! But I kept getting distracted by micro yellows or pears or small slicers.
I have two plants of each under lights at the moment. The Gartenperles are already 3 times bigger than the Minibels!

Nan_PA_6b March 4, 2018 01:33 PM

My "versus" for 2018:
[LIST][*] [B]Buzau 22[/B] vs. [B]Buzau 47[/B] (both from Romania)[*] [B]Colgar Alacon[/B] vs. [B]Flor de Artana[/B] vs [B]Ramallet des Figueral[/B] vs. [B]Ramallet Ibiza Blanca[/B] vs. [B]Ramallet San Llorens [/B](hanging varieties, all from Spain)[*] [B]Dotson's Lebanese Heart[/B] vs. [B]Kosovo[/B][*] ([B]Dr. Carolyn[/B] & [B]Wild Tiger[/B]) vs. ([B]Post Office Spoonful[/B] & [B]Sungold[/B])[*] [B]Mat-Su Express[/B] vs. [B]Big Beef F1[/B][*] [B]Pomodoro di Sorrento[/B] vs. [B]Pomodoro sel. Sorrento[/B] (both from Italy)[*] [B]Post Office Spoonful[/B] vs. [B]Post Office Runt[/B] (two different fruit sizes that showed up last year)[*][B]Timpurii[/B] (Romanian, name means "Early") vs. [B]Early Girl F1[/B][/LIST]

Worth1 March 4, 2018 07:26 PM

I'm growing only one variety I cant compare it to anything.:lol:

Worth

Spartanburg123 March 4, 2018 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;687073]My "versus" for 2018:
[LIST][*] [B]Buzau 22[/B] vs. [B]Buzau 47[/B] (both from Romania)[*] [B]Colgar Alacon[/B] vs. [B]Flor de Artana[/B] vs [B]Ramallet des Figueral[/B] vs. [B]Ramallet Ibiza Blanca[/B] vs. [B]Ramallet San Llorens [/B](hanging varieties, all from Spain)[*] [B]Dotson's Lebanese Heart[/B] vs. [B]Kosovo[/B][*] ([B]Dr. Carolyn[/B] & [B]Wild Tiger[/B]) vs. ([B]Post Office Spoonful[/B] & [B]Sungold[/B])[*] [B]Mat-Su Express[/B] vs. [B]Big Beef F1[/B][*] [B]Pomodoro di Sorrento[/B] vs. [B]Pomodoro sel. Sorrento[/B] (both from Italy)[*] [B]Post Office Spoonful[/B] vs. [B]Post Office Runt[/B] (two different fruit sizes that showed up last year)[*][B]Timpurii[/B] (Romanian, name means "Early") vs. [B]Early Girl F1[/B][/LIST][/QUOTE]

Well now that's a challenging list! Kosovo is a fantastic reputable tomato on here! I'm also interesting in your POS "Runt" comparison- I'm pulling for the little fella!!

Nan_PA_6b March 4, 2018 11:09 PM

Thanks, Darin! (BTW, the "versus" doesn't mean there has to be a winner and a loser for each.)

Nan

FarmerShawn March 5, 2018 10:00 AM

Brandywine Sudduth's Strain vs. Brandywine Cowlicks vs. Brandywine from Croatia vs. Brandywine Liam's.
Are there any more "Brandywines" to compare?
(I have stopped growing basic Brandywine Pinks, though they were fine tomatoes.)

Shawn

hl2601 March 9, 2018 11:29 AM

My children all love Black Cherry. This year I am growing Black cherry vs Garnet vs Ron's Carbon Copy. I am also growing Pink Princess vs Pink Ping Pong vs Japanese Pink Cherry. There will be lots of cherries around here!
Heide

hl2601 March 9, 2018 11:34 AM

oops.. and I forgot to add KARMA PINK to that last pink cherry list. Thank you Karen and Marsha-I have 100% germination and am loving watching all those seedlings under lights.
Heide

b54red March 9, 2018 05:59 PM

Every season every variety is compared to all the others and if they don't measure up for too many seasons they get dropped from my grow list. First of all I compare taste and then production. After that things like shelf life, texture, juiciness, and disease tolerance all come into play.

Bill

PaulTandberg March 9, 2018 07:29 PM

- I will be comparing Cherokee Carbon, Marnero, and a grafted Cherokee.

(Last year I grew Marnero and Cherokee (two plants each). Marnero did really well early but petered out late. Cherokee was a frustrating dud.)

- I will be comparing Big Beef, Jet Star, and Park's Whopper.

(Big Beef is a regular for me. I have never grown Jet Star or Whopper. I will interested to see if the Whopper really is a week earlier that Big Beef)

I will be comparing three early determinates, Polbig, Park's Early Start, and Park's Legacy.

(Polbig has worked well for me in getting lots of really early, and good, tomatoes in my little greenhouse, with "lots" bearing repeating.)

Gardeneer March 9, 2018 11:10 PM

Last year I found a volunteer left by the previous owner
Ot turned put a sprt bi color, similar to Ananas Noire
This year I will planted in ground and compare it to AN. in the pot it was a bushy compact indet. How will it do in ground ? Will find out.

PaulTandberg March 10, 2018 12:03 AM

[goof up deleted]

JosephineRose March 15, 2018 12:16 PM

I am doing Kellogg's Breakfast vs KBX and Black Krim vs BKX.